Thread: overriding javascript functions

ppragides is offline Junior Member

Default overriding javascript functions

Hi all,

I have a question regarding overriding javascript functions. I know that generally we'll be doing the overriding via zimlets, but since they get loaded in last, a function that I'm overriding isn't going into effect until after some of the page is already rendered. Essentially, I'm trying to override the ZmMailMsgListView.prototype._getAbridgedContent function in order to to some tweaking to the way the mail list is displayed (i.e. mover the sender's name above the email subject, etc).

I really don't want to make changes to core code and any help would be appreciated.

p.s. we're on version 7.1.4

Thanks,

P

ychaouche is offline Senior Member

I was once inspecting the internals of the view in firebug and played with some functions interactively, one of them cleared out the whole central view. I don't know if it's a good idea or not but I'd suggest overriding the javascript functions in your zimlets, then call that function (that clears the central view) and rebuild it (there should be a function for that too).

If you have a decent developer environement you could look for functions named "*clear*" in the appropriate source code files. It's a shame that the source code of zimbra is written in a way that ctags and etags can't parse. So for example this
    Code:
    AjxSoapDocument.prototype.createDoc = 
    function(arg1,arg2,){
    [...]
    };
    Can not be parsed as a function definition because no regular expression can match this as a function definition (ctags and etags process code line by line).

ppragides is offline Junior Member

Hi and thanks for your response. I did look into that route (i.e. overriding the function via a zimlet, clearing out the current content, and rebuilding it). We didn't like that the user "sees" what happens - the mail list loads, gets cleared, and then reloaded. I ended up creating a callback method to when the mailcore package has completed loading via the AjxDispatcher.addPackageLoadFunction and overrode the function that way.

ychaouche is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you made it. Can you tell us a little more where did you operated your modifications ? is it in your zimlet or in the Zimbra javascript source code ?

Thread Information