Thread: [SOLVED] Sound notifications

bjquinn is offline Advanced Member

Default [SOLVED] Sound notifications

I've noticed that in Zimbra Desktop 0.9 that there's an option to "play a sound" when a message arrives. However, I don't get a sound except for Windows' little system tray notification sound (that faint little popping sound). Of course, that's too quiet to hear. Next to the "play a sound" option, it says "(requires QuickTime or Windows Media plugin)". How do I install the QuickTime or Windows Media plugin to Zimbra Desktop? If I were in Firefox I'd know how to go about that, but not with Desktop.

-BJ

Ok so I've figured out at least one thing - the simplest way to get this working is to just flat out install the regular full blown QuickTime software. Whatever is necessary to get the "plugin" set up must happen automatically at install time for QT. However, I'd now like to change the sound associated with new mail - is that possible? The one that plays is still a bit quiet and not very noticeable.

Ha! Fixed my own problem. As I mentioned in the last post, if you get QuickTime installed, then the notification sound starts working. I saw someone else in another thread had a problem getting it to work with Windows Media Player. I gave up on that, but QT works fine.

I noticed immediately that the notification sound wasn't a basic windows sound, so I found an alert.wav under C:\zimbra\zdesktop\jetty\webapps\zimbra\public\sou nds\im. Replace that with whatever sound you want (I used the default Windows mail notification sound), quit Zimbra Desktop (actually quit, not just click on the X), come back in, and you're good!

PDXuser is offline Starter Member

Default Here is your fix for Vista

Hello everyone, so you downloaded Zimbra Desktop and now you want a alert sound. first you have to install quicktime and it will install it's plugin.
    Then go to Zimbra desktop preferences,select mail. Check all boxs for receiveing messages. Now send yourself a email and test. Next you want to change the sound to your own custom sound. Go to start type appdata, click on it, local,zimbra, zdesktop,jetty,webapps,zimbra,public,sounds,im, your there. Wow! that's quite the tree. Now change the sound. Next this is the part that took me some time to figure with no help from Zimbra. You have to replace the alert sound in yahoo messenger as well. that was easy. C:\users\Program files\yahoo\messenger\media. Done. Hope this helps someone took me two hours, now i have a cool space sound.

Thread Information