Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Telligent acquires Zimbra

Raunaq is offline Zimbra Employee

I hope a FOS edition remains available, and compatible with Linux!
    It will be BPB.

DennisT is offline Intermediate Member

We're a new Zimbra customer (albeit small). The one thing I'd like to see come of the purchase of Zimbra is better support. I open a case and usually get a response in a reasonable amount of time. If the 1st response resolves the problem, great. However if it doesn't the support disappears. One case I'm pushing went dead after I responded to the 1st reply. I then had to ask for status (a week later). No response. Open a severity 1 case referring to the original. Days later I get a response on the first case. I reply immediately and Zimbra goes dark again (several days now). I'm busy, and expending more time trying to coax support into responding isn't exactly what I had in mind when I bought support.

It seems from my perspective the Zimbra support group lacks management or perhaps they have one metric - response time to when the case was opened. How long it takes (or even if) to resolve the issue doesn't appear to be important.

I used to run the support group for a small ERP vendor. I had simple rules for the support techs -
    1. When a customer opens a case they don't expect you to have all the answers. They do expect you will be able to get the answer for them.
    2. They expect to have the problem fixed immediately only if it is a emergency.
    3. If it isn't an emergency all they need to hear is that you understand the problem, will take care of it, and when.
    4. Always keep them updated on the status of their case.
    5. Keep your promises.

Is the tech actively working on my case? ???
    When will the tech reply? ???
    Is the tech still employed @ Zimbra? ???
    Is there a plan to address my problem? ???

If I'm asking these questions and don't have answers then (IMHO) support isn't doing their job.

fchasseux is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    1-I think that "everybody" is rather a lot of people and isn't necessarily true for every one of them.

2-I believe the decision to remove the beta chat server actually pre-dates the Zimbra acquisition by VMware and additional feature to replace that are, as far as I know, still scheduled. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the future holds.

3-Your comment about "bought each year" is rather exageratted, isn't it?

4-Not true and the development of ZCS continues apace, if you look at the product portal or bugzilla you'll find out what's happening with ZCS development and you can add your comments and votes to bug reports. Any development cycle takes a relatively long time for users and, of course, not every user will get what they specifically want.
    ----

Hi back from my holiday and i want to answer.

1 - Right, it's my bad english

2 - You're maybe right, but when I see "beta" in a software it's mainly because it's not totally stable and dev will correct it. It's quite rare that guys develop a beta fonction and then take it off (after how many years ? I used it for more than 5 years). (Why ? I never see a reason for not include the chat service ? Is it for security ?)

3 - I should say every 3 years (Yahoo Sept2007, VMware january2010, Telligent july2013 ... But is it comptible with " Any development cycle takes a relatively long time for users"

4 - Again, about chat service, it is the 8th in RFEs with most votes (Integration with external IM servers (XMPP proxy support)) and the status is ... "Not committed" .... Could you tell since when this service is in top 10 list of RFEs with most votes ? This RFE has been created in 2007. and there is 93 interventions about it ...

I don't see anything about 9.0 ?
    And you don't give me any example of user fonction created during VMware acquisition. (I see 2, garbage of garbage and send mail later)
    What I mean is that VMware had work mainly on admin fonctions (virtualization) but less on user.

When I choose Zimbra at first, the idea of Zimbra was to keep user in the webmail. The user was able to have all the services in one web interface (Mail, Agenda, Contact, Task, Files[upload/download], edit text file or array, chat with busy-free, and even linkedin and facebook)
    Is it still your objective ?

What i am afraid is that Zimbra could become a huge mailing system for big internet provider (Yahoo, Free.fr, etc) and leave the small market of small company like mine.

++

PS : It's a pain to vote for a bug.
    1 - support.zimbra.com --> login/pass and I choose "Zimbra Support Program"
    2 - pm.zimbra.com --> login/pass (the same identification) and I choose an "RFE ID"
    3 - bugzilla.zimbra.com --> login/pass (still the same) and then I can finally make a vote

Sure I can go directly to the bugzilla but ...

bflood2000 is offline Intermediate Member

Hey Telligent how does one contact Zimbra sales? I have called and left 2 messages on the sales phone on web site, emailed once as well. No return calls or email from Zimbra sales. Need to add licenses. Shall we start looking for new email vendor now if I can't buy more licenses? Post a number to call or answer the sales phones please or return emails.

Raunaq is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by bflood2000 View Post
    Hey Telligent how does one contact Zimbra sales? I have called and left 2 messages on the sales phone on web site, emailed once as well. No return calls or email from Zimbra sales. Need to add licenses. Shall we start looking for new email vendor now if I can't buy more licenses? Post a number to call or answer the sales phones please or return emails.
    Can You PM me your company name so that I can pass your info along the relevant channel.

Jenn Emerson is offline Community Manager

Hi bflood2000! I'm Jenn the community manager. Very sorry about the lack of response from those sales numbers. We're working on that during our transition time. As soon as we have those updated, we'll issue an update for all. In the meanwhile, please reply to Raunaq's comment and we'll quickly follow up with you. Sorry again for the inconvenience.

dave_kempe is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

Hey Jenn,
    are you going to use the announcements section of the forum for announcing new versions? 8.0.5 came out and nothing was said, despite it being a pretty useful release (supporting whole new mail clients).
    http://www.solutionsfirst.com.au/hosting/zimbra/
    Australia's premier Zimbra Hosting Partner
    Resellers wanted!

Jenn Emerson is offline Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback, Dave. That helps me understand how people are using this forum and how to plan for the future.

sviriyala is offline Active Member

HI,

Frankly I am confused about Zimbra. On one hand it is supposed to take you away from the Monsters like Exchange, Lotus etc. On the other hand it is never Enterprise ready, in fact not even SMB ready. Many of the old bugs which were supposed to be fixed in versions 5/6 still exist in 7. On top of that, a show stopper like 80563 doesn't get fixed. I fail to understand how a Java bug which is 10 years old, breaks version 8, but not 7. Even if I somehow convince myself that the issue is with Java & not Zimbra, does it mean that it if Oracle doesn't fix it, Zimbra 8 can never be deployed in production? If so, then there is no future for Zimbra.
    I can understand VMWare not showing any serious interest in fixing issues as it wanted to get rid of it. But is Telligent Management looking at Zimbra from 30,000ft and assuming that all is rosy? Are they even aware of the serious issues with the product?

My intention is not to hurt anyone, but to bring to focus a serious issue. Hope somebody reads this.

Regards

jerryboi is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by jerryboi View Post
    ... The so called integration will amount to an AD-linked SSO, and maybe a new application tab with an iframe to your telligent dashboard...
    Erm, the new version of Telligent now dubbed Zimbra Community is out and I can't seem to find any info on integration with ZCS. Am I missing something or was I too optimistic in the above quoted post?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information