Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please never downgrade to older versions

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Please never downgrade to older versions

Once you have upgraded to a newer version, installing an older version to downgrade may cause irreversible data corruption. We'll explicitly block this in a future release, but for now please avoid doing this.

If a new version you upgraded to has issues, let's try to resolve the issues. Going back in version usually cases more problems. If you must do that, you will probably have to delete all data on your computer and resync the account from remote server.

Angi is offline Active Member

Hi jjzhuang,

In Zimbra Desktop:

I do not think you should block this in the future.

For instance:
    In "1537 release", groups were available to send emails; in "1593 release" they are not.

I most of the time use groups to send emails so I cannot afford to keep "1593 release", in fact it is useless for me if I cannot use groups. So I have to go back to a previous release.

That's why you should not block it.

In fact, it should always be possible to go back....

Good day.

rev.derek is offline Active Member

I agree, please don't block it. While recognising that database errors can and probably will occur, it is sometimes easier to downgrade and fix than backup to a remote server and replace.
    I think it would help if you made your beta versions more widely/readily available to downgrade becomes less likely due to a more robust upgrade.
    (I'm still waiting for the "beta" of Desktop v2 because I need multiple users per machine on Windows.)

Filly is offline Junior Member

if your so-called newer version would work how they supposed to work, that would be an option. but of course they DON'T, so i will downgrade to older versions

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    if your so-called newer version would work how they supposed to work, that would be an option. but of course they DON'T, so i will downgrade to older versions
    Instead of posting trite little message in the forums how about posting some details so that people can try and help you?

Do you have a problem with Zimbra Desktop or not? If it's ZD what exactly is the problem? Give a full description of what the problem is and exact steps to reproduce it.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

joelauri is offline Junior Member

If you block going backwards you will be loosing your users because if the new version do not work as expected then what??? Please do not do like Microsoft be nice to us. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joelauri View Post
    If you block going backwards you will be loosing your users because if the new version do not work as expected then what???
    Well, the answer would be called a 'backup'. Sometimes it's not technically possible to downgrade a software package because of the changes made to the product, downgrading over the new version may break the product and lose you data - would you be happy with that? The correct thing to do would be to a) backup your machine before upgrading and b) export the data before you upgrade. You should always make sure you don't blindly upgrade to a new product without testing it first, the responsibility to protect your data is yours and not anyone else.
    Regards

Bill

pcharles is offline Junior Member

Default Good to know about blocking on the betas

I thought I would give version 2 a try on a different machine because I really like version 1 on my Macbook, but unfortunately I'll be going back to version 1 because of what I consider to be deal breaker problems. I know it is just a beta release, but here are Just a few of the issues:

1. Many of the version 1 color schemes are missing, including the excellent Yahoo theme! In most of the remaining themes, the tab text is virtually unreadable.

2. Where did all the preferences go? When I click preferences all I see is the global page to select colors.

3. Version 2 takes almost 30 seconds longer to load on my brand new Core i7 iMac than version 1 takes on my old Core Duo Macbook.

Quote Originally Posted by pcharles View Post
    I know it is just a beta release, but here are Just a few of the issues:
    I guess you missed this announcement then: General Availability of Zimbra Desktop 2.0!

1. Many of the version 1 color schemes are missing, including the excellent Yahoo theme! In most of the remaining themes, the tab text is virtually unreadable.
    What do you mean by 'unreadable'? Too small; colours problems etc...?

2. Where did all the preferences go? When I click preferences all I see is the global page to select colors.
    Goto the Preferences tab then look at the left-hand pane, what do you see there?
    Regards

Bill

pcharles is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I guess you missed this announcement then: General Availability of Zimbra Desktop 2.0!

What do you mean by 'unreadable'? Too small; colours problems etc...?

Goto the Preferences tab then look at the left-hand pane, what do you see there?
    You mean this is not a beta?

Unreadable primarily due to the lack of contrast except in the twilight theme, which has loads and loads of contrast. So I am pretty much stuck with smoke right now.

Ah! I see you moved them. Why did you do that? What was wrong with the way they were?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information