Thread: "Native" Evolution support?

denisb is offline Active Member

Default "Native" Evolution support?

http://shellter.sourceforge.net/evolution/

Would it be possible to get some sort of proper Evolution support with Zimbra? As of now it is not possible to use Evolution for equal functionality to Outlook as far as I know? Evolution on it's side has an Exchange connector enabling access to Exchange backends on the level of Outlook and Zimbra has a connector enabling Outlook access to Zimbra..

Wouldn't it be great if one could use an open source full featured PIM/Mail client with Zimbra?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You can certainly connect evolution to Zimbra, what specifically isn't working that you think should be? Could you file any product enhancement requests in bugzilla, they'll get tracked by the zimbra team there - don't forget to vote for the enhancement if you file it.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

unfortunately (for you, fortunately for the rest of us) I believe the outlook support for zimbra is on the client side not the server side so the evolution connector won't work in that case!! you can connect email through imap of course, and access the GAL through ldap although that has limited use. you won't be able to get your personal contacts, and you'll be able to connect to the calendar one-way through webdav, but not two-way. search on this forum for 'caldav', iirc evolution has good support for it. please vote on the bugzilla for zimbra caldav support! it's a shame because on corporate pc networks (as is the vast majority), you can't get calendar support outside of outlook which many houses refuse to use as policy.

the personal contacts thing is a major problem for enterprise deployment outside of outlook, in my opinion, and has stopped my little office installation from deploying the main zimbra features - currently all they see is just a bog standard email server.

You can certainly connect evolution to Zimbra, what specifically isn't working that you think should be? Could you file any product enhancement requests in bugzilla, they'll get tracked by the zimbra team there - don't forget to vote for the enhancement if you file it.
    that's not what he's asking.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

It's on the roadmap but no firm date as to when we'll have something ready for beta.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

theOlster is offline New Member

I know this thread was started a while ago, but I wonder if there has been an update. I want to use Evolution/Thunderbird to connect to the Zimbra backend (is this the LDAP) and not have to use pop/imap. I want to be able to access, emails, contacts & calendar...

Is this possible, or should I be looking at something like open-xchange?

Andy from Zimbra is offline Zimbra Employee

The short answer is "yes", you can use Evolution for Zimbra email/calendar/contacts -- we just announced the beta availability of our Evolution connector here, https://www.zimbra.com/forums/showth...0742#post40742

Please note, this is a source code only release. Users will have to download the source from Zimbra's subversion repository and build it themselves.

Also, because this is a beta release, please consider it a testing tool for now, as we're not officially supporting it yet.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Rubble is offline Intermediate Member

Default Awesome!

Great to see there is a native solution for linux.

I don't suppose Kontact support is on the roadmap at all? I searched
    forums and bugzilla but didn't see any interest.

Centurion is offline Active Member

I use Kontact on my workstation in the office and would love to have proper calendar support and access to my personal address book on the Zimbra server. Additionally, it would be very useful to have access to shared calendars (other users' calendars that is) from Kontact too.

fajarpri is offline Loyal Member

Yes, I use Kontact too, and am waiting for the release date
    Bravo Zimbra.
    I've voted for you in CCA.

Thread Information