Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bug 31450 followup

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

OK, sounds like it's still not fixed. We'll look into it. For now I think we have enough info to go on. Thanks!

ezu
    ezu is offline Loyal Member

Default Bug 31450 followup

I see a response being posted in Bugzilla for bug number 31450 and am confused by it as it appears to be a question from an user rather than an update to the bug from a Zimbra desktop development / support team employee.

I have two questions.

a) I have marked my bug as private (along with attachments too as private). This means that only myself and Zimbra employees can view my bug ? Please let me know if I am correct. (I can see a padlock icon next to my bug listing but am not sure what that means. The reason for asking is for ensuring that sensitive information remains protected)

b) If the bug is due to password protected attachment, it defies logic. Yahoo mail always allows password protected attachments. This will presumably only mean at the most that they cannot be virus scanned at yahoo web mail server. I do not see any reason for Zimbra desktop having any issue with password protected attachment. In fact, Zimbra desktop will not even bother about the attachment or its contents or file type as per me. It is just an attachment which has to be uploaded / downloaded from mail server as per me. Please confirm

ezu, the question was posted by a zimbra QA engineer so please don't be alarmed. You can tell it's a zimbra employee if you check his account email address.

ezu

Unhappy Bug 31450 followup

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    OK, sounds like it's still not fixed. We'll look into it. For now I think we have enough info to go on. Thanks!
    As per Bugzilla, this bug is marked resolved with build 1433. I installed build 1433 on the laptop (it is a Vista Home Premium machine with latest patches available) where all my data store and Zimbra installation is and there are few observations. I had to reinstall build 1433 at least four times before the Zimbra service started properly. The earlier build was 1418. Finally, after reinstallation, for the first few times I clicked Send/Receive, it always resulted in Yahoo Mail (I have a Yahoo Mail Plus account) showing red circle next to account name whereas GMail, YMail etc. were showing green. The mails available in local Zimbra folders also were not available in Yahoo web mail server at that time like before. I continued persisting and clicking Send/Receive every time I got a red circle and as of the time I write, it is again doing a sync as being represented by white moving circle. I presume that as the messages that will not be able to be pushed/pulled to/from yahoo web mail server will be skipped as per the fix in the latest build. This should result in all the other messages being available on Yahoo web mail server / locally in Zimbra. Even though it is showing green circles next to each folder name (except for one folder where it does not show any icon), I cannot find the mails available in local Zimbra desktop on Yahoo web mail server.

I have the following queries.

a) Is the red circle appearing next to Yahoo Mail Plus account due to the Yahoo IMAP issue which will be resolved soon as per the comments available in Bugzilla.

b) What does green circle next to each folder indicate ?
    What is the meaning when there is no circle available next to any folder name ?

The million dollar question is still the same.

Why do I find that mails in local Zimbra desktop are not available in Yahoo web mail server ?
    Why does the Yahoo web mail synchronization result in "Red circle" every time now ?

I sincerely hope that the Yahoo IMAP timeout issue gets resolved soon and that puts the end to all my problems. As of now I cannot consider the bug as resolved ? What do I do ?

ezu

Thumbs up Tentative schedule for next release (with bug fix 31450)

As mentioned in Bugzilla, the bug has been fixed and the code checked in for bug 31450. I also appreciate me being on the cc to bug for Yahoo IMAP time out issues. I find that that is also fixed now with synchronous method being used instead of asynchronous. (Correct me if I am wrong).

I am eagerly waiting now for the next release that includes the above two fixes. That way I can at least get my mails back to yahoo web server and also "possibly" find out the "problem mails" that will not upload.

Any tentative schedule on when the release is scheduled will be appreciated.

The next release is going to be pretty soon. Yahoo mail server software is also rolling out some fixes we need as we speak. So hopefully with the combination of the improvements on both sides we can address ezu's mailbox issues.

ezu

Smile Build 1482

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    The next release is going to be pretty soon. Yahoo mail server software is also rolling out some fixes we need as we speak. So hopefully with the combination of the improvements on both sides we can address ezu's mailbox issues.
    Does build 1482 which is available today include the fix for bug 31450 and yahoo web server imap timeout problem.

Do you recommend installing it to fix those issues.

I could not find the release notes for same to view the changes.

dac
    dac is offline Zimbra Employee

The timeout and associated race condition should now be fixed. We will also skip a message when APPEND fails due to timeout so that sychronization of other messages can continue. In this case, an error report will be generated after 3 attempts to append the message. If you are still getting an APPEND error please forward this error report which will now provide us with more details on the specified message that is failing.

Also the TIMEOUT you were running into may be due to a bug in ZD that we fixed, so the chance of running into that is smaller.

Another point. From now on when you move messages from one folder to another we no longer use APPEND, as long as both source and destination folders have sync state turned on.

For the messages you already moved, they will still need to be APPENDed to server and hopefully they'll go through now.

ezu

Default Bug 31450 followup

I have already downloaded and installed Zimbra desktop 1.0 latest build and it is sync...ing as I write this. I have also ensured that sync is ON for each of the folders. I hope that it pushes all my missing mails from local Zimbra desktop to Yahoo web server this time :-)

However, to gain my confidence back, I have the following questions based on the new "logic" being used. I will appreciate if each of them can be responded separately (unless one response applies to all of them)

a) If I create one or more folders locally on Zimbra desktop and set it to sync with Yahoo web server, will these folders get created on Yahoo web server during next send/receive ?

b) If I create one or more folders on Yahoo web server, will these folders get created on Zimbra desktop and set to sync automatically during next send/receive ?

c) Most important (this operation is most probably when previously I lost my mails from Yahoo web server). If I use basic / advanced search to search all mails belonging to any specific subject / sender / receiver or any combination thereof and MOVE ALL OF THEM TOGETHER (by selecting all of them at the same time) from whichever folder(s) they exist in to the newly created / already existing local folders on Zimbra desktop, will these moved mails also move correspondingly on Yahoo web server mailbox so as to remain in sync with the moved mails in local Zimbra desktop folders.

The outcome of the sync getting completed AND answer to these questions will determine whether I use Zimbra desktop in a passive mode just to read mails going ahead (as I had stopped using it altogether after mails disappeared from Yahoo web server) or start using it in an active manner to fully utilize all the excellent features available.

I will post a note when the sync is successful and the counts of all mails in my local folders match those on Yahoo web server. (as I observed that more than 1100+ people are following this thread.)
    Last edited by ezu; 02-04-2009 at 03:09 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information