Thread: Zimbra in Fedora

jhibbets is offline New Member

Default Zimbra in Fedora

There has been some recent discussion in the Fedora community about making Zimbra an RPM and getting Zimbra into Fedora. Fedora Package Maintainer, Rakesh Pandit, is ready to lead the effort.

• Wanna help & contribute?
    • Already using Fedora and want to see Zimbra available to millions of users with a simple, one-command install? :::: yum install zimbra

Check out the ISV Special Interest Group (SIG) at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/ISV and join the mailing list at https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listi...a-isv-sig-list

In full disclosure, I do work for Red Hat, but this is such a great idea that it seems inevitable for Zimbra to get into Fedora.

kanarip is offline Starter Member

FWIW, packaging in Fedora helps Zimbra develop excellent packages for the Enterprise Linux branch as well.

In the interest of full disclosure I do not work for Red Hat and I'm one of the helping techies in the Fedora Independent Software Vendor Special Interest Group offering my help to get Zimbra packaged.

chacha_chaudhry is offline Starter Member

/me is Rakesh Pandit

Hi all, I had been using zimbra and trying to list all dependencies for packaging it. There are two things which will be great help

1. It would be great if whole zimbra source code (most recent stable) is uploaded at some place in (may be tar.gz or tar.bz2 compressed file).

Currently, if I am right we need to checkout code using preforce and then build.

2. Download page already has rpm files for Fedora 7. It seems there had been some effort for packaging it. It would be very cool if spec file are available.

Cheers,
    Rakesh Pandit

jhibbets is offline New Member

RHX on the YPL -

The RHX team wanted the Zimbra community to see the latest blog post that we've released:

Zimbra Leverages Red Hat Exchange to Navigate License Issue
    Red Hat News | Zimbra Leverages Red Hat Exchange to Navigate License Issue

mmorse is offline Moderator

Thanks for all the help with the license & keep up the good work guys!

In addition to the work with dev on repositories, have you guys given any thought to putting together Fedora 8, 9, & 64bit community build standalone binaries?
    Bug 25713 - Fedora 8/9 Support for FOSS (GNR) Bug 19920 - Fedora x64 version (not yet targeted)
    Maybe you could team up with this group to distribute them SourceForge.net: Zimbra Community Builds

(There's tarballs up at the ZimbraCommunity SF site.)

We did away with official tarballs a while ago for several reasons. One is to get people used to grabbing coded from the public perforce box, plus our tarballs never included all the thirdparty elements and we found people had a smoother time just grabbing everything necessary rather then hunting them all down. We do have something else in the works that's going to hook up to the public cache that I won't spill the beans on now
    Building Zimbra using Perforce - Zimbra :: Wiki & Franklin README - Zimbra :: Wiki (grab the zcs/FRANKLIN-509 branch)

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    The depot.zimbra.com (internal) and codes.zimbra.com (public) are synced every 30 minutes providing you with seriously up to date code.

We tried tar balls (one of the suggestions), and to be quite honest, it is a real pain. A serious pain on our part. There's dependency and tree structure issues, and that really isn't repository access. It's a file. If we have a file, do we include eng docs, and deprecated dirs, etc. The list of possible issues goes on and on and on. Then there are export restrictions. Another issue is how up to date the tar file is. Some people want cutting edge. Others don't really care. If we do a tar file, we don't have the chance to build one every night. The list continues.
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-10-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Thread Information