Thread: simple question

me_new is offline Starter Member

Default simple question

so if i am not mistaken, when i enable my yahoo account using zimbra desktop, some data (email) is downloaded locally so that i can work on it while disconnected from the internets. that's very nice. my question is, is this data encrypted so that if i lose my laptop someone can't simply open the files and read let's say email addresses? my personal email has a lot of messages from my banks etc etc and if these emails are to be stored locally i want to know they are safe.

thank you very much!! zimbra has made me fall in love with email once again!!

mmorse is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums,

Vote for this RFE: Bug 14713 -encrypt offline messages

Based on feedback I've seen, even though you can still find/search the store folder on disk, some want Bug 27005 - Prompt for password in offline client (for zimbra/non zimbra accounts) done earlier anyways - even without encryption behind it yet - as someone dropping by and navigating the store isn't as 'easy' as opening Zimbra Desktop.

Current best practice is to set a platform/operating system level password (at login/screensaver), OS encryption or storage/disk encryption. (Should your platform not have anything built-in you might use the open source TrueCrypt to encrypt the entire partition for example.)

me_new is offline Starter Member

@mmorse: thanks for the information. it answered my question. i'm on windows so trying to put a password on a folder/file is useless.

i read the bugs and i hope they come to be features of zimbra at some point. i came across zimbra because it "brings offline access to webmail" and i think it's obvious that webmail="safely stored somewhere other than my laptop or a flat file", hence zimbra should have strong security features. i think.

thanks!!

Thread Information