Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Zimbra as a Portal...

  1. #1
    duran.goodyear is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Zimbra as a Portal...

    Has there been any work in making Zimbra a SSO portal interface?

    I'm constantly evaluating the options that exist on the market, and zimbra for what it does out of the box is high on my list for one of the things I'm evaluating.

    A mission critical requirement where I work though is for providing SSO between different web applications. All of the web applications will be running off of the same LDAP provider, so that each user has the same username/password across all applications.

    The current Zimbra demo I've been playing with on the zimbra domain has "mail" "calendar" "address book" "documents" "options" along the top. Ignoring options, its obvious that each of those are independant appliccations with built in sharing functionality for the collaboration/communication elements of zimbra.

    What is involved in extending the tab-navigation metaphor along top with another tab for the (lets pull something out of my hat)"document management web-application" that would I guess create a new browser window that logs you in to that application transparently, carrying over your LDAP credentials from Zimbra.

    Additionally / conversely, is there another default home page for zimbra? or is it always "mail" ?

    Has anything like this been done?
    Thought about?

    Thanks!

    I'm about to go browse the zimlets that are available, and see whats going on over there

  2. #2
    JoshuaPrismon is offline Zimlet Guru & Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duran.goodyear View Post
    Has there been any work in making Zimbra a SSO portal interface?

    I'm constantly evaluating the options that exist on the market, and zimbra for what it does out of the box is high on my list for one of the things I'm evaluating.

    A mission critical requirement where I work though is for providing SSO between different web applications. All of the web applications will be running off of the same LDAP provider, so that each user has the same username/password across all applications.

    The current Zimbra demo I've been playing with on the zimbra domain has "mail" "calendar" "address book" "documents" "options" along the top. Ignoring options, its obvious that each of those are independant appliccations with built in sharing functionality for the collaboration/communication elements of zimbra.

    What is involved in extending the tab-navigation metaphor along top with another tab for the (lets pull something out of my hat)"document management web-application" that would I guess create a new browser window that logs you in to that application transparently, carrying over your LDAP credentials from Zimbra.

    Additionally / conversely, is there another default home page for zimbra? or is it always "mail" ?

    Has anything like this been done?
    Thought about?

    Thanks!

    I'm about to go browse the zimlets that are available, and see whats going on over there
    You can use a zimlet to pass the Zimbra authetication cookie (and then use the zClient library to verify that it's valid) to a outside application. I haven't actually added a tab to the tab bar, but it should be possible, if not a bit messy. You might be better off leaving it in the Zimlet toolbar instead, and just putting up a DWT window to do whatever you need to do in your application.

  3. #3
    duran.goodyear is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
    You can use a zimlet to pass the Zimbra authetication cookie (and then use the zClient library to verify that it's valid) to a outside application. I haven't actually added a tab to the tab bar, but it should be possible, if not a bit messy. You might be better off leaving it in the Zimlet toolbar instead, and just putting up a DWT window to do whatever you need to do in your application.
    I'm looking for screen shots... but where do zimlets show up in zimbra?
    how do you access them?

    thanks.

  4. #4
    JoshuaPrismon is offline Zimlet Guru & Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duran.goodyear View Post
    I'm looking for screen shots... but where do zimlets show up in zimbra?
    how do you access them?

    thanks.
    Typically in the left hand column. Usually they are accessible in every application (advantage over a tab).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 09:24 AM
  2. Zimbra shutdowns every n hours.
    By Andrewb in forum Administrators
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM
  3. Fedora Core 3, Clean Install - Not working!
    By pcjackson in forum Installation
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 07:38 PM
  4. Monitoring : Data not yet avalaible
    By s3nz3x in forum Installation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-30-2005, 07:18 PM
  5. FC3 Install and no zimbra ?
    By aws in forum Installation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-09-2005, 04:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •