Thread: ZD2 doesn't upgrade old version

sagelike is offline Active Member

Default ZD2 doesn't upgrade old version

I installed ZD2 and am getting Unauthorized Access message in a blank ZD2 application window.

The old version is still installed.

I couldn't find any instructions on best procedure for upgrading an existing version, 1.03.

How to I move the message store over?

If I uninstall the old version what will happen to the existing message store? Will the new version automatically load it up?

It would be nice if this version upgraded the old version.

soxfan is offline Moderator

The 2.0 beta 1 announcement in the ZD General Questions forum states that there is no upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0. Additionally, the announcement post originally said you could run 2.0 in parallel with 1.0, but there was an additional post that said this only works on the Mac platform and will cause issues in Windows. You don't state what platform you are running ZD on, but if it is Windows it looks like you will need to uninstall 1.0 first.

Hi there

I should have used different wording. I knew there was no upgrade but I would like to know what the best method is for moving to 2.0.

I tried an export/import process but when I import nothing seems to happen. I get a notification that import has begun but then there's no indication of progress. No spinning wheel. If you move away from the Import tab and come back, there's no indication that an import process is going on.

My guess is that it is synching from the server.

Other than that, ZD2 looks awesome. The interface improvements are great and it's definitely faster.

Well, it must have used the imported file because I had 5gb in that account and there's no way 5Gb would have synched from the server in just two hours.

It would be handy to have some kind of visual indicator of progress so you know that it's working.

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

Yeah we understand it'd be nice to have direct upgrade path. However since we replaced derby with SQLite, it would take a big effort to migrate data. Since most user data can be resynched anyway, we think it's better we spend our time improving the product. Sorry about the inconvenience.

A word of caution. In general it's a bad idea to export/import data that's still on your server. When you setup new mailboxes to sync with server, ZD won't know you already imported some data. When you export/import, not all metadata is kept. As a result you will have duplicate data. So please only use export/import for your true "local only" data.

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

Regarding soxfan's comment on running 1.0 and 2.0 in parallel. We actually did everything to make sure 1.0 and 2.0 don't step on each other. However it looks like on Windows two instances of Prism can colide because of the way they locate certain resources. We'll try to work with the Prism team to resolve that.

I did use local export for my data though I've run into problems with a few corrupted emails.

When I first started ZD2 it immediately started to sync which I could only stop by shutting down the program. I started up again and tried the import but it was probably synching at the same time.

It would be nice if on account setup you we're given the option of importing your data before the account starts with some kind of progress indicator.
    Instructions on best methods of migrating would be handy as well.

As it stands I think you're probably better off allowing duplicates (which I did not select) to avoid corrupted individual emails.

Cheers

jmhe is offline Zimbra Employee

Have you tried setting up your email accounts and have them sync'ed manually, before you are done importing? (Check Messages: manually)

Quote Originally Posted by sagelike View Post
    I did use local export for my data though I've run into problems with a few corrupted emails.

When I first started ZD2 it immediately started to sync which I could only stop by shutting down the program. I started up again and tried the import but it was probably synching at the same time.

It would be nice if on account setup you we're given the option of importing your data before the account starts with some kind of progress indicator.
    Instructions on best methods of migrating would be handy as well.

As it stands I think you're probably better off allowing duplicates (which I did not select) to avoid corrupted individual emails.

Cheers

No. I don't see that option anywhere.

jmhe is offline Zimbra Employee

In the account setup page, there is this edit box with preceding label "Check Messages: "

Quote Originally Posted by sagelike View Post
    No. I don't see that option anywhere.

Thread Information