Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Per User Backup for FOSS edition

aprobst is offline Starter Member

I would like to take some questions with you. I'm using version 6.0.1_GA_1816.DEBIAN5 DEBIAN5 FOSS edition. Run scripts zimbra_backup_full.sh, zimbra_backup_all_users.sh, zimbra_backup_user.sh, zimbra_functions.sh e zimbra_restore_user.sh. The backup is successful. Let's assume that my disk where you installed Zimbra der problem. I need to reinstall zimbra, how can I restore all e-mail accounts and personal information (messages, contacts, calendar). If I go back to zimbra entire folder and run the installation know that everything will go back as it was before, but if I want to do a fresh install and recover only some accounts, is it possible?

Thanks

Ono-Sendai is offline New Member

That is what the full system backup would be for. These backup scripts are useful for individual mailbox backups which allow you to restore an individual mailbox in the event that a user decides to delete all of his/her email and then clear the trash or some other equally intelligent "stupid user trick".

As I stated in my posts above the restore using these backup scripts is serviceable, but not perfect. I have not yet been able to get the calendar to restore properly, but all other data can be restored properly if you follow the proper procedure which is not documented with the scripts.

Keep in mind that these backup are tied to the user ID or whatever its called by zimbra which means if the user account/mailbox is removed then the backup is useless.

A full system backup will allow you to fully restore the server in the event that your machine takes a dump one afternoon, but it is not a great solution if you need to restore one users mailbox from three days ago.

Hope this helps
    Ono-sendai

cbail is offline Starter Member

Default Restore Script?

Congratulations.

Your backup script works fine... but, when the restore script will be avaiable?

jayarajmohan is offline Special Member

how to restore the user mailbox ?

marisu is offline Loyal Member

Default restore !!!

how to restore ? nobody give a response ?
    Ask Forever...

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by marisu View Post
    how to restore ? nobody give a response ?
    When I last posted in this thread May last year there was no restore feature, a user has added a restore (check post #18) feature - use that and test it. You should be aware that you use it at your own risk, I'd suggest you try it on a test server.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

marisu is offline Loyal Member

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot ! I will have a try.
    Ask Forever...

ict4schools is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the script. However, I do detect some sort of problem. When restoring the mailbox, you'll get the storage, which is a flat directory, with no folder structure at all and the MySQL datastore (See: Zimbra Server - Zimbra :: Wiki).

Now when restoring the mailbox, restoring the storage is no problem. But when restoring the folder structure, using the MySQL datastore. You should only restore the items with the correct mailbox_id. This script however dumps the complete mboxgroup database. Which is, in my opinion a bit to much of a hassle. And will restore other accounts as well, which will leave them with indexes to deleted files as well.

I prefer to add the following lines to zimbra_backup_user.sh

line 105
    Code:
    zimbra_dump_sql "${mailbox} mail_item --no-create-info --where \"mailbox_id='${mailbox_id}'\" > ${current_backup}/mail_item.sql"
    zimbra_dump_sql "${mailbox} appointment --no-create-info --where \"mailbox_id='${mailbox_id}'\" > ${current_backup}/appointment.sql"
    zimbra_dump_sql "${mailbox} data_source_item --no-create-info --where \"mailbox_id='${mailbox_id}'\" > ${current_backup}/data_source_item.sql"
    zimbra_dump_sql "${mailbox} imap_folder --no-create-info --where \"mailbox_id='${mailbox_id}'\" > ${current_backup}/imap_folder.sql"
    zimbra_dump_sql "${mailbox} imap_message --no-create-info --where \"mailbox_id='${mailbox_id}'\" > ${current_backup}/imap_message.sql"
    zimbra_dump_sql "${mailbox} open_conversation --no-create-info --where \"mailbox_id='${mailbox_id}'\" > ${current_backup}/open_conversation.sql"
    zimbra_dump_sql "${mailbox} pop3_message --no-create-info --where \"mailbox_id='${mailbox_id}'\" > ${current_backup}/pop3_message.sql"
    zimbra_dump_sql "${mailbox} revision --no-create-info --where \"mailbox_id='${mailbox_id}'\" > ${current_backup}/revision.sql"
    zimbra_dump_sql "${mailbox} tombstone --no-create-info --where \"mailbox_id='${mailbox_id}'\" > ${current_backup}/tombstone.sql"
    This will enable you to restore the datastore per user, instead of per mailbox group.

