Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do I start?

dlochart is offline Advanced Member

Default Where do I start?

First of all I have been playing with Zimbra for 2 days and I love what I see. I think Zimbra is the way we need to go for us and our clients. There is some functionality we wish to add. I have read up on zimlets but I do not think all of what we need to do can be done with a zimlet. For that I have these questions.

1) We currently plan to use/deploy the network version however I see that only the Open Source version is available via SVN. If what I want to change is in the network version am I screwed? If I find I need to extend some code how can I do that to affect the network version?

2) Initially what I need to do is implement a mail attachment policy. Currently attachments are either allowed or the whole message is bounced if the attachments are not allowed. I want to be able to have a policy that strips attachments (saves them off somewhere else) and replaces it with a message or do something else. I have this feeling that a zimlet won't do (well I may be wrong). I would need to apply this policy either when the attachments are selected or when the message is already in route to the MTA for delivery.

So can someone point me in the right direction.

Will I be making a zimlet for this or modifying base code?

Besides staring at the code for hours and hours is there a better way to find out where this type of logic would take place to narrow my focus.

thanks in advance

Doug

KevinH is offline Expert Member

1) 99% of the code in in SVN only items like the connectors and extensions are not included. So patches/changes to the SVN tree can almost always be applied to the Network code. If you find that doesn't work for you send us an email (sales@ or support@) and we can talk about specific options

2) This should happen at the MTA layer. So need to add a content policy in postfix. Try searching on policyd as a start.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Alternative solution

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    2) This should happen at the MTA layer. So need to add a content policy in postfix. Try searching on policyd as a start.
    Doing something with postfix is probably the best solution. If that's not workable for some reason, you may also be able to do this by creating an extension that registers a new MimeVisitor subclass as a message mutator.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Thanks for the direction. Is there a WIKI or other posting that covers making an extension as you propose. Is this extension A Zimlet or are there other (documented or not) ways in which to extend Zimbra.

Thanks again and if you are celebrating today have a very Happy and safe Thanksgiving

anand is offline Zimbra Employee

Not trying to sound dense but the bugzilla link above was not extremely clear to me. Am I to glean from this that a bug was posted concerning the lack of documentation for extending the system? If so was the outcome to be status quo or will there be more docs?

thanks

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

There's a link in the bug report that points you to a server-side extension documentation page.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I see it now. When I read "... documented elsewhere." I did not bother looking at the link as it led me think it was mired deep in some developers offline storage or something.

thanks

uxbod is offline Moderator

Take a look at MailScanner http://www.mailscanner.info

It integrates fine with Postfix and will do what you need. All you will need to do is change the main.cf so that all emails go into a hold queue, MailScanner will then process these and pass them back into the inbound queue so that Zimbra can process them.

As suggested earlier, also look at Policyd as you can start to Greylist based on whether the connection is a dialup/adsl user as that will help to reduce spam.

Some links for you :-

PolicyD
    Restricted Greylisting
    Image SPAM blocking via Spamassassin

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Take a look at MailScanner http://www.mailscanner.info
    I am looking at it but documentation is bleak. I am not a network engineer or sys admin and it seems to talk directly to that audience so I am lacking in alot of the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    It integrates fine with Postfix and will do what you need. All you will need to do is change the main.cf so that all emails go into a hold queue, MailScanner will then process these and pass them back into the inbound queue so that Zimbra can process them.
    This sounds great but how? I looked in the main.cf and I am now combing the postfix site and the only thing I can see is changing the content_filter line which now is set to amavisd-new. I know I do not want to change that setting.

I don't see anything on a holding queue and I am not sure how queues are implemented anyway. How do I make postfix send the mail to a holding queue? I know this is probably not the correct forum for this.

I enjoy learning new things but it pisses me off that I get these tasks that I have little background in that have to be done in 2 weeks. Sorry for the rant GRRRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information