Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to Sync Mail with Attach > 1Meg

msmuth is offline Member

Default Unable to Sync Mail with Attach > 1Meg

I am unable to sync mail from Zimbra Desktop folder to the Yahoo folder that has attachments causing the mail size to be greater than 1 Meg. If I remove the mail > 1Meg, the sync works fine with all mail with a size < 1Meg. The zdesktop.log indicates that problem is timeout related with JAVA:
    Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

My JAVA version:
    Java Version 1.6.0_10
    Java Class Version 50.0

I have attached the relevant portion of the zdesktop.log.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by msmuth; 10-30-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Remove email address from attachment

dac
    dac is offline Zimbra Employee

It looks like the IMAP server is taking too long to response to the APPEND request (default timeout is 60 seconds). Is this over a slow or fast connection?

If you don't think the problem is connection related, could you please file a bug report with the stack trace and we will look into it?

In the meantime, as a workaround you can increase the default read timeout seconds by adding the following to the configuration file "<install>/conf/localconfig.xml":

<key name="javamail_imap_timeout">
    <value>300</value>
    </key>

This should increase the socket read timeout to 5 minutes.

Let me know if this does the trick.

Thanks,
    David

msmuth is offline Member

Default localconfig.xml - No javamail_imap_timeout key

I added the key "javamail_imap_timeout", saved the file, closed zimbra, reopened, same problem. I increased the value from 300 to 30000, saved the file, closed zimbra, reopened, same problem.
    My connection speed based on results at Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
    3304Kbs for download
    299Kbs for upload
    I timed the amount of time from when I start the sync by clicking "Send/Receive" until the error status is shown for the sync at is just slightly more than 1 minute.
    My test consist of:
    1. Creating an email on the Zimbra client and attaching a file 1Meg or larger.
    2. Save this email to Draft
    3. With the Draft folder set to sync, click Send/Receive
    4. After about 1 minute the sync has the error status
    I have the same results on an XP machine, Vista machine, and Linux machine.

I'm new to this whole zimbra thing, so give me some instructions on how to do the stack trace, or point me to a link with the info.
    Last edited by msmuth; 10-31-2008 at 07:50 PM.

dac
    dac is offline Zimbra Employee

Oops, I failed to mention that you will need to restart the Zimbra Desktop service in order for any changes to localconfig.xml to take affect. Could you try that and let me know if you still get the error?

Thanks,
    David

msmuth is offline Member

Ok, so the sync does not get the error status now, but the sync still does not complete and the drafts folder sync is turned off. I have attached the new output from zdesktop.log
    I have been seeing a lot of commands, from other post, that are meant to be run from the shell, but how would I execute these same commands from XP?
    I wonder if my file size is being restricted?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by msmuth; 11-01-2008 at 11:16 PM.

msmuth is offline Member

I did a few test to determine if the problem is related to my settings/local computer or the remote yahoo account.
    My assumption is that the failure of syncing is related to the file size of attachments.
    My failures have all happened with a yahoo.com account.

Test 1 with a new account, rocketmail.com
    created a 1meg dummy file, "dump 1 meg.txt" (1065 KB).
    In Zimbra Desktop, createda new mail and attached the dummy file, saved to draft, synced.
    Sync successful

Test 2 with the same rocketmail.com account
    created a 1272KB dummy file, "dump 1272kb.txt" (1322.9KB).
    In Zimbra Desktop, created a new mail and attached the dummy file, saved to draft, synced.
    Sync failed (No error status for account, green circle) and Draft folder sync turned off automatically

Test 3 with a gmail account
    created a 1272KB dummy file, "dump 1272kb.txt" (1322.9KB).
    In Zimbra Desktop, created a new mail and attached the dummy file , "dump 1272kb.txt" (1322.9KB), saved to draft, synced.
    Sync successful

So the difference between success and failure between Test 1 and Test 2 is an increase of 257KB in file attachment size.

All test done with the following entry in localconfig.xml:
    <key name="javamail_imap_timeout">
    <value>300</value>
    </key>

I have added attachments of the zdesktop.log for each of the test.
    I have also added an attachment of the initial zdesktop.log on startup of Zimbra because there is an error there as well that might help understand the later errors.

What is ZimbraDesktop or Yahoo doing differently when a message size is > 1 meg? Why does this change only cause problems with yahoo accounts and not gmail?
    The failure point happens somewhere between attachment sizes of 1075KB and 1085KB. 1075KB synced successfully from Zimbra to Yahoo. 1085KB failed to sync and sent the syncing folder into non-sync mode.
    Considering my upload speed of ~300Kbits per sec and the file size, this is right around the 30 second mark that things are failing. So, is there a file size limit around ~1080Kbytes? I don't think so, because gmail had no problem. So, this would lead me to believe some communication is not happening within 30 seconds? What has a limit around 30 seconds that over-rides the javamail_imap_timeout? The javamail_imap_timeout is set to 300 seconds. The amount of time that the sync continues is about 300 seconds, even though the sync fails.
    Last edited by msmuth; 11-02-2008 at 09:30 PM.

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

msmuth, could you file a bug with all this information? thanks!

msmuth is offline Member

jjzhuang,
    Sure, I will file a bug report, but this does not address my immediate problem of not being able to get my emails back onto the Yahoo server.
    Do you have some method that I can get the messages that were moved to a different folder with Zimbra back onto the Yahoo server, intact as originals?
    Are there some tweaks I can try with the settings? Can I try an older version of Zimbra Desktop to get my messages synced? Where can I get an older version?

Also, I am trying to use Bugzilla to file the bug report, but I don't see the version of Zimbra Desktop that I am using in the version list. So, I need some pointers on how to file the bug report correctly. I am using:
    Product name: Zimbra Desktop
    Product version: 0.91
    Build ID: 1344
    Release type: BETA
    Last edited by msmuth; 11-03-2008 at 08:28 PM.

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

With the bug we can further investigate and track progress, so that your issue is not lost in the noise. When opening a bug, choose ZCS and pick "Desktop Client" as the component. Thanks!

msmuth is offline Member

jjzhuang,

I have created a bug report:

Bug 32839 &ndash;

Do you have some method that I can get the messages that were moved to a different folder with Zimbra back onto the Yahoo server, intact as originals?
    Are there some tweaks I can try with the settings?
    Can I try an older version of Zimbra Desktop to get my messages synced?
    Where can I get an older version?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information