Thread: MS Word & Adobe Acrobat Attach to Email

quietas is offline Elite Member

Default MS Word & Adobe Acrobat Attach to Email

Is there a way with the new Zimbra Desktop to make Acrobat's Attach to Email function use the Zimbra Desktop as the mail client.

I have Office installed and have set ZD to be the default mail client. That works in Firefox and IE, but it does not sem to change other program's default client.

Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs > E-mail > I chose Zimbra.

In Acrobat 8 Standard: File > Attach to Email > Error message: "Either there is not default mail client or the current client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Office Outlook and set it as the default mail client."

Same message in MS Word when sending as an email.
    Last edited by quietas; 07-24-2008 at 11:57 AM.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

gnyce is offline Advanced Member

my guess is "not"... think this might be a function of mapi, but could be way off here. I've had other users ask me as well, but have not fully investigated.

y@w
    y@w is offline Moderator

You can make Zimbra Desktop the default system mail client in Windows or Mac if that's what you're looking for. In the general tab in the options. It's the bottom checkbox.

I don't think it is anything special on the server side. If Outlook isn't installed it would normally try Outlook Express. Something to do with the registered mail client that ZD seems to miss.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

y@w
    y@w is offline Moderator

Was that in response to me or gnyce? Just in case.. you don't do that in the web client, it all is in Zimbra Desktop.

I do know that in older version of Outlook and OE you had to uncheck the box in the preferences to let it allow another client to be the default.

y@w: the first was in response to gnyce. I stated in the first post that I already have ZD as the default client which is why it works in Firefox and IE. The problem isn't with web usage, but with other applications such as MS Word and Adobe Acrobat.

I have users with custom PDF forms that automatically open the default client and start the email prefilled in. Instead of Zimbra Desktop opening, Outlook or OE open instead.
    Culley

y@w
    y@w is offline Moderator

Oh ok. Sorry, I misread your post. You may want to check in Outlook and OE to make sure that checkbox isn't checked. I don't use Windows extensively anymore, so I'm not brushed up on all of that but I know that used to exist. Other than that I would say it's probably a setting in the app. itself.

Thread Information