Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: MS offering to buy Yahoo ???

CrazyOne is offline Junior Member

I'm just a Zimbra hosted (at Contegix) customer, but the prospect is worrisome in general. Zimbra is a direct alternative to Exchange. Why would Microsoft want to keep *that* around?

putt1ck is offline Active Member

Default Join the GPL call...

Before the purchase is completed!

MS buys Yahoo? We want Zimbra GPLed NOW!

kevlatimer is offline Intermediate Member

A horrifying prospect. I made my feelings very clear when Yahoo! bought Zimbra, but I allowed myself to be convinced it was no bad thing, despite my reservations, and went ahead with the purchase.

The idea of Microsoft taking the reigns fills me with a sense of mortal terror. My boss, who I sold the idea of Zimbra to, is even less thrilled.

fselendic is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by putt1ck View Post
    Before the purchase is completed!

MS buys Yahoo? We want Zimbra GPLed NOW!
    And who should GPL it? Yahoo? Why? They payed 360 mil $ for it, or something like that.

Well, on one part is actually our own fault. This will teach me to never look again "kind of" opensource products, with attribution clause. One or two purchases down the road, and all hell breaks loose.

centrex is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by fselendic View Post
    This would be a huge fck up. I don't know what Zimbra people can do, I suppose not much. Yahoo could maybe GPL it to save technology, but I doubt it will happen. If this happens, it will have to be forked, maybe even by same team, starting with version 4.5x, which is, at least on the server side, MPL licensed.
    The current Zimbra FOSS edition is not GPL, right ?

Does that mean if the project were pulled, we could use the current source but not modify it ?

p24t is offline Moderator

I have a 2 year contract with Zimbra. As such, both Yahoo and MS will honor that contract. If not, they face lawsuits. (i'm sure they know better)

However, my concern about a MS purchase would be how dev could continue, or if, etc.

phingers is offline Special Member

I know Zimbra staff are probably scrambling for answers, so any idea on when we would be able to expect some initial thoughts from you?

I would guess the transition would take years to fully ripple through everything, the regulation committees and all that mumbo jumbo, so we'll have time to evaluate other alternatives if Zimbra is closing up shop.

But overall though, I vote a major though of panic and concern that struck me when I found out.

We appreciate any insight you can provide.

timothyalangorman is offline Special Member

Default BS..I am a paying mobile / NE admin with 150 ish usera sn I will

BS..I am a paying mobile / NE admin with 150 ish admin.
    With all the nice things zimbra has done for me in the last several months.. this is BS....
    The zimbra people knew that MS had a desire to aquire yahoo. This is like throwing us ALL under the bus... I saw this coming for 6 months and I'm pretty pissed.
    I will not renew and unless someone takes the open source version and gpls's it......... I may no even continue to use zimbra..
    I may start looking at other prodicts to test as soon as the buy is approved.

The wholoe Idea of using this product was to avoid the Bloat and BS that MS has brought to other apps at my company.
    I will not sit back and idly let my email turn into an exchange server.
    NOT A XXXXing chance.
    timg
    Last edited by timothyalangorman; 02-01-2008 at 07:37 AM.

fselendic is offline Loyal Member

Well, can anyone remember what was the last code drop before YPL? Zimbra was in beta 5.0 phases, wasn't it?

So, can anyone confirm, as far as I recall, server side was pure MPL, and web client was ZPL, which is MPL plus attribution.

It shouldn't be too much work to fork. Even if for the first year or so web client stays as Zimbra powered.

kevindods is offline Advanced Member

Default Not likely to happen but...

GPL would be nice. Although that only protects the OSS version not Network as Network comprises software that is proprietary and not Yahoo! owned. One of the hooks that came to mind when we saw Yahoo! buying Zimbra. Thats why we stopped the promotion of it as a service and stuck with OSS instead of Network. Felt far too vulnerable.

Must be difficult for the ex Zimbra staff who have worked so hard on this. I hope the cash element payouts for shares will make it worthwhile - if it comes to it.

I suppose they could always GPL all they have that is GPL-able on OSS and Network.... Might offer some quick step forward for others to bridge the proprietary element with OSS/FOSS.

Might go a little blue if I hold my breath though, so I will just hope ;-)

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information