Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gmail

drdrem is offline Senior Member

Default Gmail

Could someone please check and post whether gmail is blocking Zimbra as it's not a supported client? I have tried two different gmail accounts (have verified IMAP "enabled" many times to be sure it's on), verified passwords, etc. One gmail account is very much used while the other is not. So I could see how gmail might lock imap access to the one I use a lot but not the other one which is almost never used. So .... Has Gmail decided to not allow Zimbra Desktop to download their mails?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You posted in the wrong forum, this should be in General Questions.

FWIW, I use gmail accounts with the Desktop without problems. Why do you think google would block any email client form their service?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Gmail, part II

I was finally able to add the lesser used of my two gmail accounts to zimbra, so so much for the theory of Gmail blocking Zimbra users. I still am NOT able to add the other account, the one I use more.

And I wondered about this because on the google page which explains how to set up an imap client it specifically says that if a client is not listed it may not be supported. So, I was guessing (wrongly now, of course) that perhaps Gmail had blocked Zimbra for some reason known only to them.

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I still cannot add the main account although all settings are correct--I've quintuple checked them. I can only surmise now that for whatever reason Google is disallowing me from using IMAP with this account for whatever reason. Ugh.

Default Gmail part iii

BTW, here is the message I get on the account set up page in zimbra desktop when I try to add the gmail account. I also got this message when trying to set up the lesser used account quite a few times, but then finally it went through.

"Service error. Please check your server settings; verify your email address, password or client access permissions (if required)."

I am certain that the password is correct and the user name/email and that imap is turned on for that account. So again, I'm at a loss. It must be something on Google's end. And no, I do not use this account to send mail. Rarely. Mostly for just receiving. Sigh.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I think the implication for 'supported' just means they will support it any other client problems and you contact the vendors support, I don't get the impression that they block any client.

Have you tried completely removing the problem account and recreating it? I assume you're also using the set-up instructions?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

alto is offline Special Member

Talking

Don't you just hate those guys who post it works for me when your having a problem but just so you know it works for me too

just set up gmail on zdesktop and although it took a while to sync and I did not notice that it appeared on the bottom of my screen and thought it had not worked.

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

If you have problem setting up any accounts, please check your logs, zdesktop.out and zdesktop.log, under <install>/log.

The account has been removed fully. I've been trying to add it back in. So, it's not a problem of sending or receiving but it's a problem of Zimbra being allowed to even add it as an account. I have tried to use the option on the set up page for "adding gmail account" as well as adding an "other" imap account. I have tried all combinations of ports and followed gmails instructions fully on the page u linked to me. It's just NOT working. I am posting information below from my OUT file. I know it looks like as if I've not enabled IMAP in Gmail, but I assure you, it IS enabled. And like I said before, I am able to add a different gmail account I dont' use much with the same set up procedures. Ugh.

S: C54 OK UID FETCH completed
    C: C55 UID FETCH 11842:11855 UID
    S: C55 OK UID FETCH completed
    C: C56 LOGOUT
    S: * BYE IMAP4rev1 Server logging out
    S: C56 OK LOGOUT completed
    S: * OK Gimap ready for requests from 98.214.135.20 p32if631999ugc.27
    C: C01 CAPABILITY
    S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UNSELECT IDLE NAMESPACE QUOTA XLIST CHILDREN XYZZY
    S: C01 OK Thats all she wrote! p32if631999ugc.27
    C: C02 LOGIN drdrem@gmail.com <password>
    S: C02 NO [ALERT] Your account is not enabled for IMAP use. Please visit your Gmail settings page and enable your account for IMAP access. (Failure)
    S: * OK Gimap ready for requests from 98.214.135.20 k2if75256ugf.42
    S: C01 OK Thats all she wrote! k2if75256ugf.42
    S: C02 NO [ALERT] Your account is not enabled for IMAP use. Please visit your Gmail settings page and enable your account for IMAP access. (Failure)
    S: * OK Gimap ready for requests from 98.214.135.20 u7if624569uge.36
    S: C01 OK Thats all she wrote! u7if624569uge.36
    S: * OK Gimap ready for requests from 98.214.135.20 20if178071uga.11
    S: C01 OK Thats all she wrote! 20if178071uga.11
    S: * OK Gimap ready for requests from 98.214.135.20 i30if617696ugd.57
    S: C01 OK Thats all she wrote! i30if617696ugd.57
    S: * OK Gimap ready for requests from 98.214.135.20 5if235472eyh.0
    S: C01 OK Thats all she wrote! 5if235472eyh.0
    S: C02 NO [ALERT] Invalid credentials (Failure)
    S: * OK Gimap ready for requests from 98.214.135.20 5if165095eyh.0
    S: C01 OK Thats all she wrote! 5if165095eyh.0
    S: * OK Gimap ready for requests from 98.214.135.20 7if602663eyb.3
    S: C01 OK Thats all she wrote! 7if602663eyb.3

mmorse is offline Moderator

When you say:
    Quote Originally Posted by drdrem View Post
    have verified IMAP "enabled" many times to be sure it's on
    Do you just mean you double checked the option in gmail web-client settings? There could be something wrong with their user DB/LDAP (however they store account attributes). Have you tried connecting via another IMAP client?
    Better yet if you have a *nix box type:
    Code:
    openssl s_client -connect imap.gmail.com:993
    then type:
    Code:
    a01 LOGIN drdrem@gmail.com password
    Do you still get that ALERT message back/can't connect in another thick-client? Time to talk with google's support - then come back to Zimbra Desktop of course
    If you can already use another IMAP client with your account my apologies, I just didn't see you state so.

Thanks for your options. I'll try these, though I don't what "nix box type is. you can email my yahoo account if you have more info on what that is. As for another imap, I did try Windows Live Mail yesterday and got errors, though they were somewhat different. So, yes, def a a google issue here, but since it started with Z I thought I'd see if anyone else was using ZD for Google and having some of the same issues. And Alto, you should keep your blazing success to yourself. GRR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information