Thread: Accessing account information with SOAP or Zimlet

phazer is offline Junior Member

Default Accessing account information with SOAP or Zimlet

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at Zimbra as a possible replacement for MS Exchange at my organization. I have to say, I love the SOAP interfaces and have already played with integrating some Zimbra functions into our existing staff portal. Really great architecture.

One thing has me puzzled though. I haven't been able to find a way to access information about the current user's account (as a regular user, not an admin user). Specifically, I would like to retrieve the information entered into the "Contact Information" tab when editing the account in zimbraAdmin.

Right now I'd like to do this from a Zimlet, but later would also like to access the data from an external app using SOAP (for example, the Department field could be useful on our portal page to display custom content to the user based on which department they are in. I already have preauth/single-signon working so that is not a problem).

I have searched the forums and documentation and have not be able to find anywhere that this information is accessible outside of zimbraAdmin. GetInfoRequest looked promising, but it doesn't return the account's contact information. In soap.txt under GetInfoResponse it says "Only attributes listed in zimbraAccountClientAttrs will be returned" ... I thought maybe I could modify that value to have it also return the contact info but I couldn't find any reference to zimbraAccountClientAttrs outside of that document. Not in the forums, not in the documentation, not even from a Google search.

So my question is... is this contact information accessible somehow? If so, how?

Thanks in advance,
    -Christian

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Default SearchGal

Does <SearchGalRequest> do what you want?

Alternatively, I think you can edit the conf/attrs/zimbra-attrs.xml file and add "accountInfo" to the "flags" on the LDAP attrs you want returned in GetInfo, then restart tomcat. Note that changes to this file will probably be overwritten during your next upgrade.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

phazer is offline Junior Member

Thanks, SearchGalRequest worked. I didn't try that as I didn't really think of doing a search, and there is hardly any documentation on that function on soap.txt. Maybe something more descriptive could be added in the future.

Speaking of that, if we do end up implementing Zimbra here, I will probably get involved in development. The first thing I would like to do is create some nice HTML browseable documentation for all the SOAP functions in a javadoc-like format

Thanks again for your response, you solved my problem.
    -Christian

Default Please do!

Quote Originally Posted by phazer View Post
    Speaking of that, if we do end up implementing Zimbra here, I will probably get involved in development. The first thing I would like to do is create some nice HTML browseable documentation for all the SOAP functions in a javadoc-like format
    Fantastic! Even better would be if you can generate both a soap.txt-like text file and nice browseable HTML from the same source file...

We're looking forward to your contributions!

bhavionline Guest

Quote Originally Posted by phazer View Post

I'm looking at Zimbra as a possible replacement for MS Exchange at my organization. I have to say, I love the SOAP interfaces and have already played with integrating some Zimbra functions into our existing staff portal. Really great architecture.

Hello,

I am pretty new to SOAP, i installed zimbra and liked it very much.
    Now as i want to integrate my application, i need access to the zimbra data, say i want access to each users address book. I wen throught the forums and found that i need to use the SOAP api and i also went throught the soap.txt files but did not understand much out of it.

I have a ready application in jsp where in i want to show a drop down of contacts email address from zimbra address book. Please give me steps how i can access the SOAP api from jsp.

A small code snippet would be of great help.

Thanks

Default zmailbox

If you're in Java, you should really consider using the zmailbox Java class. It encapsulates all the SOAP you'd need for accessing user mailboxes.

bhavionline Guest

Default zmailbox

Quote Originally Posted by dkarp View Post
    If you're in Java, you should really consider using the zmailbox Java class. It encapsulates all the SOAP you'd need for accessing user mailboxes.
    Where can i get this class and can i get the API docs for the same.

Thanks

Default Svn

It's in the standard ZimbraServer release. Source for it can be found in Subversion.

JoshuaPrismon is offline Zimlet Guru & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bhavionline View Post
    Where can i get this class and can i get the API docs for the same.

Thanks
    http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=ZClient
    Check here for some more information on how Zclient works and can be setup.

Thread Information