Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: smtp tls?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Port 993/465 works for me with SSL on both of those settings.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

bcalder01 is offline Member

How great that it works for you. After looking thru the last logs I posted, any idea why I can't connect?

Quote Originally Posted by bcalder01 View Post
    How great that it works for you.
    Perhaps you might like to reconsider your position on making snide comments in the forums?
    Regards

Bill

You're right, Bill, instead of reading your comment as, "it works for me", I should have read it a bit more deeply to see that you were telling me to change the SMTP port from 587 to 465 & to use SSL. Dense day, not even enough time to parse my lunch. Please accept my apologies.

I will try making the above changes to see how that goes, and if necessary will post the logfiles again.

What type of mail server (postfix or something else) are you connecting to with the Desktop?
    Regards

Bill

Its qmail.

ehsjoar is offline Starter Member

Default Tls?

Hi Guys,

I found this thread when searching for TLS capabilities in Zimbra desktop. I guess you are confusing SSL with TLS. SSL is, like you are pointing out, connecting on non standard ports for both SMTP and IMAP. However, the newer protocol, TLS connects on the standard ports and does authentication encrypted.

The problem is that Zimbra desktop doesn't seem capable of doing that. There is no TLS option in the account configuration screen. Checkout Thunderbird or any other mature mail client and you will see what i am talking about.

Yes, if you set up the mail server to handle regular SSL Zimbra desktop can indeed connect to the standard SSL ports. However, Zimbra desktop can't handle TLS on any port (I hope I am wrong).

If there is another more resent thread that deals with this, sorry. If not, is anybody aware of if TLS capabilities are being added in future releases?

BDW, I am on release 1.

Cheers,

// Jonas

firstpeter18 is offline Starter Member

Default Definitive answer?

Quote Originally Posted by ehsjoar View Post
    Hi Guys,

I found this thread when searching for TLS capabilities in Zimbra desktop. I guess you are confusing SSL with TLS. SSL is, like you are pointing out, connecting on non standard ports for both SMTP and IMAP. However, the newer protocol, TLS connects on the standard ports and does authentication encrypted.

The problem is that Zimbra desktop doesn't seem capable of doing that. There is no TLS option in the account configuration screen. Checkout Thunderbird or any other mature mail client and you will see what i am talking about.

Yes, if you set up the mail server to handle regular SSL Zimbra desktop can indeed connect to the standard SSL ports. However, Zimbra desktop can't handle TLS on any port (I hope I am wrong).

If there is another more resent thread that deals with this, sorry. If not, is anybody aware of if TLS capabilities are being added in future releases?

BDW, I am on release 1.

Cheers,

// Jonas
    First time post, for me. Any news on this front? I think Zimbra desktop is the best email client out there by far, but I can not make it link up with our corp. (IMAP) server using STARTTLS on ports 143 and 25. Would love a way to set this up. I didn't see TLS as an option on the account config. page, and if I selected SSL, I get a comms./authentication error. Many thanks.

hinsonkp is offline Starter Member

Default Zimbra Desktop and TLS

I am experiencing the the same TLS issue with Zimbra Desktop as did the previous poster. Any estimate for when an explicit TLS option will be included?

ljs
    ljs is offline Starter Member

I have the same issue with Zimbra Desktop & TLS. My ISP requires that I connect to SMTP 25 or 587 (TLS) for outgoing mail. There isn't an option for TLS in the ZD account setup screen, and using SSL fails to connect.

I've tested both SSL & TLS using Outlook, and can confirm that my ISP only accepts TLS on port 587, and unencrypted on port 25.

I must say I'm liking what I see so far with Zimbra and I think this is the only thing that's preventing me binning Outlook permanently.

ZD version is 1.0.4 (1833).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information