Thread: ZD 2 Beta 1 Install -- App won't go past startup screen?

amyp is offline Junior Member

Default ZD 2 Beta 1 Install -- App won't go past startup screen?

I think I followed the installation instructions for ZD 2 Beta 1 -- uninstalled ZD 1, downloaded install for ZD2 Beta 1 for my OS (Win32, SP3), ran it stepping through install wizard. All appeared to go well until I went to >Programs>Zimbra and tried to run it. Startup screen shows up, black 'run' window flashes so fast I can't see anything, and startup screen hangs with little red dots going happily around in a circle.

Any thoughts?

pleo84103 is offline Intermediate Member

When you are on the screen with the 3 rotating icons, you may be able to get to an error console if that hasn't change since ZD1. While at the screen with the 3 rotating icons, press Shift-F6, you should see a little gear in lower right hand corner of screen. If you click on that you should get a tools menu, select that, then select error console, you may want to copy and paste what you see there.

Actually, I don't get to the three red icons screen -- it hangs at the start on a white screen with a circle of dots in the center, dots being grey but for a rotation of a dot being red.

Thanks for the Shift-F6, a flurry of messages came up. Here are the messages that look like they may be relevant, after some information stuff about 'can update':

Reading Status File: C:\Documents and Settings\amyp\Local Settings\Application Data\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\win32\prism\updates\0\update.status

_postUpdateProcessing: No Status, No Update

_loadXMLFileIntoArray: XML File does not exist

Error: this.docShell is null
    Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml
    Line: 0

Warning: Error in parsing value for 'height'. Declaration dropped.
    Source File: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/amyp/Local%20Settings/Application%20Data/Zimbra/Zimbra%20Desktop/zdesktop.webapp/splash.html
    Line: 8

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80540006 [nsIApplicationIcon.show]" nsresult: "0x80540006 (<unknown>)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://webrunner/content/webrunner.js :: anonymous :: line 740" data: no]

jmhe is offline Zimbra Employee

thanks pleo84103 and amyp. the error from error console is helpful. we are looking into this issue.

I'm just an average user, and had this or something very similar happen to me using ZD1. From what I've read, it seems to have to do with an interaction of recent Itunes upgrade, ZD1 and specifically open source software from mozilla called prism. I believe the mozilla folks are working on an update, and I believe the zimbra folks are working on integrating a newer version of prism, but am not sure the status of all of this. The zimbra folks wanted me to try ZD2 but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

There are some workarounds to get the app up in ZD1, maybe they will work for ZD2 as well.

You may want to check out this post which describes the issue, lists some workarounds, and lists some other posts.

I Give Up.

Like I said, I just a user, so you may just want to read about what I've found, and hopefully a moderator or zimbra rep will see this and give you some real advice.

By the way you probably already know this but
    I reread:
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...tml#post154649
    and tried setting trayicon=false in webapp.ini, as described in this post and zimbra came right up, but this is for latest 1.x desktop. Have still not had a chance to try that for 2.x desktop

It worked! Thanks for pointing me to that thread. I can now provide one datapoint where it solved all problems (as far as I can tell )

Glad you're able to get past that. Do you have Itunes 9.x loaded on the machine that would not load ZD 2 Beta 1?

Thread Information