Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FreeBSD Patchset for Zimbra released!

dwhite is offline Starter Member

Default FreeBSD Patchset for Zimbra released!

Hello everyone,

I'm proud to announce the first release of the FreeBSD Patchset for Zimbra. This patchset will allow you to compile and install Zimbra on a FreeBSD/i386 6.1-RELEASE or later host.

Work to port Zimbra to FreeBSD is sponsored by iXsystems (http://www.ixsystems.com).

Please read the instructions CAREFULLY before attempting the build!

The instructions can be read here:

http://pcbsd.org/~dwhite/zimbra/

The patch tarball can be downloaded here:

http://pcbsd.org/~dwhite/zimbra/zimb...0061116.tar.gz

(NOTE: This project is NOT affiliated with PC-BSD.)

While the build and install steps have been extensively tested, there are still sharp corners. Please read the instructions and follow them EXACTLY!

These patches are distributed under the terms of the BSD license (2 clause version).

Before You Ask:

1) Can you supply prebuilt packages?
    No. I'm not willing to sort out the licensing issues that distributing a binary build entails. If you have a moderately clean machine and can get the dependencies sorted out then the build should succeed, emitting binary packages that can be installed on another host.

2) Can I build and install Zimbra on the same host?
    No. Zimbra must be built and installed on separate hosts because the build pollutes the Zimbra install directory. You can use a jail for the build step if you don't have a separate computer handy.

3) Can I install Zimbra into a jail?
    Yes, but not currently recommended. Because of the peculiarities of jails the MySQL privilege tables end up allowing unsecured access to the database. I put some notes in the README about jail installs, however that setup has not been extensively tested and may have unresolved issues.

4) Can I install Zimbra on an amd64 host?
    No, FreeBSD/amd64 is not supported in this patch.

If you have an issue or question not resolved here or in the README, please contact me at dwhite@ixsystems.com and I'll try to help as best I can.

Enjoy!

vshah is offline Loyal Member

Default Awesome

This is great. I've been hoping for a FreeBSD port of Zimbra for a while now. I'll take a look and see if I can install Zimbra using the patches
    Thanks

trac is offline Starter Member

Default Yay for iXsystems! and FreeBSD!!!

I think that iXsystems is doing a great job of supporting FreeBSD users with the aquistion of PC-BSD and supporting Freebsd thanks for the patchset!

resuccess is offline New Member

Default BSD Patch

Thank you for the information. I appreciate your taking the time to keep us layman informed.

Thank you again!

http://www.thebusinesssuccessgroup.com

FloydWilliams is offline Member

Default postfix failing?

Im having problems with the build. Its failing on postfix for me. Ive linked to my thread in regards to this. If anyone could help me out Id be grateful.

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...2431#post32431

jpolt is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwhite View Post

Before You Ask:

1) Can you supply prebuilt packages?
    No. I'm not willing to sort out the licensing issues that distributing a binary build entails. If you have a moderately clean machine and can get the dependencies sorted out then the build should succeed, emitting binary packages that can be installed on another host.

Enjoy!

Does this mean that we are unlikely to be able to grab a copy of Zimbra from FreeBSD ports?

vshah is offline Loyal Member

Seems unlikely at this point, unfortunately. The port that dwhite did was specific to a particular version of Zimbra and in addition, I'm sure it would take a lot more work to make it into a port. :-(

FloydWilliams is offline Member

Default oh yeah i got it all working

There were two problems I came across. I needed to copy the Postfix tarball into a directory so it could unzip and the mysql src directory didnt exist and as such my tarball got renamed to src. If anyone has the ability to update the configuration notes it might be worth putting those in.

jlim0930 is offline Starter Member

Default Thanks - looking for directions

First of all i just wanted to say thanks for making the patch to freebsd.

I did have some more issues than what was posted above :

for some reason there was a typo in my patched set of Makefile in the mysql directory had to edit that....

Also needed to install perl Net::LDAP on the installed system to get zimbra to work.

now to the problem at hand.

I am able to start zimbra and verify that all of the services are running by issueing zmcontrol status it does show that all services are up and running.

however whenever i try to connect to amavisd via port 10024 it disconnects right away thus creating a problem with sending receiving emails

my env is setup that zimbra runs in jail i have tried to connect via localhost 127.0.0.1 hostname fqdn and it all reacts the same.

I edited /opt/zimbra/conf/amavisd.conf.in to include

@mynetworks = qw( 127.0.0.0/8 [::1] [FE80::]/10 [FEC0::]/10 );

and that did not help either..

I did notice that in amavisd.conf the values for $mydomain was empty.. is it suppost to be empty ?

Also per instructions i can not connect to the mysql database to change the references from localhost/127.0.0.1 to the jails ip address

also I see that the logger is running but in the admin interface it states that the logger is not installed/running i dont know if the rrd graphs are tied into the logger process but those are comming up as X's (no image)

other than that i am able to connect via the web and to the admin pages without any problems also due to the issue with amavisd i am unable to recieve or send emails.
    Last edited by jlim0930; 01-07-2007 at 09:08 AM. Reason: forgot one thing

nfear24 is offline Special Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by FloydWilliams View Post
    Im having problems with the build. Its failing on postfix for me. Ive linked to my thread in regards to this. If anyone could help me out Id be grateful.

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...2431#post32431
    We were also playing around with freebsd and testing out getting zimbra installed on it. Ours is also failing with the build in postfix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information