Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Persistent chatroom

pebcomputing is offline Active Member

Default me too

I'm here in the dark with greenrenault. Pidgin does not seem to let me list current rooms, nor add rooms (that button's greyed out) even logged in to pidgin as the zimbra administrator. I haven't found any clear docs on how to control conf. rooms server side either.

Help?

By the way, is there ever going to be any way inside the zimbra webclient to access these conf. rooms (yes, i read the bug, but it's unclear if this is intended to be "fixed" or not), and is there or will there ever be a way to multi-chat or broadcast-message without conference rooms??

~~~~~~UPDATE~~~~~~
    Pidgin 2.5.4 did not work as mentioned above, however Spark 2.5.8 client accessed and created a new conference room as per the instructions earlier in the thread perfectly. Perhaps a newer version of Pidgin is required?? This only seems to work for me, however, on zimbra 6.+ and while logged in to Spark as a zimbra administrator. Furthermore, it seems to only work using the zimbra root "server" (conference.zserver.com), not a mere zimbra "domain" (conference.zdomain.com).
    Last edited by pebcomputing; 09-25-2009 at 12:52 AM. Reason: updated info.

rebroken is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

Has anyone managed to connect to a persistent chatroom using Adium? If so, can they enlighten me on the procedure?

Thanks, Andy

kapshure is offline Active Member

I am with a few other commenter's here:

a) does the conference room need to be created on the server side first?
    b) I have tried using the Spark client and Adium to connect to the server and both apps give me incorrect username/password error messages. I am using my standard user account and the Zimbra admin account and I get the same thing.

if group chat is turned on by default, how do I connect to this group chat from the web client/ZWC?

and I've read the Zimbra Wiki's for each Adium and Spark posting, and I've seen the links to the bugs listed by mmorse, but I still can't get this to connect

Thanks for any help

ArcaneMagus is offline Moderator

To create a conference room you simply join a conference that doesn't exist, remember that the "server" is conference.domain.com (even if that doesn't exist in DNS).

If you had read the thread or looked at the bugs you would have seen that the conference / group chat is not available in the web client. Support for this is Bug 31738 - Add ui for conference rooms (chat room).

Do you have a valid SRV record setup? If not are you manually specifying the server, port, and ssl settings correctly?

gcampbel is offline New Member

I am also curious if the chat room/conference room functionality via the ZWC will capture the contents of everyone's discussion in each user's "Chats" folder, or... only in the MySQL db.

I am measuring two choices: write my own report on the chat room content directly from the MySQL db vs. wait for a chat room UI in the ZWC and hope the contents of the rooms show in each participating member's "Chats" folder. Any recommendations?

How would concatenating the contents of the message in each users folder be any different from the history on the server? Other then users can delete the messages in the chat folder...

In case you haven't tried connecting with an external client, every time I join the "test" chat room I have occasionally messed around with the server plays back the contents of the room to me. I have no idea how much of this history it will play back to each person that connects though as there is probably only ~20 lines in there from me testing things.

gcampbel is offline New Member

I may be too new for this, but the history on the server I was only able to find in the muc* tables in MySQL. Where else would I find the content?

The nature of capturing the chat room content in each users' Chat folder (though understandably redundant) is that any member has immediate access to anything discussed at any time they like.

I do connect with an external client (Pidgin). If I understand what you mean, you're saying that when you join the room, you get some amount of history from the room prior to your arrival - is that correct? That certainly isn't useless, and Pidgin itself can keep logs, but I genuinely prefer the idea that the message store keeps this information based on the join/leave events.
    I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks.

Just did a bit of further testing and it turns out that that was just my clients history, not the server sending it. I am sorry for misleading you.

However... the server does play back all messages in a conversation if you join a chat room that already has users connected. So for example if user1 and user2 join a chat room and start to have a conversation, everything that has been said since the first user connected is played back to user3 when they join.

Mace is offline Active Member

I know I am just jumping in here, but, how is support for the web client using chat rooms going? Is it possible this will be added to Zimbra any time soon? It would be great to be able to have chat rooms accessable in the IM contact bar.

Thanks,
    Mace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information