Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Will not sync Yahoo account

Mark Burnham is offline New Member

Also unable to connect to yahoo.Have been useing Zimbra Free since March a great program.

MikeWurlitzer is offline Junior Member

After I started this thread, as my mission critical stuff was on Roadrunner, and it is still working stellar on that e-mail system, I decided to try Zimbra with my gmail account. Nope, I cannot create the account connection and yes IMAP is enabled on gmail.

IMO, Zimbra has a lot to offer for my use, and I'll ride this out and see if it gets resolved in a reasonable amount of time.

Zimbra seems to be quite a powerful tool but being a 3rd party to numerous other e-mail systems must be like herding cats.

For that matter, my old Outlook would crash 2-3 times a day once I went to Windows 7 64bit from XP 32bit. It would get worse every time MS sent out a Win7 "update". The last "update" eliminated every file association with every one of my MS Office programs. I disabled update.

Ryan1 is offline Loyal Member

The only e-mail trick that Zimbra does that is unique that I need is that it does Yahoo without POP (when it is working anyway). There aren't many other options for that in a third party client. GMail gives free POP access and so do most other Webmail services. So it not for the yahoo access, I probably wouldn't have any use for Zimbra. I've been making an effort to get rid of my Yahoo mail accounts just for that reason, so I could use any client to get my mail instead of being reliant on Zimbra, but I've been slow and lazy at phasing them out.

When I first used Zimbra it has loads of serious bugs. It's also a huge resource hog. I wasn't even sure it was worth the trouble there for a while, but I hung in there. Over a few years they have fixed the most serious ones and it is pretty stable for the most part for the things I use it for. But I think the last set of fixes took about a year or more to come out. Not exactly helpful if you are counting on it for important things. But overall I've grown to like it and certainly appreciate that they developed it for FREE! But they will never be able to avoid problems that are caused by Yahoo changing their mail service because those are apparently unpredictable to Zimbra. So you have to be willing to accept this kind of thing.
    Last edited by Ryan1; 10-07-2013 at 10:57 AM.

dr_westy is offline New Member

Default DON'T PANIC! All is fine and ok!

Ladies and Gents

The solution is very nice. You will smile.

Simply transfer all mail from Yahoo into a local folder (you may have some in there that are not on Yahoo any more) and delete the Yahoo account in mail. Create a new account as a normal IMAP account. You have to delete the old account as Zimbra is clever enough to see if you have another account with the same address, and gibs out if you do.
    The settings you'll require are:
    • IMAP Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com with port 993 and SSL (Not TLS)
    • SMTP Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com with port 143 with SSL

All should work happily. Did for me

Remember this: Move from Yahoo as soon as you can! I am! Zimbra can last a little longer...

Mike

iStar19 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by dr_westy View Post
    Ladies and Gents

The solution is very nice. You will smile.

Simply transfer all mail from Yahoo into a local folder (you may have some in there that are not on Yahoo any more) and delete the Yahoo account in mail. Create a new account as a normal IMAP account. You have to delete the old account as Zimbra is clever enough to see if you have another account with the same address, and gibs out if you do.
    The settings you'll require are:
    • IMAP Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com with port 993 and SSL (Not TLS)
    • SMTP Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com with port 143 with SSL

All should work happily. Did for me

Remember this: Move from Yahoo as soon as you can! I am! Zimbra can last a little longer...

Mike
    Doesn't work for me. Still receive the "Authentication failed due to unknown reason" message. Details say Unspecified error.

Ryan1 is offline Loyal Member

I think Yahoos IMAP access is supposed to be limited to mobile networks and isn't supposed to work on a desktop system. But I think there are proxys that might make it usable on a desktop system. I think they also operate an SMTP server that you can access but the port is 465 and you need SSL enabled with your mail address and password. I'm not sure how any of this would work with ZD, because it isn't a standard client.

myeurop is offline Member

does this mess have anything to do with yahoo (microsoft!!) launching the new "slick" ( o boy!) version of yahoo mail that, unlike how it was done in the past, does not allow users to switch back to the old version. This according to the motto: " take it or leave it. We don't care if you don't like it, YOU HAVE TO LIKE IT!" Thanks mr Balmer.
    by the way, somehow when I access my yahoo mail acct on Mozilla, I get the new unretreavibly forever version, but when I use IE I still get the old version.

MikeWurlitzer is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by myeurop View Post
    does this mess have anything to do with yahoo (microsoft!!) launching the new "slick" ( o boy!) version of yahoo mail that, unlike how it was done in the past, does not allow users to switch back to the old version. This according to the motto: " take it or leave it. We don't care if you don't like it, YOU HAVE TO LIKE IT!" Thanks mr Balmer.
    by the way, somehow when I access my yahoo mail acct on Mozilla, I get the new unretreavibly forever version, but when I use IE I still get the old version.
    ================================================== ===========
    Well I use Chrome from my browser and stay as far away from IE as possible. I have MS update disabled. I did not notice anything different on the Yahoo UI from the time earlier last week when Zimbra was working perfectly with both Roadrunner and Yahoo. That only means no visible Yahoo changes but a lot under the hood could have changed.

I certainly noticed a big change in my " Yahoo Groups" but that was a month or so ago.

I'd switch all my non-Yahoo Group stuff to gmail except I cannot get Zimbra to attach to my gmail account even with IMAP enabled.

dr_westy is offline New Member

Default Yahoo Support Email

Because I didn't see my Yahoo mail for a few days I didn't see the email from Yahoo which checks out OK, and provides links to their help pages for setting up IMAP support as their service has changed. I've removed the cruft that was in the original email. Or log into Yahoo and check it out, see if you're lucky!

YAHOO! MAIL

Please update your mail settings.

As part of Yahoo's commitment to strengthening our security and improving your overall mail experience, we have detected that your current mail settings are out of date.

In order to better protect your email and personal information, we require that you update your Yahoo Mail settings to SSL within the next 10 days. Once updated, you will be able to continue to access your accounts through an external mail client (MS Outlook, etc.). If your settings are not updated within the next 10 days, you will only be able to access your Mail account from Yahoo.com for your security.

Please click on the link below to access your IMAP or POP settings

Helpcentral Help | - SLN4075 - IMAP settings for Yahoo Mail (IMAP)
    Helpcentral Help | - SLN4724 - POP server settings for Yahoo Mail (POP)

Or if you prefer, follow the instructions below.

Updating IMAP settings:

1. Go to "help.yahoo.com"
    2. Under "Help by Product" at the bottom, click "Yahoo Mail".
    3. Click the left arrow once to see a new set of topics.
    4. Click "POP and IMAP".
    5. Click "IMAP settings for Yahoo Mail".
    Updating POP settings:

1. Go to "help.yahoo.com"
    2. Search for "POP Settings" in the search box.
    3. Click "POP server settings for Yahoo Mail".

D_Pollack is offline New Member

No luck. Same authentication error. Anyone else get this to work?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information