Thread: Zimbra mail development questions

Default Zimbra mail development questions

Hello,

Totally new to the forums so let me start by saying 'Hi!'. I have limited programming experience using VB and Avenue.

We use Zimbra mail here at my workplace, have about 50 workstations. It has worked great for us. I've noticed in mail messages that certain texts have automatic links (dates, etc.). I'm looking to do that to our job numbers that are texts in our office emails...linking them to a database with write ups for each job. So if the user clicked on the job number in an email a new browser tab would open up showing the job write up (html).

I need to know which language and package would be best used for the programming and ANY other information that would help me get started. Admittedly, I'm basically starting at zero programming knowledge other than what I listed above (and even that was rudimentary).

Regards,
    Matt
    Geography is where it's at!

carr is offline Active Member

I think that this is perfect for a zimlet. AFAIK even the zimlet tutorial is doing something very similar.
    Take a look at the zimlet whitepaper and the example, then ask again.

good luck!

Baylink is offline Elite Member

Yep, you are definitely talking about writing a Zimlet.

Check out the wiki, specifically here, and here , and let us know how you come along.

Welcome aboard.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

Thanks for the replies. I will let you know how it's going after I get started. We're still in production mode and I won't have the time to dedicate to learning the Zimbra ins and outs for another month.

Again, thanks much!

Regards,
    Matt

Alright, I now have time to work on learning some stuff so I'm back to my idea listed in the first post. Have downloaded/installed:

• Java SE Development Kit 6u10
    • Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers
    • Apache Ant 1.7.1
    • Zimbra Desktop

Even though we're using Zimbra web mail in the office I'm doing develpment with the desktop version to keep me isolated from our real mail system. You know, in the event I do something stupid it won't trash our mail system. Have created a '_dev' dir as instructed here.

Anyways, I'm looking at the 'Hello World' example here and would like to carry it out. Problem is that it leaves a lot of holes where the assumption is made that I know what I'm doing.

Questions:
    • $ = ?? In first line it shows this. Does it represent a specific dir?
    • Specific software/dirs to carry out the commands listed (deploy, listZimlets)?
    • 'Change owner to "zimbra" - I have no idea. There's no user "zimbra" to change to.

I understand that these are probably very rudimentary questions to all of you but please bear with me. If I can get through this cycle one time I should be good to go.

Thanks much,
    Matt

deepblue is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

Hi PerfectStranger,

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectStranger View Post

Even though we're using Zimbra web mail in the office I'm doing develpment with the desktop version to keep me isolated from our real mail system.

Thanks much,
    Matt
    Although I guess it is possible (in some way) to create Zimlets for the desktop client,
    I never tried this. The way you should go is:

setup a testing/development Zimbra Server (VMware or XEN with limited ressources is ok)
    and create and test your Zimlet on this machine.

Many Zimlets can be written in pure Javascript and XML.

Regards
    Thomas

Thread Information