Thread: Adding a random signature(/mail-footer) with every outgoing message

jasper is offline Member

Default Adding a random signature(/mail-footer) with every outgoing message

Hello,

Can we add a random signature/mail-footer to all outgoing messages. (i.e a different mail-footer message say random quote, or some such text)

Is this possible?

It appears that there is no easy way to add a even a constant disclaimer/signature(system-wide) to all outgoing messages as of today.

Please advice.
    Thanks

uxbod is offline Moderator

jasper is offline Member

Default Re:

Hello,

Thankyou, I have seen those links hence my comments - there is no easy way ;-). Both the links talk about messing around with PostFix or Alter-Mime etc, at unix level.

For a just ordinary Zimbra Administrator (who only logs in through the UI to create accounts, manage domains and such); i thought this option should exist in Admin UI.

Also, i think there is no hope for someone who wants to insert a random footer message in every outgoing message ! (the way yahoo mail does, by inserting a random advertisement link or a nice quote etc.)

Will do the profile update:-)
    Thanks.

[QUOTE=jasper;87610]Also, i think there is no hope for someone who wants to insert a random footer message in every outgoing message ! (the way yahoo mail does, by inserting a random advertisement link or a nice quote etc.)[QUOTE]
    If disclaimer is being read from a text file then all you require is a job (cron) which generates the random text and updates that file. If you wanted to be clever you would write a perl script which would act as a filter and read the ad/quote from a database. You could even record stats on how many times each one had been added to emails. Many possibilities but do appreciate for a novice it is not so easy Great way to learn though is through a little project like this

jasper is offline Member

Default Re:

Thanks uxbod, appreciate your response.

One issue seems to be that those extensions are not part of the zimbra code. It is always easier to convince your customers and management to allow adding such things to a deployment, if it is part of officially supported zimbra code (as against from a contributor.. even though it may be good).

Also, does Zimbra provide any hooks for developers - so that they can parse the message text on the server side say for example to look for some key-words or examine message attachment for its type. I actually want to insert mail-footer/signature text based on that. Any hint at all in this direction...would be useful.

Or do i have to start studying code :-( and figuring out how to modify, compile and deploy it!

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    Also, does Zimbra provide any hooks for developers - so that they can parse the message text on the server side say for example to look for some key-words or examine message attachment for its type. I actually want to insert mail-footer/signature text based on that. Any hint at all in this direction...would be useful.
    Easiest way in my opinion would be to use Postfix content filters. This article is old but gives you a idea of how it could be achieved. Hook this with the disclaimer and you would be good to go

Thread Information