Thread: Why does zimbra need its own mysql server

Peter_V is offline New Member

Default Why does zimbra need its own mysql server

And why does it need two of them, logger and zimbra (with mailbox mm) ? Cant it be installed into mysql sever who is allready installed on the machine? At least, why cant logger and zimbra share one? Now I got 3 mysql servers running om my server, Isnt that a overkill or what. What am I missing here..

Peter

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Zimbra's MySQL DB's should be considered internal to the application. This allows us to tune this specfically for Zimbra's use. The mailbox DB and logger DB have quite different usage so by being seperate we can tune them for their particular use. For each Zimbra store there is a mailbox DB, but there only needs to be a single logger DB for the entire system. So for a single node install you'll get two on the same host. For larger installs the logger may be on it's own host.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default one more..

Hi again
    Okey, thank you for your answer. Now I know why it has 2 of them. I dont have so many people using e-server so I wonder if it is possible to merge this two db:s into my own db. Memory/RAM is a big issue here, I have 2Gb of it but that is all. My mysql server takes a big bite from it and so do Apache (tomcat). I have allso more ram eating programs on this server so really need to make Zimbra to Zimbra lite if you know what I mean. Dont get me wrong, I really like Zimbra but right now it is killing me. Whould it be much work to get it into my own db and can you point me in the right direction where I need tho change the code if it is feasible.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Default smaller footprint

If you want a smaller footprint for zimbra:

First, remove the logger - you don't need it (though you lose all statistics):
    zmloggerctl stop
    zmprov ms -zimbraServiceEnabled logger

If you can live without spell checking, you can turn off that service, too.

thanks marcmac for your answer. Not the fix I was looking for but its helps for now. i really want to merge the servers into one but that will take some time... Time i dont have.... damn.

Verbunk is offline Active Member

I too would like to explore using mysql with other applications. My situation is that I'm using debian so once Zimbra is installed debian complains that mysql is already installed when I try to install the debian provided package and it doesn't seem that I can properly hook anything else up to it. ...

Since the mysql zimbra installs is for zimbra, which is 'ok', it doesn't need to be standard at all, as in, doesn't inform debian it's installed and can run on a infrequently used port. I mean if it's off limits to other uses it doesn't need to be in the way right?

Does anyone know of a way to get the mysql zimbra installs for debian out of the way? Changing the port isn't enough I think ... I welcome any suggestions.

-J

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I don't use Debian but the mysql that zimbra install shouldn't get in the way of another instance of mysql. I have CentOS (RHEL ES) with zimbra installed and another instance of mysql installed without problems, the zimbra mysql does use a non-standard port.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

lfarkas is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    If you want a smaller footprint for zimbra:

First, remove the logger - you don't need it (though you lose all statistics):
    zmloggerctl stop
    zmprov ms -zimbraServiceEnabled logger
    this second command not working for me. are you sure this is the right syntax?
    thanks.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

It's missing the sever name.

zmprov ms SERVER -zimbraServiceEnabled logger
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Thread Information