Thread: Can we easy add up-to-date third party software in ?

lawes is offline Starter Member

Default Can we easy add up-to-date third party software in ?

Dear,

First of all, thanks for great job of Zimbra, I have found too much before but Zimbra seems to be the one most people looking for. Not only the rich feature in the design, but also can integrated with oulook for operation.

Yup, actually I am finding a rich feature of webmail system, and in fact I have a backend system like postfix , clamav, spamassassin, amavisd-new and mysql. I know Zimbra has its own architecture and most of the software has already integrated in.

My question is, if, I would like to upgrade the postfix package from version 2.2.5 to 2.2.10, do we have a simply way or a install script (may be recompile a tar file ?? ) in order to compile it into Zimbra ?

And, if I edit main.cf manually, can the MTA work itself or it just depend on Zimbra how to read from main.cf ??

Thanks for help.

Regards,
    Lawes

KevinH is offline Expert Member

I'm pretty sure we are at Postfix 2.2.9 in the current release. In general it's not a good idea to try and upgrade a component. It will be an untested configuration that may break. Even worse it may prevent you from upgrading.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

lawes is offline Starter Member

Hi,

yup, but what I concern is the bug of other component.

each release of new version should have a bug fix, if zimbra works with those software, then it may be an issue.

Therefore, if we can easy add-in an update and do a test by community, may be not a bad idea.

Thanks very much.

Regards,
    Lawes
    Last edited by lawes; 06-07-2006 at 10:13 PM.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Well you *can* upgrade your version, you just risk breaking something. So it's not that you can't do it we just don't recommend or support that option.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

jjjacket is offline Starter Member

Hi

Topic introduced by Lawes has some importance also for me.

The last version of open source Zimbra seems based on
    Amavis-d new 2.3.3
    Clamav 0.88
    Dspam 3.6.2
    Spamassassin (?)

Now, only for example: Amavis-d is today at 2.4.1 (stable), Clamav at 0.88.2 and Dspam at 3.6.7 (or 3.6.8 just yesterday!).

I know that it needs a considerable effort, but we would appreciate very much that in patch release of Zimbra (in past few months nearly monthly) you take care also of the component version, particularly with an upgrading of security components. Alternatively, you could write some "how to" to guide administrators in self upgrade activities of Zimbra components, without take responsibility for it...
    Otherwise the great beauty of Zimbra as a complete product for collaboration is in some way degraded by its "monolithic" aspect...

Thanks and best regards
    JJJ

Thread Information