Thread: taglibs in /service webapp

phazer is offline Junior Member

Default taglibs in /service webapp

Hi everyone,

I've been continuing to play around with creating zimlets and have gotten into creating one with a JSP to talk to some other services on our network.

Does anyone think it might be useful to include a few more useful taglibs in the /service webapp (as this is where the zimlet JSPs go) to be available to zimlet JSPs? Specifically, I'm thinking of JSTL (I was surprised this wasn't already included), and Jakarta IO taglib (which contains many very useful tags for talking to external services, including HTTP, SOAP, XML-RPC and FTP).

I understand that not every taglib that everyone might want should be included with Zimbra, but I believe at least having JSTL and IO available would greatly enhance what zimlet JSPs are able to do.

Possibly a future version of Zimbra could allow a list of jar files to be put in the zimlet definition xml file which would be copied from the zimlet's zip file to /service/WEB-INF/lib when the zimlet is deployed (and removed when undeployed). This could result in conflicting files from different zimlets of course, but at least it would be an option to allow zimlets to add their own taglibs and/or other libraries.

Any comments on this?

-Christian

JLee is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by phazer View Post
    Does anyone think it might be useful to include a few more useful taglibs in the /service webapp (as this is where the zimlet JSPs go) to be available to zimlet JSPs? Specifically, I'm thinking of JSTL (I was surprised this wasn't already included), and Jakarta IO taglib (which contains many very useful tags for talking to external services, including HTTP, SOAP, XML-RPC and FTP).
    You can always add your favorite taglibs to your install. Also check out the new zimbra tag lib in /zimbra webapp directory.

Possibly a future version of Zimbra could allow a list of jar files to be put in the zimlet definition xml file which would be copied from the zimlet's zip file to /service/WEB-INF/lib when the zimlet is deployed (and removed when undeployed).
    This should already work.

phazer is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JLee View Post
    You can always add your favorite taglibs to your install. Also check out the new zimbra tag lib in /zimbra webapp directory.
    I was worried they might get blown away on an upgrade. If they get preserved, that will work great.

This should already work.
    I didn't see anything in the zimlet whitepaper about this. At least, nothing that made it sound like it was going to copy a jar included in the zimlet to WEB-INF/lib. What am I missing?

Thanks for the reply!

Thread Information