Thread: wishlist items...

paped is offline Intermediate Member

Default wishlist items...

Hi,
    I have been trying Zimbra desktop and webmail for a while and they are great but I have an eeepc so the low resolution of it's screen does cause a bit of an issue and I am sure other UMPC's will suffer in similar ways. I know the webmail and presumably the zdesktop is optomised for 1024x768 resolutions but with the new wave of small low cost pc's such as the eeepc could we not have just one theme compatible with the lower resolutions of 800x600 and 800x480? As if I could get the resolution sorted the zdesktop application + the eeepc (or other UMPC's) would make the ultimate PDA device.....

Thanks,

Paped

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

interesting problem. we don't have many umpc users and we've never tested on such devices. please file an RFE for this.

besides resolution issue, how's performance? is it generally usable? thanks for your input!

Klug is offline Moderator

There's already a RFE to have a skin compliant with a 800 pixels wide screen.
    Bug 23449 - Support for 800x600 Screen Resolution on Web Client

The performance of Zdesktop on the eeepc is very good to say that the pc only has a 900mhz processor and thats restricted to 633!!!! Takes about 20 -30 seconds to initially start the application on both OS's that I have tried (Mandriva 2008.1 and Windows XP home SP3). Once started eveything seems to work fine I have 3 or 4 issues that I have posted on another post that appear to be more zdesktop app related than eeepc or hardware related....

So to be honest if we could get the resolution issues sorted it would be the perfect PDA.... that said there are certain work arounds that I have found for most resolution issues e.g things like.....

The scroll side bar is cut off so I use the scroll bar on the mouse pad and it moves the calendar up and down as it should.
    The calendar item detail screen is a bit squashed and messy but can be used except for the notes area that I cannot get to. Alternatively you can use the quick add calendar option that works fine.
    The week arrow buttons to the right of the calendar screen are cut off so I just select the week from the mini callendar

But I must say that in general it just works on the EEEPC and I am now using it as my main diary for home and work.....

Thanks for the great software!!!!!

Re the RFE request do you still want me to raise one due to one being in place for the web client? That said a 800X480 option would be nice but I am sure that an 800x600 would solve most issues and I presume that if made for the web client that it would be naturally rolled in to the Zdesktop beta.....?

Thanks,

Paped
    Last edited by paped; 05-22-2008 at 02:04 PM.

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

Hi, instead of a brand new one, could you add a comment, with details, to the ticket Klug mentioned? That way when we consider making a 800x600 we could also try to cover alternative resolutions such as 800x480.

Thanks!

I have added a comment to the above referenced bug as requested....

Thanks,

Paped

Thread Information