Thread: Basic Project Management capability

mykro is offline Starter Member

Default Basic Project Management capability

Hi,

I'm looking at an implementation for a non-profit organisation, which needs to keep a file of date-stamped notes on a number of clients and suppliers, and I'd like to be able to integrate this into the Zimbra system.

There's two ways I can see this being done: as an extension to Contacts, and as a new Projects module.

The Contacts approach would involve :

1. Extend Contacts to incorporate a Notes page with :

- a unique identifying label eg. "c_smithr"
    - Custom field : Type = Client|Supplier
    - Custom field : Status = Open|Closed|Pending
    - A list of timestamped notes (with Add,Edit,Delete options)
    - File Attachments or links to intranet
    - Mention of other Contacts in notes hyperlinked

2. Incoming Emails are parsed, and if coming from a known Contact (eg. rsmith@thing.com) they are automatically given the label of that Case File (eg. cf:smithr).

3. When viewing emails, smart heuristics scan email body for mention of any Contacts or Contact details (eg. "R.Smith" or "Robert S.") and apply the appropriate label (eg. cf:smithr) and a direct hyperlink to that contact. User can change, delete or add further Case File labels to each email.

4. Other small additions using intelligent hyperlinks so that it is easy to move between Emails, Contacts and Contact Notes.

The Projects approach would involve a whole new module which could provide a similar type of behaviour and integration (ie. Project Notes, Project deadlines, Project participants).

Are there any existing plans or any interest in doing something like this?

Thanks,
    Daniel

KevinH is offline Expert Member

To be honest it may be easier to just write a very simple PHP/RoR/ASP + DB app and then use the Zimlets to integrate it. Trying to get all this functionality into Zimbra will require code changes and make your upgrades more painful. We plan to add tasks/notes in the future to maybe then you could try to extend but trying to add it now would likely cause conflicts.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

JoshuaPrismon is offline Zimlet Guru & Moderator

I will be releasing a zimlet that I have been working on for project management and time management some time next week (assuming my real life job calms down a bit). It was my submisison for the contest, but is now much much cooler . I don't exactly have this functionality (I have a way to add notes to existing contracts, and track time) but implementing this shouldn't be too hard.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Very cool. What's the back end for this functionality?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Very cool. What's the back end for this functionality?
    Right now it's ruby on rails. You can see where I have started to document this project on the wiki:

http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=User:JoshPrismon

In particular details about the model are at:
    http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...bout_the_Model

And details on the javascript integration is here:
    http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...t_up_to_Zimbra

I submitted a zimlet for the contest that worked off of this, unfortunitly it was really primitive and I wish I had another month or so to work on it. This is also something that if there is a decent amount of interest in, I could be convienced to port to java. I know java for my day job, Ruby on Rails was picked because it is fast and a new technology.

BTW, I am still working on this, but have gotten side tracked last week and next on having to move my zimbra server to a new colo.

Alexey is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by lostknight
    BTW, I am still working on this, but have gotten side tracked last week and next on having to move my zimbra server to a new colo.

Just wanted to ask you to inform me if you are meeting SUCCESS in your Projecy Management tool... We desperately need it to be implemented ASAP...

Thank you,
    willingly to assist,
    Regards
    Alexey

Quote Originally Posted by Alexey View Post
    Just wanted to ask you to inform me if you are meeting SUCCESS in your Projecy Management tool... We desperately need it to be implemented ASAP...

Thank you,
    willingly to assist,
    Regards
    Alexey
    It going fairly well, I have a proof of concept back end server in Ruby on Rails. What I am curious is, would you as a user mind installing ruby on rails to make this work, or would you rather just stick with Java?

resuccess is offline New Member

Default Project Management

Thank you for the information. I appreciate your taking the time to keep us layman informed.

Thank you again!

http://www.thebusinesssuccessgroup.com

Ericx is offline Loyal Member

Default dotProject Zimlet

We have a modified version of dotProject that we are using for ProjectManagement.

I'm going to start a new post on the forums to see if others are interested.
    EricX

Thread Information