Thread: Applying Mail Filters on Existing Mails

sammi101082 is offline Active Member

Default Applying Mail Filters on Existing Mails

Hello,

In OL and Thunderbird, users can apply new rules/filters on existing email. I'm unable to find this in ZDesktop. Is it possible? Could not find any reference to this in the Forums here.

I understand that import of filters is not supported currently. I have migrated my Exchange account from OL to ZDesktop. Now my problem is that I'll have to recreate the huge set of filters again. And since its been a while since I migrated, I cant run the filters on already existing mail.

Any help would great here.

Re,
    Sam

ilovemymac is offline Intermediate Member

Lightbulb Filters.

Hi Sam! I understand about filters, extremely important for me as well. To create new filters, go to the "Options" tab after "Briefcase" on Zdesktop... there you'll see Global, Mail, etc. until you reach the "Filters" tab. Create just like Tbird, plus to me it seems like Zdesktop's way more user friendly!

I had a boatload of filters on Gmail as well as Y! webmail, what I did on Zdesktop was make generalized filters at first. However, I've found the filters currently running in Y!/Gmail still go to their assigned folders and IMAP takes care of the rest because I've synced all my folders. Don't know if this helps, but I tried!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by ilovemymac; 12-06-2008 at 12:02 PM.
    Be the change you want to see in the world... go MAC!

Hello ilovemymac,

Thanks for replying. Existing filters on IMAP are working well as I'm syncing all folders. But my problem is that the new filters I have created on ZDesktop come with no option to "apply them" to existing mails, unlike OL. So I'm manually moving all the mails to the correct folder.

Re,
    Sam

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by sammi101082 View Post
    Hello ilovemymac,

Thanks for replying. Existing filters on IMAP are working well as I'm syncing all folders. But my problem is that the new filters I have created on ZDesktop come with no option to "apply them" to existing mails, unlike OL. So I'm manually moving all the mails to the correct folder.

Re,
    Sam
    This is a feature we haven't implemented.

BTW, we don't syncrhonize with Yahoo/Gmail server side filters. If you are a Yahoo or Gmail user, your best bet is to continue using server side filters.

Smile For Sam (& his filters)

Hi Sam!

No prob, having all those filters is really a hassle, isn't it? What I did was 1) get rid o' my Y! webmail filters [after the folder sync] I was up to the max on the freebies anyhow 2) created "general" filters on Zdesktop. So, when I brought it all over Zdesktop handed them nicely to the "appropriate" folders. Howya liking the change from OL?

I do want to point out a distinction between server side filter and client side filter. Server side filter is run at delivery time, so if you have a filter to file certain messages into a folder a qualifying message will be filed into that folder at delivery. Client side filter is run when we download the message, so the same type of filter will cause a move of the message from Inbox into another folder. Then we in turn tell the server to delete the message from Inbox but add to the other folder. So there's quite a bit of inefficiency there, and that is why in general we recommend people using server side filter whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemymac View Post
    Hi Sam!

No prob, having all those filters is really a hassle, isn't it? What I did was 1) get rid o' my Y! webmail filters [after the folder sync] I was up to the max on the freebies anyhow 2) created "general" filters on Zdesktop. So, when I brought it all over Zdesktop handed them nicely to the "appropriate" folders. Howya liking the change from OL?
    Sleek :-) Let me also try to do this and see how it works out for me on Y!Mail amd Gmail.

Thanks ilovemymac,
    Sam

Default Nice explanation!

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    I do want to point out a distinction between server side filter and client side filter. Server side filter is run at delivery time, so if you have a filter to file certain messages into a folder a qualifying message will be filed into that folder at delivery. Client side filter is run when we download the message, so the same type of filter will cause a move of the message from Inbox into another folder. Then we in turn tell the server to delete the message from Inbox but add to the other folder. So there's quite a bit of inefficiency there, and that is why in general we recommend people using server side filter whenever possible.
    Great. Now I do see the issue here when I ask for "Apply to existing mails" with new filters. Looks like its time for me to add to my server side filters and let the sync do the rest for me.

Thanks jjzhuang,
    Sam

Thumbs up RE: Sam's Filters

Quote Originally Posted by sammi101082 View Post
    Sleek :-) Let me also try to do this and see how it works out for me on Y!Mail amd Gmail.

Thanks ilovemymac,
    Sam
    Hey Sam!

No problemo... I had about 20 folders to sync from Y!, Gmail & AIM. Um, er a lot [for me]. & doing creating the "general" filters were my way of organized chaos. [lol] Hope all gets worked out in time!

Thread Information