Thanks for the script though, which is a great help.

maccbian42 is offline New Member

Thanks for the effort in scripts. I have tested 'zimbra_backup_user.sh' and it appears to work fine. Then i ran 'zimbra_restore_user.sh' (adding the lines that ict4schools posted above). Everything seems to be restored fine. But in the process of restoration, i recieve this twoo errors:

Mon May 24 08:31:44 CST 2010 : Processing manu@testmail.usac.edu.gt
    Mon May 24 08:31:57 CST 2010 : Getting group_id and index_volume_id
    Mon May 24 08:31:57 CST 2010 : zimbraId : 1073a1b5-390f-43b3-9cbd-ec49cd441e02
    Mon May 24 08:31:57 CST 2010 : Id : 11
    Mon May 24 08:31:57 CST 2010 : Group : 11
    Mon May 24 08:31:57 CST 2010 : Mailbox : mboxgroup11
    Mon May 24 08:31:57 CST 2010 : Quota Used : 3500
    Mon May 24 08:31:57 CST 2010 : Getting message_volume_id and index_volume_id
    Mon May 24 08:31:58 CST 2010 : Getting index volume path
    Mon May 24 08:31:58 CST 2010 : Getting message volume path
    Mon May 24 08:31:58 CST 2010 : index1 path : /opt/zimbra/index
    Mon May 24 08:31:58 CST 2010 : message1 path : /opt/zimbra/store
    Mon May 24 08:32:07 CST 2010 : manu@testmail.usac.edu.gt is now in maintenance mode.
    Mon May 24 08:32:07 CST 2010 : Restoring index_n_store tarball to /opt/zimbra_cache/manu@testmail.usac.edu.gt
    ls: cannot access /opt/zimbra_cache/manu@testmail.usac.edu.gt/opt/zimbra/index: No such file or directory
    ls: cannot access /opt/zimbra_cache/manu@testmail.usac.edu.gt/opt/zimbra/store: No such file or directory
    Mon May 24 08:32:07 CST 2010 : Restoring mboxgroup11 < /opt/zimbra_backup/manu@testmail.usac.edu.gt/2010-05-24-0827//mboxgroup11.sql
    Mon May 24 08:32:09 CST 2010 : Restoring zimbra < /opt/zimbra_backup/manu@testmail.usac.edu.gt/2010-05-24-0827//mailbox.sql
    ERROR 1062 (23000) at line 25: Duplicate entry '11' for key 1
    Mon May 24 08:32:09 CST 2010 : Restoring zimbra < /opt/zimbra_backup/manu@testmail.usac.edu.gt/2010-05-24-0827//mailbox_metadata.sql
    ERROR 1062 (23000) at line 25: Duplicate entry '11-CONTACT_RANKINGS' for key 1
    Mon May 24 08:32:09 CST 2010 : Restoring zimbra < /opt/zimbra_backup/manu@testmail.usac.edu.gt/2010-05-24-0827//out_of_office.sql
    Mon May 24 08:32:09 CST 2010 : Restoring zimbra < /opt/zimbra_backup/manu@testmail.usac.edu.gt/2010-05-24-0827//scheduled_task.sql
    Mon May 24 08:32:09 CST 2010 : Restoring zimbra < /opt/zimbra_backup/manu@testmail.usac.edu.gt/2010-05-24-0827//table_maintenance.sql
    Mon May 24 08:32:19 CST 2010 : manu@testmail.usac.edu.gt is now in active mode.

can comebody tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

exalab is offline Member

I have try to backup user files with the zimbra_backup_user.sh and when i restore with the script zimbra_restore_user.sh i have this error:

[root@zimbra zimbra_backup]# ./zimbra_restore_user.sh user@domain.it /opt/zimbra_cache/user\@domain.it/
    Thu Sep 30 11:54:07 CEST 2010 : Processing user\@domain.it
    grep: /opt/zimbra_cache/user\@domain.it//ga.txt: No such file or directory
    * There seems to be a problem with account user\@domain.it *
    * Either the account doesn't exist or the backup and *
    * current zimbraIds don't match *
    * Restore operation cancelled. *

Don't find the ga.txt file....backup script don't create ga.txt file....any idea?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information