Thread: Future Plans for IM

50asm is offline Active Member

Default Future Plans for IM

Despite the kicking and screaming in the forums it is apparent the server portion of IM in ZCS will be gone for good in v8.

I have been unable to find a road map for version 8 anywhere or I wouldn't be posting but I have a couple questions I am hoping that some one has the answers.

1.) Can anyone tell me what the UI in the client will include in v8?

2.) Will we still have presence icons? This is a great feature when people compare functionality with Lync.

3.) Will you be able to pass documents around through it?

4.) What servers will the client side communicate with? We are hoping for something that has enterprise controls such as ejabberd or openfire.

5.) Will the ZCS be supported if it is installed on the same machine as the IM server?

6.) Will the client side be deployed within the program itself or will it be deployed through a zimlet?

7.) Will the authentication work seamlessly through zimbra/spnego or will the clients have to re-authenticate to the IM server?

Thanks in advance!!

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

There will be no details announced until ZCS 8.x is available for release (stated many times in the forums, Zimbra does not pre-announce products). You can look at the bug report (that I've already told you about in the other thread) and other RFEs on the subject, that will give you a rough idea of what will be in the new release - until ZCS 8 is released you should do some research yourself.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Rough Idea?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    There will be no details announced until ZCS 8.x is available for release (stated many times in the forums, Zimbra does not pre-announce products). You can look at the bug report (that I've already told you about in the other thread) and other RFEs on the subject, that will give you a rough idea of what will be in the new release - until ZCS 8 is released you should do some research yourself.
    Rough to say the least... The bug reports don't give any direction form the zimbra team. Just a bunch of people pleading their case to keep the server portion and some speculation, but I can speculate on my own.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 50asm View Post
    Rough to say the least... The bug reports don't give any direction form the zimbra team. Just a bunch of people pleading their case to keep the server portion and some speculation, but I can speculate on my own.
    Search the forums and bugzilla, there's plenty of information in there on the subject.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I have Bill.

The requested information is not there.

storm is offline Advanced Member

I agree 50asm, there is scant information on either IM or Zimbra 8.

We must appreciate though that Vmware wish to release when ready and not until, though I beleive that 7.2 will be released before 8, possibly this month.

It is slightly frustrating that many bugs which are roadmapped (or even fixed) for Zimbra 8 do not display any information on the intended release version, others do, it is seemingly arbitrary.

There is a workaround to get that info though - and see what is (probably) coming to Zimbra 8 - using advanced search techniques in bugzilla.

Hence: advanced search

'Product': ZCS and/or ZD
    'Status': resolved and/or open etc...
    Advanced Boolean: select target milestone: type in: 'ironmaiden'

On IM, there is contradictory information from Vmware Zimbra, and a long time gap since any update on what's coming... particularly as to whether IM client and history would be included in ZD or ZCS, when, and how... there's more about the server-side, but even that seems a tad out of date, possibly... time will tell... or not.

Whilst it is Vmware's choice - being less than transparent or else planned about release schedules, and about features required by us, (such as 'hometab', 'workgroups', IM, all of which have vanished seemingly, onto the backburner or worse - in the case of hometab and workgroups, with no explanation) - it seems a poorly-considered strategy in relation to retaining or keeping customers who are increasingly exposed to much faster-paced development in, for example, smartphone apps, and who compare the social integration, picture integration, IM, fax, SMS, and call integration with Zimbra's useful but increasingly (comparatively) out-of-date software.

Thread Information