Thread: Build from sources on FreeBSD

biloute is offline Junior Member

Default Build from sources on FreeBSD

Hi Zimbra people,

I'm trying to build Zimbra from sources on FreeBSD 6.1. Linux binary compatibility and rpms are not really an option for me (and there is no reason for zimbra not beeing able to be built/installed on this os ).
    I followed intructions given in this post, and everything goes fine, up to the ant reset-the-world-stage1 step.
    Here is what I get :
    Code:
    # ant reset-the-world-stage1
    Buildfile: build.xml

clean:

clean:
       [delete] Deleting directory /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraCommon/build

clean:
       [delete] Deleting directory /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraIM/build
       [delete] Deleting directory /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build

build-init:
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/classes
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/generated/src/java
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/wiki
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/data
    Trying to override old definition of task deploy

make-dirs:
         [echo] Creating dirs under /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/dist
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/dist/conf
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/dist/openldap/etc/openldap/schema
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/dist/bin
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/dist/conf/msgs
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/dist/db
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/dist/lib/ext
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/dist/lib/jars
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/dist/libexec
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/dist/tomcat/common/endorsed
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/dist/tomcat/common/lib
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/dist/tomcat/conf
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/dist/tomcat/webapps
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/dist/wiki

compile:

build-init:
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraCommon/build/classes

compile:
        [javac] Compiling 71 source files to /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraCommon/build/classes
        [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
        [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
        [javac] Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
        [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.

jar:
          [jar] Building jar: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraCommon/build/zimbracommon.jar

build-init:
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraIM/build/classes

compile:
        [javac] Compiling 371 source files to /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraIM/build/classes

jar:
          [jar] Building jar: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraIM/build/zimbraim.jar
        [javac] Compiling 1052 source files to /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/classes

set-buildinfo-vars:
         [echo] Version: 4.5

generate-buildinfo:
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/buildinfo
        [javac] Compiling 1 source file to /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/classes

jar:
         [echo] Hostname: iono.niv2.com
          [jar] Building jar: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/zimbrastore.jar

set-buildinfo-vars:
         [echo] Version: 4.5

generate-ldap-config:
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/attrs
         [copy] Copying 2 files to /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/attrs
        [mkdir] Created dir: /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/ldap-config
         [java] [] WARN: local config file `/opt/zimbra/conf/localconfig.xml' is not readable
         [java] [] WARN: local config file `/opt/zimbra/conf/localconfig.xml' is not readable
         [copy] Copying 1 file to /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/ldap-config
         [copy] Copying 1 file to /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build/ldap-config

stop-webserver:

stop-tomcat-windows:

stop-tomcat-unix:

BUILD FAILED
    /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build.xml:1030: The following error occurred while executing this line:
    /usr/home/julien/installs/zimbra-install/ZimbraServer/build.xml:938: Execute failed: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: /opt/zimbra/bin/tomcat: not found

Total time: 31 seconds
    I'm not an expert at ant stuff, but as far as I can understand, it acts like make. It looks like something is messed up, as ant is looking for /opt/zimbra/bin/tomcat and /opt/zimbra/conf/localconfig.xml, but /opt/zimbra/bin and /opt/zimbra/conf does not even exist at this time, and even the ZimbraServer/build/dist/bin/ and conf/ directories are empty at this stage...

I'm using diablo-jdk1.5.0 (official port of Sun's jdk), and 3rd party software are build using --prefix=/opt/zimbra/.

Do you have any clues ?

Thanx

Julien

KevinH is offline Expert Member

You need to have tomcat installed in /opt/zimbra/tomcat and a start/stop script called /opt/zimbra/bin/tomcat for reset-the-world to complete
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Thanx Kevin. I got it working by removing the stop-tomcat dependency of the reset-the-world-stage1 target for the firt run, to get the /opt/zimbra/bin/ scripts installed.
    But now I'm facing a bit more weird issue with tomcat, wich I'm supposed to startup between the 2 stages.
    Tomcat complains about not beeing able to find zimbra-native, despite the fact that -Djava.library.path=/opt/zimbra/lib/jars/ is defined in the tomcat startup script (and zimbra*.jar are present in this directory).
    Here is what I get when I start tomcat manually (to make sure my problem is not script related, but I get the same result with /opt/zimbra/bin/tomcat) :
    Code:
    /usr/local/diablo-jdk1.5.0/bin/java 
    -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager 
    -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/var/opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.20/conf/logging.properties 
    -Djava.library.path=/var/opt/zimbra/lib/jars/ 
    -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/var/opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.20/common/endorsed -classpath :/var/opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.20/bin/bootstrap.jar:/var/opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.20/bin/commons-logging-api.jar 
    -Dcatalina.base=/var/opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.20 
    -Dcatalina.home=/var/opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.20 
    -Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.20/temp 
    org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

