Thread: [SOLVED] Message replies don't go to inbox?

lhhill is offline Starter Member

Default [SOLVED] Message replies don't go to inbox?

Our university just switched over to campus-wide Zimbra webmail. I've only been using it for a week or two, and I'm somewhat confused by the way Zimbra handles message replies and forwards.

Here's the situation: I've set up a number of mail folders. Someone sent me a message, and I replied, then I moved their original message to a mail folder that I had set up. Subsequently, they sent a reply to my reply -- but their reply did not go to my inbox, but instead went to another mail folder where I had filed their original message.

At first I thought I had set up a mail filter, but I had no filter that would have caused the message to be sent to another folder.

I realize that it's great to have the messages threaded all together in one place, but other webmail systems such as Gmail at least have all inbound messages appear in the inbox, no matter if they are new messages or part of a thread.

Am I missing something here? Is this caused by a preference setting that I'm unaware of? I'm just concerned that I'm missing incoming replies to e-mails because they skip the inbox and go directly to where the original message was filed.
    Last edited by lhhill; 12-04-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typos

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

It doesn't get filed in the folder with the original message, you are probably looking at the Conversation view. Do you see the little arrow to the left of the message? If you do, click on that to expand the conversation or double click on the message you see. That should open the Converstion and show the Folder the message is in.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

lhhill is offline Starter Member

Default Message replies don't always go to inbox

Bill -- thanks for the very quick reply. I didn't know about the arrow, and I now see it expands so I can see the conversation thread. That's useful for me to know, but I'm still not clear on something. Without any mail filter, shouldn't a reply to a message always, always go to my inbox? That didn't happen in this case. I manually moved a message to another folder, and it seems like that set up a de facto filter, sending any subsequent replies/threads to that folder. I'm not saying that all replies to messages skip the inbox -- I know that's not the case b/c I see many replies in my inbox. I'm just wondering if this happened because I moved the original message to another folder, so the thread then moved to that folder?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

No, the reply to any mail (without filters on your account) will go to the Inbox - Zimbra does not move mail on it's own. If you're absolutely certain there's no filters and the reply is definitely going to the new folder then you'd best ask your support desk (I guess you have one) or some help documentation (have you got any campus help pages)?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information