Thread: Just thinking...

haimson is offline Starter Member

Default Just thinking...

For the last year, i was searching an testing different messaging/communications servers, looking for the perfect one. And i think i found it. Zimbra is still young, but i know that it has potential, and it is here to stay. I just have a few questions (im new here, so forgive me if i ask stupid questions)

But why is there no Todo List, and Notes section like in Outlook. I think that is a great feature to have, and to share with coworkers.
    Also, do you plan on having file storage. I think that would be excellent, to store a bunch of differnt files, and share them with co-workers.

Im really anxious to see when Zimbra implements a IM server, and the Astreik Zimlet is ready.

And another idea i have is have a blog for each user, that is ideal in this new world of enterprise comminications.

Also, why not have a built in Feed reader. To be constantly updated on important information.

I think Astreik should be deeply intergrated into zimbra.

I really love that zimbra is open, and is trying to be agnostic to the client/server platform and applications. And i agree with the having zimlets extend the app, but i was wondering, where can i find zimlets. I was hoping for a "zimlet center". Think about it, like Salesforce.com has the AppExchange, which is basically like a web OS, that other companies can make apps for. I think that their should be a "iTunes Music Store" of Zimlets. So people can add the funcionality that they need.

I really hope you have these ideas on your mind for the future, because i really think that it will propel Zimbra to new heights, and really give Microsoft and others a run for their money, by being

More Affordable
    More Portable
    More Open

Zimbra can compare to Microsofts following products

Exchange Server
    Live Communications Server
    Sharepoint Server

They can also beat Microsoft to shipping a Enterprise class Voip server solutions.

(Also Blackberry support, pleez!)
    Last edited by haimson; 06-02-2006 at 10:13 PM.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Hi Haimson,
    Welcome to the Forums!
    I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're glad that you have taken an intrest with the development of ZCS.

I'm sure one of the Zimbra Employees will respond, but let me start by pointing you to this post:
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...8730#post18730

A lot of what your are looking for will be in a upcoming dev build, so stay tuned for that.

The great thing about ZCS is that it is open. When things are open to a community, the members of the community can shape the direction of the product.

I know several people who work for MS. In particular, one who works for the MSN division. He mentioned to me the other day that one thing he didn't like was how closed MS's products are, and that they really only seek input form their vendors and not their users.

I hope that you will contribute and vote for the features you want to see in the bugzilla
    http://bugzilla.zimbra.com

Thanks,
    john
    Quote Originally Posted by haimson
    For the last year, i was searching an testing different messaging/communications servers, looking for the perfect one. And i think i found it. Zimbra is still young, but i know that it has potential, and it is here to stay. I just have a few questions (im new here, so forgive me if i ask stupid questions)

But why is there no Todo List, and Notes section like in Outlook. I think that is a great feature to have, and to share with coworkers.
    Also, do you plan on having file storage. I think that would be excellent, to store a bunch of differnt files, and share them with co-workers.

Im really anxious to see when Zimbra implements a IM server, and the Astreik Zimlet is ready.

And another idea i have is have a blog for each user, that is ideal in this new world of enterprise comminications.

Also, why not have a built in Feed reader. To be constantly updated on important information.

I think Astreik should be deeply intergrated into zimbra.

I really love that zimbra is open, and is trying to be agnostic to the client/server platform and applications. And i agree with the having zimlets extend the app, but i was wondering, where can i find zimlets. I was hoping for a "zimlet center". Think about it, like Salesforce.com has the AppExchange, which is basically like a web OS, that other companies can make apps for. I think that their should be a "iTunes Music Store" of Zimlets. So people can add the funcionality that they need.

I really hope you have these ideas on your mind for the future, because i really think that it will propel Zimbra to new heights, and really give Microsoft and others a run for their money, by being

More Affordable
    More Portable
    More Open

Zimbra can compare to Microsofts following products

Exchange Server
    Live Communications Server
    Sharepoint Server

They can also beat Microsoft to shipping a Enterprise class Voip server solutions.

(Also Blackberry support, pleez!)

Thread Information