Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZCS 7.2 release - more "removed" than added

gnyce is offline Advanced Member

Default ZCS 7.2 release - more "removed" than added

Sure, adding SMIME is neat, but it took quite awhile to implement, certainly longer than originally communicated. But reading through the 7.2 release notes, I saw more features being removed than added - and it just doesn't give a (positive) feel for where VMware is taking the product. For example:

- IM server is being removed. I've seen the arguments, but regardless, that is a feature that many have used/still use.

- Posix/Samba extensions being removed, to the zimlet gallery for "support by the community". To be fair, I have not seen much in the way of engagement with the 'community' recently (at least before you would see some wiki articles, announcements, and what seemed like a more public airing in bugzilla). So is this feature - which we use - to die on the vine as soon as ZCS 8 is released?

- ZDesktop is going to be EOL'd in a future release... "The technology choices to provide offline access to Zimbra have expanded since the release of Zimbra Desktop 1.0". Really? What exactly are technology choices? Because for non-Outlook users, Zimbra Desktop actually does a pretty good job.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gnyce View Post
    Sure, adding SMIME is neat, but it took quite awhile to implement, certainly longer than originally communicated. But reading through the 7.2 release notes, I saw more features being removed than added - and it just doesn't give a (positive) feel for where VMware is taking the product. For example:

- IM server is being removed. I've seen the arguments, but regardless, that is a feature that many have used/still use.
    That has been on the cards (and in previous Release Notes & bugzilla) for quite a while, it's also not being removed until ZCS 8.

- Posix/Samba extensions being removed, to the zimlet gallery for "support by the community". To be fair, I have not seen much in the way of engagement with the 'community' recently (at least before you would see some wiki articles, announcements, and what seemed like a more public airing in bugzilla). So is this feature - which we use - to die on the vine as soon as ZCS 8 is released?
    This has always been a Community Supported feature, the only changes is that the zimlets will only be provided via the Gallery.

- ZDesktop is going to be EOL'd in a future release... "The technology choices to provide offline access to Zimbra have expanded since the release of Zimbra Desktop 1.0". Really? What exactly are technology choices?
    I would guess some of the other mail clients that exist.

Because for non-Outlook users, Zimbra Desktop actually does a pretty good job.
    I agree but I guess the resources used for ZD are better spent on the core product(s).
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

ZMike is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    There are none, phoenix. ZD was unique in that sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but seems to me it is the only offline client that shares most of the code with web client and provides seamless user experience.

Zimbra is going to throw away a very useful promotion tool. Sigh.

Well, at least it's fully open-sourced. But it will be quite difficult for small-scale VARs to collaborate to support it as a community.

ccelis5215 is offline Elite Member

I agree but I guess the resources used for ZD are better spent on the core product(s).
    Bill, you encouraged many times to use ZDesktop as a replacement for mail clients.

ZDesktop EOL.. another vmware poor choice regarding FOSS...

ccelis

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ccelis5215 View Post
    Bill, you encouraged many times to use ZDesktop as a replacement for mail clients.
    What is your point in making that comment?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

dik23 is offline Advanced Member

I am very close to submitting a bug report along the lines of "Breakdown in communication between Zimbra and it's paying customers ".

I think that there would be quite a few people sign up for it, I know I would if someone else submitted one.

ccelis5215 is offline Elite Member

What is your point in making that comment?
    None, my apolologies. You spend a lot of time taking care of this forum.

Just a comment from a very fustrated one

ccelis
    Last edited by ccelis5215; 04-18-2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: more apologies!

jdybik is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Updates from Zimbra Product Management

Hi Folks,

with respect to ZD, see my post over here. ZD future EOL

We're not killing offline, we're making it better based on new technology choices available versus the current ZD architecture. Sorry for the confusion.

7.2.0 is a minor release focused on bugs, so there is not alot of new features. Some very specific features like smartcard and SMIME support targeted towards Federal customers. Right on the heels of 7.2 is Zimbra 8. Zimbra 8 will release this year, and there is a significant number of enhancements as it is a major release.

Included in Zimbra 8 is our 1st party integrations with some UC/IM vendors and an SDK for others to integrated into the modular framework we have built. Our IM server never left beta and we want to put our resources into continuing to make a better mail/calendar product and partner on the solutions that are not part of our core at this point.

Please keep the feedback coming, we do read it and appreciate it...all of it

Thanks!
    Last edited by jdybik; 04-18-2012 at 02:25 PM.

thesubmitter is offline Active Member

I've been quite happy with Thunderbird, if there could be a little more cross-polination between Zimbra and Thunderbird - I doubt people would feel left out in the cold

gnyce is offline Advanced Member

This has always been a Community Supported feature, the only changes is that the zimlets will only be provided via the Gallery.
    With respect to the Samba/Posix extensions... I'm not certain that is a completely accurate statement, to say they've "always" been a Community Supported feature. They were included in the zimlet-admin-extras folder, I think they were written by Zimbra employees, and the instructions for deploying/implementing on the Wiki is "certified documentation and is protected for editing by Zimbra Employees & Moderators only". We have used them for several years, continue to do so, and without them, I'm not certain that we will move forward with anything past 7.1.x.

And there are now reports of the zimlets not working on the recently released ZCS 7.2. Which brings me again to my point, that to say that they are 'community-supported' but with little recent evidence of community engagement by Zimbra gives me little hope of this continuing to be a viable option. I will gladly hope that I am proven wrong, but fear for the worst

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information