Thread: Solaris 10 BUILD8 released

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Default Solaris 10 BUILD8 released

serivo is offline OpenSource Builder

Default Thanks!

Thank you very much!
    It successfully upgraded our zimbra free installation with 4 domains and 70 accounts, with about 8 Gigs of mail in /opt/zimbra/store. I did it today on the copy restored from backup. Upgrade succeded, and everything seems working O.K!

--
    Sergey

ringnebula is offline Loyal Member

Many thanks for getting a new sparc build out. I'm doing a clean install of Solaris right now to test it out.
    Jacob Turner
    Ringnebula Systems - Ukiah, CA

markwal is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by serivo View Post
    Thank you very much!
    It successfully upgraded our zimbra free installation with 4 domains and 70 accounts, with about 8 Gigs of mail in /opt/zimbra/store. I did it today on the copy restored from backup. Upgrade succeded, and everything seems working O.K!

--
    Sergey
    Your using this in production?

Finally got around to getting this installed on sparc and x86 boxes for testing. A few minor issues, but so far so good. Great work getting the installer to run as smoothly as the linux version.
    Jacob Turner

that's great! please let me know every tiny minor error you get so I can investigate and fix for the next release.

any feedback on performance etc would be great.

thanks for installing and testing

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    that's great! please let me know every tiny minor error you get so I can investigate and fix for the next release.

any feedback on performance etc would be great.

thanks for installing and testing
    One thing that should be noted is that even though you have a FQDN in /etc/hosts you also need to change the hostname to a FQDN in /etc/nodename and hostname.(interface) before installing zimbra. Antivirus and Antispam services won't start correctly if you have a short hostname in those files. I think this is because they pickup the hostname by doing a uname -n but I'm not sure. The other services will run happily with a short hostname.

zmsetup.pl seems to get stuck sometimes on the sparc build for me but after looking through logs I haven't seen a reason.

Performance of the X86 version is very fast on my test box (2x2.66Ghz Xeon, 2GB ram, 4x36GB 15k U320 disks in a raidz pool).

Performance on a 440mhz Netra T1 with 1GB ram and a 36GB disk feels about the same as it does on a 1Ghz PIII with 1GB of ram (running linux). Reasonable for a user or two, but too slow for much more. Watching prstat or top, most of the slowness is while java is crunching away after you click on something in the web interface.

Interesting to note - the load on the netra hovers between 1.5 and 2.0 while sitting idle. On the old PIII is neer 0 while idle.
    Jacob Turner

One thing that should be noted is that even though you have a FQDN in /etc/hosts you also need to change the hostname to a FQDN in /etc/nodename and hostname.(interface) before installing zimbra. Antivirus and Antispam services won't start correctly if you have a short hostname in those files. I think this is because they pickup the hostname by doing a uname -n but I'm not sure. The other services will run happily with a short hostname.
    Interesting. TEST8 antivirus has always started up cleanly for me - the antispam sometimes takes a few minutes to load and update the db. Will add this to the issues list, thanks.

zmsetup.pl seems to get stuck sometimes on the sparc build for me but after looking through logs I haven't seen a reason.
    If you could send me the install.log and zmsetup.log that would be much appreciated.

Performance on a 440mhz Netra T1 with 1GB ram and a 36GB disk feels about the same as it does on a 1Ghz PIII with 1GB of ram (running linux). Reasonable for a user or two, but too slow for much more. Watching prstat or top, most of the slowness is while java is crunching away after you click on something in the web interface.

Interesting to note - the load on the netra hovers between 1.5 and 2.0 while sitting idle. On the old PIII is neer 0 while idle.
    Wow, a T1 huh! That's an old Ultrasparc IIi isn't it? They are as slow as molasses to start with, I had one in a datacentre up until recently but never used it as it took too long to do anything! In particular if you overcommit RSS obviously it will page out and ufs IO on these old boxes is truly horrible. If your load on the netra is that high, reduce memory usage, and look at the zimbra crontab and reduce the frequency of the stats collector or anything else that runs frequently.

Thanks for testing and feeback!

Thread Information