Thread: problem using MTA from linux

needhelpnow is offline Active Member

Default problem using MTA from linux

hi,

i just finished installing the zimbra OS from franklin on win xp. I use default user user1@winxphost as the user. I have set up ZIMBRA_HOSTNAME to the hostname of the zimbra RHEL4 host that is running the same 5.0.2 instance.

Everything on my winxp instance works except that I am not able to send emails via the MTA running on my linux server. the zMTAHack.pl just says "replaying message... message sent!" But nothing really happens. the email does not reach the recipient address.

The domain name on the zimbra instance on the RHEL4 is mycompany.com. But the real hostname of the host is myhost.mycompany.com. That's why the ZIMBRA_HOSTNAME on my winxp is set as myhost.mycompany.com. Is this a wrong setup? How do I find out why my mails are not going through the MTA? Is there a log file I can check?

Please help.

Thanks

uxbod is offline Moderator

thanks uxbod.

I checked all the log files but could not get a clue as to where is the mail delivery failing.

The zMTAHack.pl says message sent.
    The /var/log/zimbra.log on the linux host says nothing about mails coming to it.
    No other logs give me a clue as to what is wrong.

Once again here's my setup.
    -> I have zimbra server running on winxp machine say winxphost.compA.com and my other zimbra server is running on linux host say linuxhost.compA.com and the domain name configured on that zimbra instance is mydomain.compA.com.
    -> The ZIMBRA_HOSTNAME env var on my winxp is set as linuxhost.compA.com and it is pingable from my winxp host.
    -> I have all the perl packages installed like DNS, SMTP etc and zMTAHack.pl runs fine all the time.

But when I send an email to user@mydomain.compA.com it says "got local message" and when I send an email to user1@gmail.com it says "replaying message to... message sent!" But in both cases, the message does not really go anywhere and also the log file of the MTA on linux host does not say anything at all.

Somebody please help me. I'm really stuck here.

Thanks

I resolved the issue. It seems the value for ZIMBRA_HOSTNAME env variable on my winXP was wrong. it was pointing to MTA server running on linux box. And I thought that was the right thing to do. But later on, I realized that it should be the hostname of the same winXP box where Zimbra is installed. So after I changed the ZIMBRA_HOSTNAME to winxphost.compA.com, it started working. I just do not know why do we have to create this env variable to point it to itself. What are the technical reasons behind that? If someone can shed some light on it, that would be great.

Thanks

Thread Information