Thread: Send / Receive All feature

roi
    roi is offline Junior Member

Default Send / Receive All feature

I am using Zimbra Desktop,the latest build.

Great client,but i am missing some useful features,that other clients have standard.

Since Zimbra Desktop is ment to act as a desktop email client like Mozilla Thunderbird or Outlook,it should implement a feature that collects simultanously the emails from all accounts you have cofigured (the send / receive all - send / receive emails from all accounts),which is not present.

I have configured Zimbra to view 3 gmail accounts and one yahoo account. If i want to download the emails from a specific account,i have TO VIEW THE ACCOUNT and click on the Get Mail icon. I have to do this 4 times - for all 4 accounts,if i want to see if there are mails globally in all my 5 accounts.

I know that Zimbra Desktop can be configured to check and get all emails from an account in a specific time interval and if i put the same time for each account,it will download simultanously the emails from all these accounts. But i want to have the option to do this manually,like in Outlook - when i click on Send / Receive all,the program checks ALL accounts simultanously and downloads the emails,or sends emails that wait in Outbox.

In Zimbra,the Get Mail button downloads only the emails from the account i am currently logged in,and not from all,even if i am connected to all my accounts

Is there a workaroud or a solution?

Also,a progress bar during the send / receive procedure would also be nice.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The Zimbra Desktop does download mail on a schedule, click on the 'Setup' in the top right of the Desktop screen. When you've done that go to each of the account settings page and see what the schedule is and change it to your requirements.

When you post a question in future could you post the actual build number and release you have installed, the 'latest build' could be anything depending on when your messages is viewed.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

roi

i am using the version 091 build 1344 of ZDesktop

I think i have been missunderstood.

What i ment,is that there is no GLOBAL (for all logged in accounts) GET MAIL button,as in Outlook or other mail clients,which pressed,Zimbra then only downloads (more likely: refreshes the inboxes) - connection to the accounts has been already established during program start - the emails from all these accounts.

Normally,the known clients,with the "Send / Receive" button,they connect to all mailboxes,open / check them,and download the emails. And close the accounts again.
    As i saw,ZDesktop as a webmail client,is always permanent connected to all the accounts. So,a global "Send / Receive" action normally means that there is no actual downloading process,but a show / refresh one: new emails are shown by refreshing and not downloaded.

In other words: i am seeking for this instant refresh button!

I am speaking of a manual action and not of a scheduled one.

And i noticed something else: the contacts i create (and save) are gone next time i start ZDesktop again. Adressbook is empty!

Is this normal?

To keep my email adresses,i had to insert them in the Notebook! But its not a solution to open the Notebook,copy the email adress and paste it in the "To" field when composing new email.....
    Last edited by roi; 11-26-2008 at 07:06 AM.

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

there's no "sync all" button.

contacts shouldn't be gone. what email account are you using?

roi

There should be (a sync all button)....

Anyway,i configured zimbra to refresh all accounts every 1 minute - the minimum time setting - to "overcome" a little bit the abscense of the global synchronization. If you have many accounts to check,you can check one or two important ones and let Zimbra check in the time of the 1 minute all the others. A "semiglobalsync" function.
    But,still, a global sync feature via button must be implemented...

Contacts get deleted with any restart of Zimbra. The remain saved only for the current run session of Zimbra. With any shutdown and restart,they are gone.

The accounts are 3 gmail and 1 yahoo.

Are these contacts downloaded from yahoo and gmail server? Do they still exist on the servers?

roi

What happens is this:

When i restart the pc - and zimbra starts automatically with tray icon - the manually saved contacts are there!

But when i close zimbra via the tasktray icon and start it then again,the contacts don't show! They appear deleted or nonexistent!

The contacts are not downloaded from my gmail or yahoo acounts. They are entered by me nanually.The email adresses are not yahoo or gmail related.

I wonder if it's a UI display issue. When you see empty addressbok, what happens if you click on the Contacts folder on the left?

Also if you open composer and type one of the contacts in your addressbook, does it auto-complete?

Just want to see if somehow the UI is not displaying the contacts but they are actually there.

mmorse is offline Moderator

roi

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    1. I wonder if it's a UI display issue. When you see empty addressbok, what happens if you click on the Contacts folder on the left?

2. Also if you open composer and type one of the contacts in your addressbook, does it auto-complete?

3. Just want to see if somehow the UI is not displaying the contacts but they are actually there.
    1. When Zimbra starts with Vista,the contact list appears with its saved names / email adresses - i mentioned it before. Contact folder on the left works well: contacts are shown in the right pane. I think,there could not be otherwise.
    Shutting down Zimbra via tasktray icon and restarting it,contacts are gone (no results - as i already mentioned) and naturally the Contact folder is blank. Only the folder "emailed contacts" shows results.

2. Yes. This feature works.

3. The contacts are there of course! How else could Zimbra display them when it starts with the OS. It "forgets" them,if for some reason it is shutting down and restarts during a working PC.
    So,a "backup" of the adressbook as a Document that contains the email data is a must,if you dont want to restart PC or put again and again manually by hand the email adresses,in order to send email. The Save as Document solution only provides a cope and paste feature which is usefull in inserting receipients.

Thread Information