Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Telligent acquires Zimbra

ccelis5215 is offline Elite Member

Default Telligent acquires Zimbra

We are a forums members, what do you think about it?

Chating about myself don't know nothing about Telligent.

But.., about Zimbra, seems good.

The new company will be name "Zimbra".

ccelis

jobe is offline Senior Member

Basically I agree with you, calling the new company Zimbra is a good sign, and they claim to focus on it...on the other hand the "heavy" VMware brand disappears, it was significant when introducing Zimbra to other people...
    I found this interesting comment on LinkedIn: VMware Selling Zimbra to Telligent - Good News In Principle, But... : Reliable Networks .

jerryboi is offline Special Member

This is nothing to celebrate. I can see a collab suite being a great data source and thus a valuable asset for telligent but I can not see how zimbra users will benefit from this. Hey, you can't even install that stuff on your server, telligent is windows only. The so called integration will amount to an AD-linked SSO, and maybe a new application tab with an iframe to your telligent dashboard. And that will pretty much consume all dev resources much the same way as octopus/horizon did at those other punters.

Jenn Emerson is offline Community Manager

Hi guys. My name is Jenn. I'm the community manager for Telligent. I'm cruising around the Zimbra community to see how it's going out here. I saw your convo and thought I'd pop in. Thanks for some of the positive thoughts and concerns. I know I am coming at this from a different point of view, but you guys should know that the folks at Telligent are hard working people that have always put the customer first. That is now true for all Zimbra customers, as well. I don't doubt there will be some bumps here and there in the beginning - I'd expect that with any kind of transition. If you have specific needs or concerns, we are listening and acting.

And it is okay if you hadn't heard of us before. I'd heard of VMWare before, but never heard the word Zimbra. So, I am sure it all depends on the social circles we all turn in, and our circles just got a little bigger.

LowPass is offline Active Member

Hello!
    I'm really glad to see that Telligent is already getting in the community so soon after the merge (welcome Jenn!).

In his introduction post - something I really liked BTW - mr. Howard clearly dispelled the most pressing doubts most of us OSE users had: Zimbra will remain usable as a collaboration platform just like it has been since its and that both he and his team will be active in the community.
    Honest, right now it looks that the community will be a focus of this "new Zimbra" (meaning company, not product), something it's been missing since quite a lot.

To the Telligent team: welcome, and godspeed on this new adventure!

My2c
    See ya,
    Mike

Jenn Emerson is offline Community Manager

Mike, I dig your two cents. Thank you!

fchasseux is offline Junior Member

Hi Jenn,

I think that everybody will be happy to see Zimbra leaving VMware.
    I am Zimbra admin since 3 or 4 years and at first I was happy that VMware bought Zimbra.
    Vmware had made announce of new services for zimbra and everybody was waiting them.
    What did we get ?
    Nothing usefull because Vmware did not listen customers.
    They only take off functionnality (chat) without adding anything usefull.
    So I don't install Zimbra8 and I don't know if I should continue with zimbra or migrate next year (eol of my NE on ubuntu8x64).
    The fact that zimbra is bought each year by a new guy is ... How can we trust the roadmap of zimbra ?
    Where are the features promise by Vmware ? (octopus, horizon ?)
    They just add stuff to make Zimbra customers buy some Vmware virtualization stuff ...

Why should we trust telligent more than Vmware ?
    What will be the benefits or new services that Telligent could bring to zimbra that will interested small company ? (sorry but I see nothing interesting in social stuff for company with less than 50 employees)[don't tell me the chat because I already have it in Zimbra7.2.4)

Regards

ps : sorry for my poor English.

Raunaq is offline Zimbra Employee

Hello fchasseux,

Well for the starters Always On architecture would be loved by all ! Just have a little more faith in Zimbra as you always had in the past.From where I see it,Things definitely look promising.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light..... Helen Keller

Cheers,
    Raun

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fchasseux View Post
    I think that everybody will be happy to see Zimbra leaving VMware.
    I think that "everybody" is rather a lot of people and isn't necessarily true for every one of them.

They only take off functionnality (chat) without adding anything usefull.
    I believe the decision to remove the beta chat server actually pre-dates the Zimbra acquisition by VMware and additional feature to replace that are, as far as I know, still scheduled. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the future holds.

So I don't install Zimbra8 and I don't know if I should continue with zimbra or migrate next year (eol of my NE on ubuntu8x64).
    The fact that zimbra is bought each year by a new guy is ... How can we trust the roadmap of zimbra ?
    Your comment about "bought each year" is rather exageratted, isn't it?

Where are the features promise by Vmware ? (octopus, horizon ?)
    They just add stuff to make Zimbra customers buy some Vmware virtualization stuff ...
    Not true and the development of ZCS continues apace, if you look at the product portal or bugzilla you'll find out what's happening with ZCS development and you can add your comments and votes to bug reports. Any development cycle takes a relatively long time for users and, of course, not every user will get what they specifically want.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

BPB
    BPB is offline Junior Member

I'm testing Zimbra FOS now for use in my organization. We're pleased with it so far, which is why I was a little leery of Zimbra being acquired by a new company right before I commit and deploy it fully.
    But I take this, and you, as a good sign that the "new Zimbra" will be more customer focused. That can be easier for a smaller company to do. So I'm remaining positive on this.
    My only concern: I hope Zimbra remains appropriate for business. I wouldn't want to make it too easy for employees to leak organizational information over social media! (That may be totally unfounded.)
    Edit: my only other concern - I hope a FOS edition remains available, and compatible with Linux!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information