Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Scratching my head over Zimbra Pricing...

mono is offline Junior Member

Default [SOLVED] Scratching my head over Zimbra Pricing...

We're a 60+ user shop, and I've been looking around for a new groupware solution that will allow us to support both Blackberry BES and Activesync.

Exchange is the obvious choice, but I'm inclined to look at other options first and Zimbra looks like a great product.

However, for 75 users of the Pro version w/ Mobility, it's either $3100 annually, or over $7500 for perpetual licenses. That's after a 15% Zimbra discount and doesn't include the cost of a supported Red Hat Enterprise or SLES 10 license.

Meanwhile, Dell quoted me $5800 for 1xWin 2008 Server, 1xExchange 2007 Server, and 75 Exchange CALS. The MS licenses are, of course, perpetual, Activesync support is integrated, and our BES server can move from Groupwise to Exchange at no additional cost.

I have small to mid-size clients on a variety of platforms, including Exchange, Groupwise and some smaller Linux mail servers. I'd love to give Zimbra a shot, but can't see how they can compete for business users at these prices. Especially when the 'name brand' solutions are actually cheaper. Do Zimbra VAR's offer more competitive pricing?

horrocksr is offline New Member

Default Have you considered a hosted solution?

Is your current IT staff caught up with all of their projects and sitting around with nothing to do?

If they are not caught up - give me a call and we can go over some hosted options. How many BES users do you have? if its less then 30 then hosting a BES in addition to your mail platform probably isn't going to be worth it.
    "Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence."

Abigail Adams (1744 - 1818), 1780

http://www.datasyncsuite.com

We already have a BES supporting about 50 users.

horrocksr is offline New Member

So is your BES already connected to a mail server? Are you thinking of changing your solution?

^^nevermind I see your on groupwise currently
    "Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence."

Abigail Adams (1744 - 1818), 1780

http://www.datasyncsuite.com

In_The_Ville is offline Special Member

I would double-check those licenses to see if they are really "perpetual". Then I would add in the price of a backup system for Exchange 2007, as well as antivirus and spam filtering. And, somebody has to set the whole thing up.

Something isn't right about those numbers. The last Exchange quote I got was for 350 users and hardware and software came to around $80k, which included training.

Quote Originally Posted by In_The_Ville View Post
    I would double-check those licenses to see if they are really "perpetual". Then I would add in the price of a backup system for Exchange 2007, as well as antivirus and spam filtering. And, somebody has to set the whole thing up.

Something isn't right about those numbers. The last Exchange quote I got was for 350 users and hardware and software came to around $80k, which included training.

They're perpetual, and the MS prices are accurate. I got an official quote from my Dell rep the day before posting. I've already got an Astaro Linux firewall that takes care of antivirus/SPAM, and the person that would set this up is poor salaried me. I'm not ruling out Zimbra, I'm evaluating it right now, and I like it, but the notion of jerry-rigging certain Exchange emulation stuff as opposed to just outright getting Exchange, for less money, is a bit off-putting. I already own the hardware for either solution, so it's simply the server/user licenses that I'd need.

EDIT: I'll probably leave this thread alone from now on. I don't mean to focus any negativity on the ZCS product. It appears pretty full featured. If/When we decide to migrate, I'll just compare the feature-sets and get the best pricing I can find, and make a decision. It just seemed odd that a "we try harder' Exchange alternative wouldn't have markedly more aggressive pricing for small-mid size outfits.
    Last edited by mono; 07-19-2008 at 01:00 PM.

gnyce is offline Advanced Member

Am not an expert in MS licensing - the whole thing _must_be convoluted/confusing on purpose - but when I compared Zimbra/GroupWise/Exchange, I thought Exchange came out higher than what you have. I think, based on our numbers (not too much higher than yours), we were going to have to do Exchange Enterprise (was either CPU/memory, or size of the mailstore). We also would have needed the Exchange CALs, plus would have needed to upgrade/buy Outlook 2003/2007, plus I thought there were Server CALs as well... and yes, as previous post added, the A/V (more than one level should be required, just having it at the gateway IMO is not sufficient), backup (Exchange agent), etc. It just got too complex/expensive...

Anyway, even though Zimbra (pricing-wise) was not much cheaper after 3 years+, I was able to justify it in a number of ways, such as:
    - much faster pace of development for Zimbra... versus Exchange 2003 to 2007, that's a long time between major releases
    - better cross-platform support, as we have windows/linux/mac desktops
    - purchased a mix of prof. and std. licenses, as we'll only have mgmt./staff who travel use Outlook to connect, the rest can use the ajax web client or IMAP
    - multiple ways to access your data/information, not so closed a silo

Sorry, but the numbers are wrong. Exchange CALs are $67 each. At 75 users, that comes to $5025. The price of Exchange standard is $700. That brings you to $5725, without adding the cost of Server 2008, CALs and the cost of the Outlook licenses (you have to pay for those now). We haven't even begun to discuss the price of hardware. Exchange 2007 is a 64 bit-only app.

Our numbers are spot on. We run ESX VMWare server on 64bit hardware, already have Windows server CALs as we're in a heterogeneous environment, and all our Dell PC's are provisioned when ordered with Office Basic (Word/Excel/Outlook). Even if the hardware wasn't already covered for us, I doubt I would lower the specs much for a Zimbra server than an Exchange server. RAM is cheap, and 64bit has been almost impossible NOT to buy for 2+ years.

The only costs for comparative reasons are those that I quoted, and given our current environment, it would be cheaper for us to move to Exchange. We're a small shop. I'd wager bigger outfits would get much better discounts than us on the licensing.

The relevant bit of the Dell quote:
    OLP EXCHANGE SVR 2007 NL (A0819461) 1 $620.00 $620.00
    EXCHANGE STANDARD CAL 2007 ENGLISH OLP NL USER CAL (A0818177) 75 $60.00 $4,500.00
    OLP WIN SVR STD 2008 SNGL NL (A1533806) 1 $644.00 $644.00

Number of S & A Items: 3

S&A Total Amount: $5,764.00
    Last edited by mono; 07-20-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mono View Post
    and given our current environment, it would be cheaper for us to move to Exchange.
    There you go. It is really not a one-to-one comparison. You are already half way there with what you have, so the cost of Exchange is cheaper for you than going to Zimbra. (Although I still think you need to add antivirus and backup.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information