Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Deleting messages on pop3 account

wlf1241 is offline Intermediate Member

Default [SOLVED] Deleting messages on pop3 account

I have just installed Zimbra on an iMac running osX. I set up a pop3 account which works fine except mail isn't deleted on comcast server which causes me to get a new copy of each email every time Zimbra syn's. What do you do to either delete emails after they are downloaded or only download new emails?

mmorse is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums,

Actually Comcast will be entirely powered by Zimbra shortly, so you could add it as a ZCS account type when you're migrated. Comcast + Zimbra = Future of Unified Messaging » Zimbra :: Blog

When using POP we have the 'delete from server' option intentionally disabled/grayed out till there's a simpler backup method to export MIME (the message content) & Metadata (folder location/read status/tags/flags/etc) with the GUI.

It can be quite frighting how many people don't understand that if they don't maintain their personal machines/or worse loose a laptop their mail is then gone. We realize that the technical minded people out there understand - but determined we'd rather not run the risk. Perhaps a 2nd 'are you sure?' prompt will be implemented before the backup is so we can turn that feature back on - as I do realize there are legitimate reasons & people out there with limited quotas.

Backup solutions for now include:

Copying the entire zdesktop/store/ folder at the minimum & really should grab the entire zdesktop/ folder + keep a copy of that version's installer handy.

Or you can grab all items by localhost:7633/service/home/~/?fmt=zip&query=is:anywhere (replace ~ with user@domain.com if you have more than one account)

We build REST access into everything:
    REST update » Zimbra :: Blog
    Building Web Services the REST Way

mmorse is offline Moderator

I have moved this from the Zimbra Collaboration Suite section to the Zimbra Desktop section (links redirect) as as I gather that's what we're talking about here since ZCS has the 'delete from server after pop' option enabled in account aggregation while ZD does not.

Default Deleting messages on the server.

I backup using Time Machine. The issue is that every time Zimbra goes out to get mail it brings back another copy of the original email. I can end up with an infinite number of copies of the same email.

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

You mean you see duplicates of the same messages in Inbox because of this? If so that's a serious bug.

That's right. Entourage and Thunderbird give you the ability to delete download messages from the server. I uninstalled Zimbra once because of this problem but thought I would try it again since Comcast was beta testing Zimbra.

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

keeping messages on a pop server is one thing, but seeing duplicates in Inbox is a totally different thing. even if we keep all messages on the server, you still shouldn't see any duplicates.

if you are seeing actual duplicates of the same message again and again, please turn debug trace on, and do a few runs to get more duplicates. then file a bug with the debug trace. you can find the debug trace under <install>/log/zdesktop.out.

My computer is an iMac. I enabled debug trace. How do you see the results of debug trace so I can file a bug.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wlf1241 View Post
    How do you see the results of debug trace so I can file a bug.
    Look for the file in the location mentioned in the post above your last one.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I found zdesktop.out. It was in zimbra/zdesktop/log. Now how do I file a bug report?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information