Thread: How I would like to see Zimbra

Netson is offline Junior Member

Default How I would like to see Zimbra

Hey people,

I just spent a week or so playing around with Zimbra using a test account that a Hosted Zimbra partner gave me access to. This was to see if Zimbra could work for my specific needs.

Despite the fact that I liked what I saw, I would like to provide some feedback here with regards to what Zimbra could do for me in the ideal situation.

If you reply, I would like to hear why you think my ideas are good or bad and explain.

Here goes nothing....

Ideally, the Zimbra server would be the one-stop shop for all my email. It retrieves all the mail from my various accounts (work email, university email, personal email, gmail, and what not).

This and all the identities related to each email, including all my calender info and address book info, is stored on the Zimbra server.

Then, as an end user I can decide which client to use: Zimbra Desktop, my mobile phone, or any other email client.

You may think, isn't this already what Zimbra offers? Well, almost...

My main issue atm is that for external email I need to logon to the Zimbra webclient, retrieve the email and only then does it sync with my mobile phone. If I, for example, want to access my gmail on my mobile phone, I need to either load it separately, or retrieve it with zimbra webmail client first.

Also, the Zimbra Desktop client, in my opinion, should be nothing more than a facility that lets you use Zimbra Webmail from your desktop in both online and offline situations. All configuration info should come from the server. All you need to do is enter the Zimbra server address and the rest is loaded from the server.

To reiterate:

Code:
    Zimbra Server
      - Gmail Account
      - University Account
      - Email account @mydomain.com

Each account is tied to an identity and you have the option to select a seperate
    SMTP server for each account. Replying to a message that belongs to a certain
    identity automatically loads that identity and uses the selected SMTP server for
    sending messages.

Basically, Zimbra Web Client is the hosted version of Outlook. You load various
    accounts, can send and receive email from various accounts, and manage all of
    them from one central location.

Zimbra desktop is then nothing more than an app that lets you have offline access
    to your account as well. Literally ALL settings are loaded from the server. The
    reverse would therefore also be true; if you make changes to the settings in Zimbra
    Desktop, these are automatically saved on the server and also get synced with all
    other Zimbra Desktop clients (or mobile clients) that access the same account.
    Ok, long story, but I hope it makes sense.

The only issue I myself see with this setup is that you might increase your server load quite a lot because it has to send/receive email from various other servers.

Anyways, I look forward to your replies!

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Netson View Post
    Hey people,

I just spent a week or so playing around with Zimbra using a test account that a Hosted Zimbra partner gave me access to. This was to see if Zimbra could work for my specific needs.

Despite the fact that I liked what I saw, I would like to provide some feedback here with regards to what Zimbra could do for me in the ideal situation.

If you reply, I would like to hear why you think my ideas are good or bad and explain.

Here goes nothing....

Ideally, the Zimbra server would be the one-stop shop for all my email. It retrieves all the mail from my various accounts (work email, university email, personal email, gmail, and what not).

This and all the identities related to each email, including all my calender info and address book info, is stored on the Zimbra server.
    Correct, they are.

Then, as an end user I can decide which client to use: Zimbra Desktop, my mobile phone, or any other email client.
    You can, dependant on whether your hosting provider provides you with NE Mobile functions. The sync of functions other than mail would depend on the client you use.

You may think, isn't this already what Zimbra offers? Well, almost...

My main issue atm is that for external email I need to logon to the Zimbra webclient, retrieve the email and only then does it sync with my mobile phone. If I, for example, want to access my gmail on my mobile phone, I need to either load it separately, or retrieve it with zimbra webmail client first.
    You don't need to logon to the webmail client for the sync to external accounts to happen.

Also, the Zimbra Desktop client, in my opinion, should be nothing more than a facility that lets you use Zimbra Webmail from your desktop in both online and offline situations. All configuration info should come from the server. All you need to do is enter the Zimbra server address and the rest is loaded from the server.
    That's a moot point and depends on what you want the Desktop Client for, it happens to provide more features than that

To reiterate:

Code:
    Zimbra Server
      - Gmail Account
      - University Account
      - Email account @mydomain.com

Each account is tied to an identity and you have the option to select a seperate
    SMTP server for each account. Replying to a message that belongs to a certain
    identity automatically loads that identity and uses the selected SMTP server for
    sending messages.
    Why would you need to use the SMTP server of the mail service? Zimbra will deliver the mail with the correct reply-to addresses, however I think there may be an RFE for that feature in bugzilla if you'd like to check.

[/code]Basically, Zimbra Web Client is the hosted version of Outlook. You load various
    accounts, can send and receive email from various accounts, and manage all of
    them from one central location.[/code]
    Yes, as I've said, you can do that.

[/code]Zimbra desktop is then nothing more than an app that lets you have offline access
    to your account as well. Literally ALL settings are loaded from the server. The
    reverse would therefore also be true; if you make changes to the settings in Zimbra
    Desktop, these are automatically saved on the server and also get synced with all
    other Zimbra Desktop clients (or mobile clients) that access the same account.
    [/code]
    Yes again, that's what it does. I do think you're missing the point of offline working with the desktop. It's meant to be used to view your mail/calendar and make any necessary modification to your appointments, mail etc. they will then be synced when you're back online. Some people will use the desktop when they're out of contact for a period of time, it doesn't make sense to limit what they can modify in their zimbra server account.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information