Feb 24, 2007 11:59:47 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol init
    INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-7070
    INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-7443
    INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-7071
    Feb 24, 2007 11:59:47 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
    INFO: Initialization processed in 1397 ms
    Feb 24, 2007 11:59:47 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
    INFO: Starting service Catalina
    Feb 24, 2007 11:59:47 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
    INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.20
    Feb 24, 2007 11:59:48 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost start
    INFO: XML validation disabled
    Feb 24, 2007 11:59:48 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
    INFO: Deploying web application archive service.war
    log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.sax).
    log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
    Zimbra server reserving server socket port=7110 bindaddr=null ssl=false
    Zimbra server reserving server socket port=7995 bindaddr=null ssl=true
    Zimbra server reserving server socket port=7143 bindaddr=null ssl=false
    Zimbra server reserving server socket port=7993 bindaddr=null ssl=true
    Fatal error: terminating: Failed to loadLibrary(zimbra-native)
    java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no zimbra-native in java.library.path
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1682)
            at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:822)
            at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:992)
            at com.zimbra.znative.Util.loadLibrary(Util.java:54)
            at com.zimbra.znative.Util.<clinit>(Util.java:71)
            at com.zimbra.znative.Process.geteuid(Process.java:41)
            at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.PrivilegedServlet.init(PrivilegedServlet.java:138)
            at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:211)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1105)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:932)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:3951)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4225)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:759)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:809)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs(HostConfig.java:698)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:472)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1122)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:310)
            at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1021)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1013)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:709)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:551)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:294)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:432)
    (pls note that on my system, /opt is a symlink to /var/opt, and /opt/zimbra/tomcat symlinks to /opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.20)

I'm a bit puzzled here... do you have any idea ?

Thanx

Julien

SuperMario is offline Zimbra Employee

While I'm not 100% sure about this solution, this could be an issue of putting things in the PATH variable versus putting them in the CLASSPATH variable. I've run into this problem before with ant, but I can't remember how I fixed it. I wanted to go ahead and post what I thought it was, and I'll try to post again if I remember what I think I did to fix this.

Hi monvural,

Thanx for you hint, it bring me in the right direction Just in case it would be useful to someone, I had to add /opt/zimbra/lib/jars/zimbracommon.jar to the classpath in my tomcat startup script to make it working.
    The weird thing is that the zimbra tomcat startup script and tomcat's error message let you suppose it has to be present in java.library.path, not in classpath. Maybe some platform specific issue here ?

Julien

One more problem with tomcat starting up... this time I get strange IllegalAccessError :
    Code:
    Feb 27, 2007 3:52:06 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol init
    INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-7070
    INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-7443
    INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-7071
    Feb 27, 2007 3:52:06 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
    INFO: Initialization processed in 1384 ms
    Feb 27, 2007 3:52:06 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
    INFO: Starting service Catalina
    Feb 27, 2007 3:52:06 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
    INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.20
    Feb 27, 2007 3:52:07 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost start
    INFO: XML validation disabled
    Feb 27, 2007 3:52:07 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
    INFO: Deploying web application archive service.war
    Feb 27, 2007 3:52:08 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
    SEVERE: Error deploying web application archive service.war
    org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: java.lang.IllegalAccessError: tried to access class org.apache.log4j.RollingCalendar from class org.apache.log4j.ZimbraStatsAppender (Caused by java.lang.IllegalAccessError: tried to access class org.apache.log4j.RollingCalendar from class org.apache.log4j.ZimbraStatsAppender)
            at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:538)
            at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:235)
            at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:370)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.getLogger(ContainerBase.java:380)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4114)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:759)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:809)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs(HostConfig.java:698)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:472)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1122)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:310)
            at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1021)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1013)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:709)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:551)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:294)
            at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:432)
    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalAccessError: tried to access class org.apache.log4j.RollingCalendar from class org.apache.log4j.ZimbraStatsAppender
            at org.apache.log4j.ZimbraStatsAppender.<init>(ZimbraStatsAppender.java:81)
            at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
            at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
            at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:494)
            at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:350)
            at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
            at org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.instantiateByClassName(OptionConverter.java:319)
            at org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.instantiateByKey(OptionConverter.java:112)
            at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseAppender(PropertyConfigurator.java:620)
            at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:603)
            at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCatsAndRenderers(PropertyConfigurator.java:524)
            at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:408)
            at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:432)
            at org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.selectAndConfigure(OptionConverter.java:460)
            at org.apache.log4j.LogManager.<clinit>(LogManager.java:113)
            at org.apache.log4j.Logger.getLogger(Logger.java:85)
            at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger.<init>(Log4JLogger.java:102)
            at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
            at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
            at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:494)
            at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:529)
            ... 26 more
    Feb 27, 2007 3:52:08 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol start
    INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-7070
    INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-7443
    INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-7071
    Feb 27, 2007 3:52:08 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
    INFO: Server startup in 1913 ms
    The more I try solving problem, the more I get even more serious ones

If you have any idea...

Thanx

vshah is offline Loyal Member

Are you starting from the patched version the dwhite had posted a link to in the forums?

Quote Originally Posted by vshah View Post
    Are you starting from the patched version the dwhite had posted a link to in the forums?
    Wow, I'm wondering how I missed this patchset
    I'll give it a try tomorow, thanx for your pointer.
    To answer you : no, I'm building from fresh subversion checkout and latest version of 3rd party software.

Thanx,
    Julien

Thread Information