Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: MS offering to buy Yahoo ???

greenrenault is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

Default Wishful thinking

Quote Originally Posted by aheittman View Post
    provided that Microsoft does not kill it.
    And the chances of that would be? Zero, for two simple reasons:
    1. Zimbra competes directly with MS Exchange. And is better (oh dear!).
    2. ZImbra is a product that is built on an open source software stack, which cannot be ported to a Windows server and actively promotes Linux adoption.

So if M buys Y and gets Z. Then for Z to survive, it must be the community that continues to develop and support it.

I just hope that the components of what is currently the Z Network Edition are released back to the community under the YPL so that this work is not lost also and can live on.

Russianspi is offline Loyal Member

Default Google-Yahoo! Alliance

It wouldn't be so bad if Google bailed Yahoo out. This post I found on Slashdot has the story: Yahoo may consider Google alliance, source says | Reuters. That sounds way better than a Microsoft buyout...

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

I don't mean to be critical, but many of you just need to learn how to roll with the wind. Any good admin will have a backup plan - but speculating and complaining on a forum isn't going to scare away the beast.

The Zimbra community and staff has always been good to each other, and I'm sure there will be a workable solution to whatever comes out of this. Mergers and acquisitions are an inevitable part of living in a capitalist economy.

Haven't any of you seen Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? If you haven't let me share something with you:

DON'T PANIC! Keep over-thinking this one, and you might just disappear in a puff of logic, QED.

If anything, maybe we ought to express a little concern for the people who put their blood, sweat, and tears into Zimbra over the last few years, and hope they still have jobs in the next few months/years/whatever.

-n8
    Yes, v.well said. The folks at Zimbra generally have been a great company to deal with and have put many hours of blood and sweat into a revolutionary product. I hope it works out well for you, as well as us.

It wouldn't be so bad if Google bailed Yahoo out. This post I found on Slashdot has the story: Yahoo may consider Google alliance, source says | Reuters. That sounds way better than a Microsoft buyout...
    Manna from heaven...

leog21 is offline Special Member

Question MSFT and Yahoo - Zimbra's Faith?

Sorry I didn't know where to post this.

What do you think will happen to Zimbra if MS aqquires Yahoo? Zimbra is marketed as the Exchange killer. Do you think MS will let Zimbra live?

homesnatch is offline Starter Member

Angry Microsoft eating OpenSource/Zimbra

Step 1 - Yahoo buys Zimbra
    Step 2 - Microsoft buys Yahoo
    Step 3 - Zimbra disbanded because MS already has Exchange.

You better hope Step 2 doesn't happen. Yahoo funds a lot of open source projects.. that funding goes away if MS buys them.

jeffreyheinen is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by leog21 View Post
    What do you think will happen to Zimbra if MS aqquires Yahoo? Zimbra is marketed as the Exchange killer. Do you think MS will let Zimbra live?
    Historically, Microsoft has been the type to buy out companies. Rebrand what it can sell, and kill that which competes with it's own products. That's why so many people are scared of this news. People here can not see how Microsoft could allow Zimbra to survive, let alone thrive and grow. People on Flickr don't see how they will continue in positive ways with their system either.

I would, however, like to point out that Microsoft must know that it is in trouble. Look at it's recent offering in Vista. Look at how long the new Office took. And for all the complaints of bloat-ware and proformance issues and others that have been leveled at it, you would think (hope?) that they hear and understand at least a small subsection of them. Buying Yahoo! could be a very good thing.. if they capitalize on it in the right way. Meaning.. let Microsoft become more like Yahoo!. Yahoo! is the stronger brand in many sectors anyway and they are better structures toward acting on the new technologies and processes (Software as a Service) as well.

Of course, that would mean a radical shakeup of the whole operational structure of the company as well as changes in the way the company "thinks" on all levels. (I do like the term Company DNA. I think it fits.) Which I don't see them being willing to do. (The critic in me feels that some of the high-level execs there might not be able to even grasp this concept. But I don't know them enough to say that.)

I've spoken with my boss, and no one at my company is worried too much about it. We are going to keep on with our Zimbra system for now and keep an eye on the news. (Oh, and I'm going to keep laughing as Google and Microsoft continue to bicker with each other about monopolies. )

ronpoz is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by greenrenault View Post
    And the chances of that would be? Zero, for two simple reasons:
    1. Zimbra competes directly with MS Exchange. And is better (oh dear!).
    2. ZImbra is a product that is built on an open source software stack, which cannot be ported to a Windows server and actively promotes Linux adoption.

So if M buys Y and gets Z. Then for Z to survive, it must be the community that continues to develop and support it.

I just hope that the components of what is currently the Z Network Edition are released back to the community under the YPL so that this work is not lost also and can live on.
    I hope so. These articles, although based on opinion, make me slightly nervous.

Zimbra most likely casualty of Microsoft-Yahoo combo
    Zimbra most likely casualty of Microsoft-Yahoo combo - vnunet.com

bjquinn is offline Advanced Member

Just so I'm on the record, can we GPL zimbra now?

-BJ

su_A_ve is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Russianspi View Post
    If this happened, at least Zimbra would survive as an in prem solution, which Google doesn't have. It would be a direct competitor to Exchange.

This way... ugh - what's the point for M$? You want hosted ? You get Live. You want in prem ? You get Exchange...

padraig is offline Elite Member

Talking gpl it

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Guys,
    It's fine to post your opinions..and even bash us. However, you must still obey the rules. No explicit profanity. Plain and simple.
    That's the first time since 2005 I've ever had to say that.....

-john
    This Says it all

Any chance zimbra could add mobile/zco/rebranding & backup to the oos and gpl it
    Last edited by padraig; 02-05-2008 at 07:23 AM. Reason: rebranding

Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread Information