Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Problems getting hold of the Source Code

metux is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdybik View Post
    I'm literally right now filling out some cost justification paperwork to purchase the new storage trays that were not accounted for to host the repositories in our own Zimbra datacenter.
    Aehm, how much storage do you need for that git repo ?

My local clone is about 2.7 GB - this can be perfectly well served by an
    cheap vserver or an old notebook laying around somewhere in a corner ;-o

We're talking just about the git repo here, not whatever else internal infrastructure you might have.

Quote Originally Posted by jdybik View Post
    Very familiar with the mirror. We talked to the guys at GitHub. With all the historical branches we need to maintain, they said they could not do it. So not sure that I'm wrong
    Which historical branches exactly ?

Just checked a few hours ago, and I only see exactly one branch "ironmaiden-foss".
    And not even a single release tag! How do you expect people to find the right commit
    for specific versions ?

By the way:

When I pulled yesterday, I noticed the history totally changed against my last pull
    from about three weeks ago - the branches diverged on about 3100 (!) commits,
    and even the trees at the corresponding timestamps differ. Such things aren't
    actually helpful for external contributors.

And who had the silly idea of letting some nightly build cronjob commit its internal
    state to the mainline ? (eg. 9e251883b2c3d1c258402cdb069a64a24181d554)

If you need consulting on proper source code management processes, just call
    me - my offer from about two years ago is still open ;-P

Oh, and you are aware that the current tree (at least whats in the public git repo)
    is totally broken and doesnt build at all ?

----

Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    Hi ploeger,
    That's not how git fusion works on top of Perforce. There is one git repo per Zimbra release, as well as one git repo per development branch (HELIX, IRONMAIDEN, etc). I.e., the git behavior has to map to the perforce layout.
    Yes, p4-fusion maps directories (which they accidentially call "branch") to git repos. Well, there's kind of logic
    in it, but it doesnt actually make life easier.

But the really important point are tags. P4 doesnt tag definitive commits, but groups of individual file revisions.
    (something that you absolutely do NOT want). Properly mapping them to git isn't actually a trivial thing.
    Could that be the reason why we dont see a single tag in the git repo (which is _really_ bad!) ?

----

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Bult View Post
    Seriously, is anyone else likely to want to check out anything other than the latest version ???
    Yes, we are !

We need the _exact_ source trees for all releases down to 7.2, as we need to maintain lots of large
    scale installations in these versions.

----

The way git fusion works, there's actually not git repository on the Perforce side, so GitList isn't possible.
    OMGs!
    That's really trivial. Just set up an mirror (shouldn't take more than a few minutes) and run GitList
    (or whatever fancy frontend you prefer) on it.

By the way: what's the reason for still staying on this conceptionally-80th SCM at all ?

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by metux View Post
    Aehm, how much storage do you need for that git repo ?

Which historical branches exactly ?

Just checked a few hours ago, and I only see exactly one branch "ironmaiden-foss".
    And not even a single release tag! How do you expect people to find the right commit
    for specific versions ?

Not sure what you are doing, as every release repository is available from the git server at this time. You simply need to follow the instructions on the wiki to retrieve them.

https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Building_Zimbra_using_Git

--Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Also, as to your statement that it's currently not possible to build Zimbra from git, that's inaccurate as well. There's already a thread on the developers forum about how to build Zimbra from the git repo:

How to build 8.0.6 and Ironmaiden (8.0.7) in Ubuntu 12.04
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Also, as to your statement that it's currently not possible to build Zimbra from git, that's inaccurate as well. There's already a thread on the developers forum about how to build Zimbra from the git repo:

How to build 8.0.6 and Ironmaiden (8.0.7) in Ubuntu 12.04
    No, that doesnt work.

It begins with a bug in ./ZimbraBuild/buildZCS.sh: it can't find the jdk tarball, even if placed correctly.
    Small but nasty typo. That alone should be enough for a q.e.d.

Next problem: it can't find system java, wrong hardcoded path. No proper checks for the right java
    version at the right place at the build startup, just breaks after running quite some time
    (by the way: what is that tar call actually for, which eats up a lot of time ?)

As Zimbra already bundles its own jdk instance (and requires the upstream tarball to be placed into
    the source tree), why doesnt it use that one for building ?

And the next problem:

It expects junit-4.8.2.jar in ./ZimbraCommon/jars/ - but there isn't anything like that.

Yet another problem:

It expects ./ThirdPartyBuilds/UBUNTU12_64/openldap/openldap-2.4.38.2z.tgz.
    But there's no such file, and no indication that this openldap version exists at all.

Library lookups (ncurses, pcre, etc) is totally broken: these hardcoded pathes are simply
    wrong assumptions. The correct way is calling pkg-config for that.

Yet another problem: requires native junixsocket libraries, but doesnt build it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by metux View Post
    Yet another problem: requires native junixsocket libraries, but doesnt build it at all.
    Hi,

Can you please file a bug on these issues (and please note the release version you are trying to build in it) in Bugzilla ZCS -> Install & Upgrade

A number of the missing pieces are due a legal position that has since changed, so we can now distribute more of the requisite jars and libraries. I will also spend some time when I can get a chance working on building it out on Ubuntu12 at least.

Thanks,
    Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information