Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: MS offering to buy Yahoo ???

p24t is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by meltingrobot View Post
    The license requires the Zimbra logo be used, and if MS owns the logo, they can prevent anybody from using/forking it.
    As I've already stated in this thread...

MS offering to buy Yahoo ???

MS can't prohibit use of the logos. It's in the license. It's protection so someone can't do that to you.

meltingrobot is offline Senior Member

Well, either way, I'm not downgrading to the OSS version from the NE version. When MS buys out Yahoo and shuts down the Zimbra team, I will just move on to another product. Most of this thread is about people worried about saving Zimbra, but in the end, they can only save themselves. I don't want to switch to another product, but I know I have no power in stopping Zimbra from getting shutdown after MS buys Yahoo. In other words, I'm not abandoning ship until it's really sinking, but I am keeping an eye out on nearby islands to see where would be easiest to swim to.

tgx
    tgx is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by meltingrobot View Post
    Well, either way, I'm not downgrading to the OSS version from the NE version. When MS buys out Yahoo and shuts down the Zimbra team, I will just move on to another product. Most of this thread is about people worried about saving Zimbra, but in the end, they can only save themselves. I don't want to switch to another product, but I know I have no power in stopping Zimbra from getting shutdown after MS buys Yahoo. In other words, I'm not abandoning ship until it's really sinking, but I am keeping an eye out on nearby islands to see where would be easiest to swim to.
    And I like many others will not deploy Zimbra until the issue is sorted out. I have no desire to rip and replace an entire email infrastructure only to have to do it again in 6 months.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Quote Originally Posted by tgx View Post
    And I like many others will not deploy Zimbra until the issue is sorted out. I have no desire to rip and replace an entire email infrastructure only to have to do it again in 6 months.
    hmmm, sounds oddly like the a certain large software maker's upgrade model to me....

I'm being sarcastic, of course.

Look, there are so many things that can be said in regard to this issue. Like, for instance, had you deployed back when you were considering it (I'm going to guess 3 months ago), then in your "theoretical 6 months", when the world ends, You'd be at 9 months. My point? 1) The software industry is always in flux. If you really think that Yahoo would invest 350 mil in Zimbra, and not want to "grow" it and throw it away, you're sorely mistaken. 2) Anyone who sits on the fence all the time, sits on the sideline.

Some of the views in this thread are indeed the vocal minority. How do I know that? I see the numbers. I also get the private messages, e-mails, and IMs from those who are too shy to post in this thread because some of you will flame them if they say something some of you don't agree with. While some are arguing about whether or not they'll deploy zimbra...sitting on the fence, we've been cranking out releases, and new features. Zimbra Desktop, Zimbra j2me, Perforce Cache, New ZCS Maintenance releases, and Zimbra for BES. You're missing it, and you'll continue to miss it.

We made a promise when this whole thing happened, and that promise has been that we will continue to do what we do best: Innovate. We haven't broken that promise. Our team doesn't come in every day to talk about Microsoft. Our team comes in, and we work, and do what we've done best since 2004.

I know that this post will not answer all of your questions, comments, suggestions, demands, etc.

Just please understand that 1) We support Yahoo! 100% in every single capacity and 2) as a public company, we cannot post any information that does not come from our parent. Such an action can be illegal. So please don't take our lack of posting on this issue as a negative sign.

So once again, while some of you will come in for your daily "MS News" on this thread, the rest of us will be enjoying Zimbra and the innovation and features we bring to the table.

tgx
    tgx is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Anyone who sits on the fence all the time, sits on the sideline.
    It's been said, "Timing is everything."
    So we agree to disagree.

Bill Brock is offline Outstanding Member

If Zimbra went away tomorrow, my installation would still stand and work great. There are a couple of bugs I'm waiting to be fixed - I hope in the next release. But I'm sure not going to let MS stop me from using a very good mail server that at the very least will be as good tomorrow no matter what MS does.

I still don't believe MS will kill ZCS even if they buy Yahoo!. They want a premium hosting service and ZCS is better than their Exchange offering - especially for hosting. And if Zimbra can make money from it, that is all MS wants to do. If anything I would expect them to tighten the interoperability with Exchange.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Personally, I have not really commented on this thread as "What will be, will be". The IT market is changing so quick, and with so many acquisitions being made you can never keep up. Yes, I agree if M$ were to procure Yahoo! then things would most probably change, but at the same time ex Gentoo founder Daniel Robbins has also worked for M$, so they must be taking OSS serious. Zimbra is a fantastic piece of software, and the FOSS version is by far the best collaborative messaging system in the OSS space, so I doubt M$ will destroy this fantastic potential opportunity.

Nobody can predict the future, and if I knew that M$ were going to kill Zimbra I would not continue spending my time performing a moderator role. I am sure Yahoo! will make every effort to protect the future of Zimbra if such a sale was to come to fruition.

