Thread: ZDesktop 0.92 (1418) Linux very slow & links dont work inside emails

gnu2tux is offline Intermediate Member

Default ZDesktop 0.92 (1418) Linux very slow & links dont work inside emails

Hi,

Two issues, one big (at the moment), one smaller:

1) Since the last upgrade, whilst functionality has again gone up, the speed has dramatically gone down, at least on an Ubuntu Linux box with 1GB RAM. ZD grinds to a halt, comes up with 'slow script' errors, 'server slow to respond' popups and all sorts since the upgrade. Just viewing a normal email takes tons of disk activity and at least 1-2 mins to load a message.

At first I thought this was a memory leak issue, it may still be as memory usage is waay high (prism is the top memory muncher in top always). I originally suspected this as if you leave the ZD connected to your ZCS NE server overnight it seems to manifest to becoming really slow after then, but now it appears that this is no longer the case and it can happen at any time.

Anyway, if you could please sort out something with this as it is obviously unusable in it's current state under linux.

2) URL Links don't work in the Linux version of ZD. They are not hyperlinked (eg move your mouse over a link and it won't underline or allow you to click it), you have to select the text and copy it into your browser window to use the link. This is a bit annoying since ZCS allows you to click the link and FF will open up a new tab straight away.

Thanks.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gnu2tux View Post
    At first I thought this was a memory leak issue, it may still be as memory usage is waay high (prism is the top memory muncher in top always). I originally suspected this as if you leave the ZD connected to your ZCS NE server overnight it seems to manifest to becoming really slow after then, but now it appears that this is no longer the case and it can happen at any time.
    I have clients that connect to an NE server (linux & windows) with Desktop and they have been connected for weeks, it doesn't seem to cause a problem for me. Do you actually mean that the UI is open all the time and you get the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by gnu2tux View Post
    2) URL Links don't work in the Linux version of ZD. They are not hyperlinked (eg move your mouse over a link and it won't underline or allow you to click it), you have to select the text and copy it into your browser window to use the link. This is a bit annoying since ZCS allows you to click the link and FF will open up a new tab straight away.
    This also works for me on linux & windows, url links are highlighted and will open a new window when clicked. Are there any errors in the log files?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I'm usually leaving the connection open over night, so that means that ZD has been running for 1-2 days tops. It's absolutely unusable after that period. I have to close and restart it.

I don't know where the Zdesktop logs actually are, so I can't read them and/or post them here. If you can tell me where they live, I'll happily look them out.

Anyway, just as a little proof, here is this email thread with some links in it as sent to me. You can see that the links are just plain text and not hyperlinks:

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

The url issue is a zimlet issue. Usually that means during installation zimlets injection somehow didn't succeed.

The performance issue is puzzling, especially if it was OK in the previous version. When it's slow, do you see CPU or disk IO spike? Does rebooting the system work?

Hi jjzhuang thanks for your reply.

Ok, I understand what you are saying about the zimlet injection option. Like with ZCS NE server can I manually unpackage/start the zimlet? I have reinstalled ZD a number of times (admittedly mainly for upgrades though).

Back to the slowness issue, the prism process is sometimes one of the top 10 processes, but not as often as to suspect it of munching CPU/RAM. Here's the line from top:

8716 alistair 20 0 219m 92m 22m S 1 9.1 67:09.75 prism

So that's 1% CPU, 9.1% RAM, 219m allocated total. Not exactly breaking the bank, but not brilliant either.

I should also point out that I also get the following error in a dialog on ZD most mornings when I unlock my display, I did this morning:

"A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http://localhost:7633/zimbra/js/ajax/dwt/widgets/DwtListView.js?v=081205141935:468"

I guess if you know what widget that is, then we might be half way to understanding where the slowness is coming from. This has only happened since the latest upgrade as I say.

Regards,

gnu2tux

So there's a backdoor to inject zimlets manually, but I don't encourage that unless it's the last resort. In your situation, you can go to Zimbra offers Open Source email server software and shared calendar for Linux and the Mac to download the installer again, and run it. It will just uninstall/reinstall your current version, and most likely fix the url zimlet issue in the process.

In terms of prism performance, it is definitely not cheapest app to run. But I would say it's on the par with ZCS UI in firefox.

For the haning issue, there's a known problem in 1418 that can hang the UI if you have mountpoints for sharing. This will be corrected in the next release.

Hi, I downloaded the installer again and reinstalled it fully (I'd already done that before, but I thought I'd do it again for good luck). Unfortunately it still doesn't resolve the URL/zimlet issue

Any ideas?

TIA

gnu2tux

does it say "fail to inject zimlets" during installation?

jacktom is offline Starter Member

Default A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop th

same problem here if you got the solution please help me

i also have some calender controls and combo box on my page...
    i am binding a tree dynamically and when i am selecting the tree root node Or any Node
    calling a java script and binding the corresponding data to date and combo box control

for 1 to around 100 records on the tree

its working well..
    but when there is 1000's of records on the tree and i am selecting Root node Or any sub tree having 2 - 3 record
    it is not able to excecute successfully and this error message it getting popup

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http://localhost:2438/mypro/ScriptRe...796250000:6299

when i click on continue button

again this error
    A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http://localhost:2438/mypro/ScriptRe...796250000:1316

then i click the stopScript

it is not giving me the result

Please help me to resolve this issue

Thanks in advance

jacktom is offline Starter Member

Default A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop th

same problem here if you got the solution please help me

i also have some calender controls and combo box on my page...
    i am binding a tree dynamically and when i am selecting the tree root node Or any Node
    calling a java script and binding the corresponding data to date and combo box control

for 1 to around 100 records on the tree

its working well..
    but when there is 1000's of records on the tree and i am selecting Root node Or any sub tree having 2 - 3 record
    it is not able to excecute successfully and this error message it getting popup

Script: http://localhost:2438/mypro/ScriptRe...796250000:6299

when i click on continue button

again this error

Script: http://localhost:2438/mypro/ScriptRe...796250000:1316

then i click the stopScript

it is not giving me the result

Please help me to resolve this issue

Thanks in advance

Thread Information