Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What IDE and frameworks are used by Zimbra staff?

jtroxel is offline Member

Question Client-side (only) development

One thing that really slows me down is deploying to a (remote) zimbra server for every change to my client-code. Any thoughts on how to streamline this?

I am thinking about a process, manual but ultimately automated, for creating an environment where javascript changes can be reviewed almost immediately. Even if I set up a local install, I think the cycle will still be 10s of seconds. The client-code-localization process would go something like this:
    • Save the HTML for the main page. This will be edited manually, but can ultimately be the template.

• Change the javascript references to use the unzipped versions.

• Change all server URLs to absolute paths.

• Copy the HTML file and all the necessary JS, CSS, GIF, etc. files into a development and testing area. When you are satisfied, merge your changes back to your source tree.

Is this idea way off base? Any better ideas? Thanks in advance.

- John

KevinH is offline Expert Member

John with a local dev install .js changes take ~3-5 seconds (on my MacBook Pro) to copy over by running the dev-sync target in ANT. Sure it's not as fast as a local save then reload of the browser but the environment is a bit more complex than that. When just trying things in JavaScript or CSS we edit a test file directly in the WebRoot so those can be tested with just a save and browser reload.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

sshgz is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJosh
    Yes, I did that, thanks. The one drawback is that its a new copy of Eclipse, but I'll deal with it.

Getting AjaxTk to work using Ant and the war task was very simple. However, I was expecting tighter integration with WTP (e.g. getting interpreted as a "Dynamic Web Project" with all the goodies that entails). I haven't really looked at the build all that closely, so perhaps it's not amenable to "live" deployment.

Indeed, being new to Ajax development my mind is reeling from the fact that there are so few JSP pages, and everything is done in JavaScript. You have ported SWT (and then some) to JavaScript! Holy mackerel!

One issue that I can see is that even the basic examples are very, very heavy - 1MB of script for the Data View example. Any hints for those that must support dialup users?
    How to build the development environment with eclipse and wtp and ant.
    I am a new person to eclipse and wtp and ant and zimbra.

Could you tell me your experience on it.

Thank you.

czaveri is offline Former Zimbran

Default From User to Developer: Zimbra Developer Roadmap

I am tremendously pleased by Zimbra and would like to contribute to the project. However, I am not sure what Roadmap I can take in order to gather the pre-requisites for contribution of any kind.

My skill-set includes to lesser or greater degree:
    Perl, MySQL, HTML/XHTML, XML, CSS, JavaScript, Core Java, etc. I have also done a few "tiny" projects in Ajax.

Nevertheless, I am willing to learn, improve and add to this list if it helps me add any value to the project. I was particularly interested in integrating Alfresco with Zimbra. I have working knowledge of Alfresco ECM.

Is someone already working on this? Has any code come into existence yet?

Is it possible for you to help me develop a Roadmap for education in order to be able to add to Zimbra?

Thank-you,

Sincerely,

Chintan Zaveri.
    Regards,

Chintan Zaveri
    (Yet another ZIMBRAN!)

"Dhundhne par Bhagwan bhi ..."

sasha is offline Loyal Member

My goal is to make custom modifications to LDAP when a new user account is added in zimbra admin console .

First of all , is this LDAP code all in AJAX ? AJAX is still calling some code from the ZimbraServer right ? I am still trying to figure out where to put breakpoints ...

Secondly , when I check-out the projects from svn , I am not getting a Dynamic Web Project just an ordinary Java project ... is this what zimbra development team are using as well ? Is it still possible to debug the project this way ? Or do I need to convert to Dynamic Web Project ?

Quote Originally Posted by sasha
    My goal is to make custom modifications to LDAP when a new user account is added in zimbra admin console .

First of all , is this LDAP code all in AJAX ? AJAX is still calling some code from the ZimbraServer right ? I am still trying to figure out where to put breakpoints ...

Secondly , when I check-out the projects from svn , I am not getting a Dynamic Web Project just an ordinary Java project ... is this what zimbra development team are using as well ? Is it still possible to debug the project this way ? Or do I need to convert to Dynamic Web Project ?
    We use both Eclipse and IDEA, for debugging the client (JS) code you can use Venkman, MS script debugger, or FireBug. The admin UI will talk SOAP to the Zimbra server for access to LDAP.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by czaveri
    Is it possible for you to help me develop a Roadmap for education in order to be able to add to Zimbra?
    Writing Zimlets are the quickest way to contribute. You could try writing a Alfresco Zimlet to integrate the two.

czaveri is offline Former Zimbran

Thanks, Kevin,

I will try this. :-)

Regards,
    Regards,

Chintan Zaveri
    (Yet another ZIMBRAN!)

"Dhundhne par Bhagwan bhi ..."

Kevin , thanx for the info ... I checked out three projects : Ajax , ZimbraWebClient and ZimbraServer ... I am not sure how these projects are related . Is Ajax and ZimbraWebClient talking to ZimbraServer code ? If so , how do I debug and step through the code of ZimbraServer ? Or any server-side code for that matter ? This would be absolutely necessary in any development scenario : I have to be able to step through server-side code ... bare-bones eclipse will not let me do it I don't think ... I tried installing myeclipse plug-in but it doesn't recognise the file structure of the projects I checked out from svn . So I am a little confused as to how exactly you guys developed your code .

P.S. I also tried using eclipse's WebTools but it doesn't look like it helps ... I think i need to convert the projects to Dynamic Web Projects ... there doesn't appear to be a way to that from an existing project .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information