No system/software is for life, so in my opinion always keep a grasp of what offerings are in place, and plan for a potential system change every couple of years.

I am sure both the customers and community shall not be let down (I hope) so keep enjoying Zimbra, and I would not hesitate in investing money with them.

pbruna is offline Project Contributor

Default Remember, Remember

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Zimbra is a fantastic piece of software, and the FOSS version is by far the best collaborative messaging system in the OSS space, so I doubt M$ will destroy this fantastic potential opportunity.
    Has everyone forgot how MS business model works against competitors?

Nobody can predict the future
    Nope, but surely you can look to the past and take a very good guest.

No system/software is for life, so in my opinion always keep a grasp of what offerings are in place, and plan for a potential system change every couple of years.
    This is a very light statment, and for my experiencie the main reason people goes with MS, and not FOSS, is because it's seems impossible that MS died, ever. So there is not need to think which new product im going to deploy in 2 years, just how much the update is going to cost.
    This is very important because the people who use the product doest not has to learn every 2 years a new product.

Also a very important reason because Zimbra is chosen is because is a truly alternative.

I understand Zimbra can not pronounce about a possible take over of Yahoo, but we who promote, share and work with Zimbra are really worried about this, because the uncertainty future of Yahoo/Zimbra.
    Patricio Bruna
    http://www.itlinux.cl

Arglex1 is offline Intermediate Member

hmmm, sounds oddly like the a certain large software maker's upgrade model to me....

I'm being sarcastic, of course.

Look, there are so many things that can be said in regard to this issue. Like, for instance, had you deployed back when you were considering it (I'm going to guess 3 months ago), then in your "theoretical 6 months", when the world ends, You'd be at 9 months. My point? 1) The software industry is always in flux. If you really think that Yahoo would invest 350 mil in Zimbra, and not want to "grow" it and throw it away, you're sorely mistaken. 2) Anyone who sits on the fence all the time, sits on the sideline.

Some of the views in this thread are indeed the vocal minority. How do I know that? I see the numbers. I also get the private messages, e-mails, and IMs from those who are too shy to post in this thread because some of you will flame them if they say something some of you don't agree with. While some are arguing about whether or not they'll deploy zimbra...sitting on the fence, we've been cranking out releases, and new features. Zimbra Desktop, Zimbra j2me, Perforce Cache, New ZCS Maintenance releases, and Zimbra for BES. You're missing it, and you'll continue to miss it.

We made a promise when this whole thing happened, and that promise has been that we will continue to do what we do best: Innovate. We haven't broken that promise. Our team doesn't come in every day to talk about Microsoft. Our team comes in, and we work, and do what we've done best since 2004.

I know that this post will not answer all of your questions, comments, suggestions, demands, etc.

Just please understand that 1) We support Yahoo! 100% in every single capacity and 2) as a public company, we cannot post any information that does not come from our parent. Such an action can be illegal. So please don't take our lack of posting on this issue as a negative sign.

So once again, while some of you will come in for your daily "MS News" on this thread, the rest of us will be enjoying Zimbra and the innovation and features we bring to the table.
    I am a NE customer. We switched to Zimbra just before the Yahoo takeover. We continue to hope that Zimbra NE will survive.

However, I do run an IT department for a company that must continue to operate. Our licenses are set to expire later this year. The VPs have all asked me to account for the future of Zimbra and I can not. These same VPs are the ones who said the Zimbra switch was one of the best ideas I came up with.

When the licenses expire, I have a lot of talking to do, and if Yahoo / Zimbra is going to get our money, we will require assurances to protect our investment.

I don't sit the fence. I act and act efficiently. Something from Zimbra would be a lot of help for people in my position when it comes time to renew the licenses.

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tgx View Post
    I completely disagree with 6 months remark..in reality ISP use software which is years old and many time don’t even upgrade (i.e more than 20 million mailboxes still on Imail 8.1 which is no longer supported since last 3+ years..because its not broken and it works)
    Same goes for zimbra..it works and its not broken.

We have 25 OSS Zimbra servers already deployed and have no intention to stop..even if yahoo is sold tomorrow and zimbra is shut down, the OOS version of zimbra is still good software and can be used for at least 2-3 more years and if you are little savvy you can even patch up any future 3rd party security issue yourself making it software live at least 3+ years.
    Heck I cannot even guarantee my life for 3 years but current OSS version is good to got for anyone who needs solid working email solution as a business.

...So please don't take our lack of posting on this issue as a negative sign....
    I completely agree with Jholder..lots of people on this tread shouting at zimbra for not answering..when they cannot give them any.
    It also don’t mean they don’t care. If you read the few thousands posts on this forum you will see that they “do listen” and “act” accordingly for the interest of their software.

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread Information