raj
    raj is offline Moderator

for the post above please read the below response from zimbra CEO

To Our Customers

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Mike Scholes is offline Advanced Member

I think this was needed, I have just downloaded 5.0.2 and will be continuing with Zimbra as planned.

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

I truly belive even if Yahoo is bought by MS..zimbra OSS will live on..
    How ?
    Under What License?
    Who will run it?
    All those questions I guess will be answered when time comes..so truly i donít see any reason for OSS community and people who using OSS version to really freak out just yet.

Just my thoughts ..I have been member of Zimbra OSS since 2005 and Zimbra guys are really dedicated and they will do whatís best for OSS Zimbra as itís there baby

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

aheittman is offline Starter Member

Default "Thanks Zimbra, Hello Google Apps"

One good thing about migrating from Exchange to Zimbra - we've found it makes the switch to Google Apps much easier. Thanks Zimbra!

tecosystems Ľ The RedMonk IT Report: Thanks Zimbra, Hello Google Apps

centrex is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by aheittman View Post
    One good thing about migrating from Exchange to Zimbra - we've found it makes the switch to Google Apps much easier. Thanks Zimbra!

tecosystems Ľ The RedMonk IT Report: Thanks Zimbra, Hello Google Apps
    I don't think Google Apps is an alternative worth mentioning. Do you really want your stuff stored on a server you do not control by an organization with a dubious privacy policy ?

A policy that includes fine print which mentions things like "we may never delete your data, even after you close your account".

agerate is offline New Member

Unhappy dead project walking

No matter what will appens in the near future, nor in the long, who is now evaluating zimbra to change his mail server, will switch to a different product or project and this isn't good for zimbra, for yahoo nor for MS.
    I think that for the business to continue while Yahoo's board or the antitrust or everyone else decide the zimbra server has to go fully GPL while the zimbra client (web interface) can remain YPL.

fselendic is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by agerate View Post
    No matter what will appens in the near future, nor in the long, who is now evaluating zimbra to change his mail server, will switch to a different product or project and this isn't good for zimbra, for yahoo nor for MS.
    I think that for the business to continue while Yahoo's board or the antitrust or everyone else decide the zimbra server has to go fully GPL while the zimbra client (web interface) can remain YPL.
    Doesn't need to be GPL. MPL is a very nice license, even more business friendly than GPL.

All of this buyout/disaster talk wouldn't be a problem at all if just server components stayed under MPL, as they were before Yahoo aquisition.

KermitTheFragger is offline Junior Member

Perhaps I'm daft; But I don't understand what all the fuss is all about.

For example look at this part of the license:

1.5 - This Agreement does not limit Your right to distribute files that are entirely Your own work (i.e., which do not incorporate any portion of the Software and are not Modifications) under any terms You choose.

This is way more liberal then the GPL !

So why is this logo part such a big deal ?

fselendic is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by KermitTheFragger View Post
    Perhaps I'm daft; But I don't understand what all the fuss is all about.

For example look at this part of the license:

1.5 - This Agreement does not limit Your right to distribute files that are entirely Your own work (i.e., which do not incorporate any portion of the Software and are not Modifications) under any terms You choose.

This is way more liberal then the GPL !

So why is this logo part such a big deal ?
    Because if Yahoo/MS stop developing Zimbra, someone else will have to. And it is not usual for either OS people, nor companies take badgeware licensed work and continue it. Thats why, after all, badgeware is invented

Although, yep, it is nice to have at least this kind of freedoms and opened source.

aheittman is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by centrex View Post
    I don't think Google Apps is an alternative worth mentioning. Do you really want your stuff stored on a server you do not control by an organization with a dubious privacy policy ?

A policy that includes fine print which mentions things like "we may never delete your data, even after you close your account".
    Zimbra has been sold (by partners) as a hosted service as well as an installable software product. Google Apps offers a credible alternative to hosted Zimbra, with advantages -- such as a third party archiving and discovery service, and duplicate forwarding to an organization archival server -- that most hosted Zimbra resellers do not offer.

If an organization is very concerned with privacy and control of its data, all hosted alternatives will be poor choices. The language in Google's policy is typical of all hosted providers (including many of Zimbra's, which I have personally reviewed) and exists to limit their liability in the routine care of the data they host.

Zimbra will remain a great choice for admins choosing to operate their own mail server, provided that Microsoft does not kill it.

Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information