Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: MS offering to buy Yahoo ???

karmakramer is offline Starter Member

I hope as part of the deal Yahoo insists on spinning Zimbra back off on their own, I would also hope as part of Yahoo's Zimbra acquisition that Zimbra had a clause to be released from the deal if Yahoo was bought out, I think MS had already taken a pass at Yahoo prior to the Zimbra deal and that had to have been a concern for Zimbra at the time that MS would take another chance at some point in the future.

I know it's not a done deal yet, but seems obvious that Yahoo would be stupid not to take the money and run, just curious if there have been any comments from Zimbra's management on this concern.

fselendic is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by centrex View Post
    The current Zimbra FOSS edition is not GPL, right ?

Does that mean if the project were pulled, we could use the current source but not modify it ?
    No, Zimbra was never GPL, not even FOSS edition......however, MPL (mozilla public license) is actually more liberal license, differing from GPL just in way it treats addons (less viral)

So, if Zimbras 5x beta series were under licenses I think they were (server MPL and client ZPL), forking is a HUGE opportunity for someone.

Server just needs to be continued with MPL, nothing wrong about that license, and client should be rewritten.

To be honest, even some VC could be interested in such a thing. Not to mention it would be a nice way to show that attribution clause licenses are nonsense.

playnada is offline Active Member

Seriously, I think that this sucks. If MS were to acquire Yahoo, and supposing that they did not kill off Zimbra (which we just recently purchased and deployed, after Yahoo's purchase of Zimbra gave it more legitimacy) would they turn it into bastard-ware. This is what Novell did after they purchased Suse and their implementation of OpenXchange. They had a lot of promises and delivered on none, until the userbase eventually dried up and they migrated the remaining to Novell Products.

I may have to start making some contingency plans for a dreaded migration back to Exchange.

su_A_ve is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by karmakramer View Post
    I hope as part of the deal Yahoo insists on spinning Zimbra back off on their own, I would also hope as part of Yahoo's Zimbra acquisition that Zimbra had a clause to be released from the deal if Yahoo was bought out, I think MS had already taken a pass at Yahoo prior to the Zimbra deal and that had to have been a concern for Zimbra at the time that MS would take another chance at some point in the future.
    Why would those clauses exist ? Zimbra execs got their money, Yahoo! execs will get their money...

If it would have been Google, at least they would have gone after the in-prem opportunities... But what would M$ benefit from Zimbra ? ZILCH! Live for hosted, Exchange for in-prem...

NOT GOOD at all... This is it... And we just signed our 2000 staff in addition to our 10K licenses a year ago...

fselendic is offline Loyal Member

And I do hope that Zimbra management put some golden parachute clause in Yahoo buyout contract for this kind of situations.

Please, please, tell me that you have some kind of protection from this!

dljordaneku is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by karmakramer View Post
    ... I think MS had already taken a pass at Yahoo prior to the Zimbra deal and that had to have been a concern for Zimbra at the time that MS would take another chance at some point in the future.
    Seen this in a CNN story.

Quote Originally Posted by CNN Story
    Microsoft hopes to close the deal by the end of the year. Ballmer said that Microsoft has been in "off and on" talks with Yahoo for 18 months and said he called Yahoo CEO Jerry Yang Thursday night to tell him the bid was coming.
    dj

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Not to put too fine a point on this, but please not to be freaking out yet.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

mdeneen is offline Active Member

Unhappy bummer

I hope that it does not go through. I can't see a direct competitor of Exchange lasting long.

If it does go through, hopefully I am wrong.

timothyalangorman is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by playnada View Post
    Seriously, I think that this sucks. If MS were to acquire Yahoo, and supposing that they did not kill off Zimbra (which we just recently purchased and deployed, after Yahoo's purchase of Zimbra gave it more legitimacy) would they turn it into bastard-ware. This is what Novell did after they purchased Suse and their implementation of OpenXchange. They had a lot of promises and delivered on none, until the userbase eventually dried up and they migrated the remaining to Novell Products.

I may have to start making some contingency plans for a dreaded migration back to Exchange.

At that point... I'll Migrate to

Scalix: Linux Email, Calendaring and Messaging Platform

No way in hell will I run an M$ exchange $erver.

Mike Scholes is offline Advanced Member

So is it OK to freak out later I have to make a decision about Zimbra for our company very soon so I have to start freaking now, it's what I'm paid to do.

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information