View Poll Results: Are you getting an iPhone 3G?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

19 55.88%
  • No.

11 32.35%
  • Don't know yet.

4 11.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Poll]Getting an iPhone 3G?

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Default [Poll]Getting an iPhone 3G?

Editorial: This post isn't represenative of Zimbra or Yahoo's corporate option, and is mine alone. Don't email my boss....

Gotta admit. I wasn't a huge fan of the iPhone version 1. I was one of the lemmings that stood in line in burlingame, CA to get my iPhone v1 after gmsmith convinced me to get one. I could deal with the lack of an SDK by certain...shall we say...work arounds? Well, when I did an iPhone updaate, and it wiped the...work arounds...I had installed, I was angry.

Well, my love affair with the iPhone didn't last long. I got one of those AT&T/Apple surveys, and I told them that I thought that the iPhone was like a beautiful girl with absoluely no personality. Georgous phone, but I just couldn't do what I needed to do with it.

I broke my contract, and decided to get a BlackBerry 8800 World edition. I liked the BlackBerry's java-based software, and I found Verizon's coverage better than AT&T's.

Zimbra for BlackBerry works fantastic on it... Since then, my BlackBerry died of a data-overdose (actually, it died because of an ill-fated first try at a home-brew j2me application), and I moved onto Windows Moble 6 on my HTCV XV6800. What a peice of Junk this is! Using Windows Mobile on this phone is sorta like using MS Exchange. It crashes, is SUPER slow, and dang it: It never does what I want it to. I lost my stylus, so now I have to use my pinky finger.

One time, I got a phone call, and I hit answer on the touch screen, and it just froze. I later found out that people could hear me screaming at my phone, but I couldn't hear them.

Plus the lack of a good browser, and J2ME VM really makes me angry.

So, tomorrow morning, I will call in sick*, and go get an iPhone 3G. I miss it, and sort of feel like I've been in a fight with my girlfriend, only to get back together tomorrow.

What about you? Are you getting an iPhone 3G? Is it all hype to you? Got a cool story? Best story will win a tshirt, and maybe my HTC old phone...Although it may not be all in one peice by then.

Dirk is offline Moderator

I've been dropping hints about the new phone for some time now and just a few days ago we signed up for a new company deal with the UK provides that has iPhones and we'll be getting them in a few days.

This is largly on the strength of the exchange intergration of the phone and the fact that Zimbra supports it. The next challenge is to learn to write xcode and see if we can benefit from custom applications inhouse.

So yes, if work was not providing iPhones, I'd be in the queue's right now buying my own

dljordaneku is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    [B]

What a peice of Junk this is! Using Windows Mobile on this phone is sorta like using MS Exchange. It crashes, is SUPER slow, and dang it: It never does what I want it to. I lost my stylus, so now I have to use my pinky finger.

One time, I got a phone call, and I hit answer on the touch screen, and it just froze. I later found out that people could hear me screaming at my phone, but I couldn't hear them.
    If it wasn't for a different make and model, I would think I have your old phone. My Win Treo does that all the time. I guess I need to make sure I watch what I say about people who call me. :O

Anyway, no I am not going to get an iPhone right now. I am just not impressed with it right now. I will have to see what apps come out for it. I have a BB Curve through work and it has the apps I want ... gtalk, gmaps, facebook and a Twitter app. All for free which is a big point for me right now. I know the iPhone has a lot of this but work pays my data plan right now and with the data plan going up for the new version, no thanks.

dj

webman is offline Special Member

I can't stand Apple, their products, or the hype surrounding their company or products. Therefore I will definitely not be getting an iPhone

5 reasons to avoid iPhone 3G - Free Software Foundation
    Last edited by webman; 07-11-2008 at 04:25 PM.
    Craig Rodway » Flickr | Last.fm | Del.icio.us | Twitter

Well, folks. I just got home from my journey to Mecca. I left at 10AM PDT and got home at 6PM.

They ran out of iPhones at all of the AT&T stores, so I had to go to the apple store. After waiting in line for about 2 1/2 hours, then about 3 more hours of iTunes trouble, I finally got my 3G...only to find out that they don't have 3G in my area.

But atleast iHave and iPhone. Now, I need to destroy this other phone. Maybe I'll post a video

filipiak is offline Starter Member

Default Push e-mail and calendar

Hi J,

Have you tried the push e-mail and push calendar on your iPhone 3G? If so, which settings did you use?

I would like to test it as well, so I can tell my boss "Yes, it does work!"

Thanks,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by filipiak View Post
    Hi J,

Have you tried the push e-mail and push calendar on your iPhone 3G? If so, which settings did you use?

I would like to test it as well, so I can tell my boss "Yes, it does work!"

Thanks,

Brian
    Yes, it does work! And it works great!

At the risk of sound like an Apple-fan boy & Apple tool:
    I love my iPhone. I didn't realize how much I hated windows mobile until now.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Still weighing up whether to go the iPhone, BB or OpenMoko route

tech-ninja is offline Trained Alumni

I asked my boss for an iPhone 3G for "testing"

He was cool with it, but I had some hoops to jump through.
    1. We had to have a Verizon contract that was ending, so as not to incur a disconnect fee.
    2. the plan had to be similarly priced to the current Verizon plan

So, I did my homework. We recently got a new hire and it just so happened that the Verizon contract he was getting had just expired. They had already ordered him a new blackberry. I also confirmed that the plan price was similar.

I then forged a plan. I would send his blackberry back (thus not renewing the contract), close that account, give him my old phone and #, and get a new line of service with AT&T with an iPhone 3G.

My plan was accepted and I got my new phone yesterday. I was told I could get the 8 gig, and sent the email to our phone ordering lady. And apparently she cannot read, so I am the lucky owner of a 16 gig

So far I am loving it.
    Connected to Zimbra right away and the interface is great.
    I think I will still like it when all the shiny wears off.

salu is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Yes, it does work! And it works great!

At the risk of sound like an Apple-fan boy & Apple tool:
    I love my iPhone. I didn't realize how much I hated windows mobile until now.
    Pleae provide more detail information about setup zimbra email on iPhone 3G. Thank you very much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information